50th Anniversary Q: The spent Rye Whiskey Oak Staves & Oak Blocks Special [w/ external pr0n]

This is not your pork!

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Unbelievable, I never thought I'm gonna reach that number! It's been a very slow year in Qing for me due to work, and it ONLY took me 2 years and 2 months to get to this point. :shocked:

My 50th Q had to be something special, so we added spent Oak Staves & Oak Blocks used for aging & flavoring 100% rye spirits with malted wheat (we call it "Korn") at cask strength of 65% ABV, resulting in some extraordinary fine Rye Whiskey (which actually can not be called like that because it didn't age in barrels for the required minimum time of 3 years) and some pork of course as well!

I'm almost afraid to tell, but this cook was about a knuckle of pork (from the hind calf) and a pork neck AGAIN! Third time in a row, what I say, both were on offer for the past two weeks. :)

I hope you don't mind that I do not post the pictures here this time, because that cook was meant as a special for our own forum (which is about distilling), and the photos are not hosted at photobucket but at our forum instead. The thread in question can be found here:

BBQing with spent Oak Staves & Oak Blocks @ StillDragon Community Forum

Thanks for watching!

Wow......the quality of your pictures is magnificent.....then the pork......absolutely fantastic!!!

Shot with my LG G2 mobile phone. :smile:

That looks really GOOD !
Here in USA guvment don't allow no shinin" so nobody does that kinda' thing. We all obey the laws over here. ;)

Here in Austria the situation is completely different, everybody who has access to certain fermentable material can make his own spirits (mostly fruit brandy) legally, if reported to customs and paying (a reduced rate of) alcohol tax. There are restrictions, like boiler volume max 150L, a column only up to 3 bubble plates and limitations on produced alcohol per year, but for the home distiller it's definitely better over here. It's mostly farmers who run such micro distilleries, but there is also a whole line of commercial small scale distilleries (with some different restrictions, but less limitations). Love the TV show Moonshiners btw. :wink:

great pictures where can you buy this rye?

We "aged" that Rye Whiskey (which can not officially be called like that, as mentioned in my initial posting) ourselves, a distiller friend from our MoB (= Masters of Booze) certification training treated us 11L of freshly distilled Rye spirit ("Korn") at cask strength for that oak woods trial. Have a look there:

StillDragon Europe: The Austrian Oak Trials
Masters of Booze
Cooking with Booze

:smile:

well done!!! :clap2:

Yes, I'm indeed proud of myself, I seem to have mastered the obstacle with getting it done right without foiling. There was a lot of failure involved in getting there, and I have honestly no idea why it always completely dried out before when bringing the IT up to a region around 190-200°F. I just love to have my pork fall-off-the-bone-tender, juicy but crispy.

This particular cook turned out extraordinary well, we had it warmed up for lunch and it was the same blast as yesterday evening fresh from the smoker. I'm really satisfied right now! :smile:

Wow, and all eaten up already (yesterday). That didn't last long at all! We had times when we ate close to a week from such Q. But well, looks like I have to smoke more often.

BTW That anniversary Q has lead to crazy inspiration in our forum, have a look at the two videos someone posted... :wink:

Back