Contest Announcment New event this weekend in Euharlee GA

Gowan

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
The organizers of this new contest asked me to put the word out to find some more teams, so here it is.

This is a non-sanctioned event, but it does pay $2,000 in prize money for only a $100 entry. Categories are "Beer Can" Chicken, ribs, pork shoulder and brisket. The venue is a grassy park that is level, well shaded with good power and water.

We're splitting up the JMS crew into three separate teams to cook this one just for fun. I think it will be a nice change from the more intense sanctioned shows - just a chance to kick back and relax with a little cooking for fun. We'd love to see as many of our friends out there as possible! Details, application and rules can be found here: http://euharlee.com/events_bbq.aspx

Hope to see you this weekend!

-Gowan

Too bad there was not more notice.

I put on a non-sanctioned just for fun event a year ago. Didn't get much response, but the ones that showed loved it...

Just like you said, a non pressured fun event. We did go by the basic "rules" and turn in times as they wanted to use it for a "practice" run before the season really hit last year.

Next year, try to get more notice out, and you just might pick up several more teams. This would have been a good weekend for us, as we are in a slump right now between comps.

Good luck, and don't forget the pics, or it never happened.... :rolleyes:

Bill

You're right Bill - the folks that are putting on this show did a fine job for their first time out and definitely learned a lot. They promise to start promoting the event several months in advance instead of weeks next year.

Weather was a good as it gets in Georgia summer (hot but no rain, with a nice occasional breeze) and everyone seemed to have fun. Here's the partial results - the rest will be posted on Euharlee.com within a week:

First Place Beer Can Chicken: Larry's Flaming Pits
First Place Ribs: Snouts Honor
First Place Pork: Civil War BBQ
First Place Brisket: Johnny Mitchell's Smokehouse

Reserve Grand: Larry's Flaming Pits
Grand Champion: Johnny Mitchell's Smokehouse

Back