MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:19 AM   #676
skorpio
Found some matches.

My newly rebuilt 20 year old MasterTouch, this grill has moved with me coast to coast 4 times and grilled in 10 states. You wouldn't know it to look at it, but there has probably been literally a ton of meat cooked in that kettle. Still waiting on a few parts, like the rollers for the lid and wire Performer charcoal baskets. I'm also going to be mounting 2 side kick board on either side. All fasteners are stainless this time around. I figure now it's good for another 20 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0102Post.jpg (39.6 KB, 522 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0104Post.jpg (78.8 KB, 526 views)
skorpio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2012, 04:49 AM   #677
Dave S
On the road to being a farker

Stunning red head Skorpio. What type of cleaner and pad do you use?

Old 01-30-2012, 06:07 AM   #678
skorpio
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
Stunning red head Skorpio. What type of cleaner and pad do you use?
Inside is just Easy-Off heavy duty oven cleaner overnight and about 2 rolls of paper towels, then SOS pads, then 0000 steel wool. Outside is SOS, 0000 steel wool, then rubbing compound followed by polishing compound. All the aluminum and stainless was finished off with Mothers Billet aluminum polish ( I restore old motorcycles, so I have all this stuff laying around ). Grates are new...obviously, so is the one touch and the ash bucket (it was corroded all the way through), but the ash bucket ring is a polished up original and the steel mount was derusted and painted with engine enamel , the rivet for the top damper is now a clevis pin with 2 washers and a spring ( all stainless steel ) which is way better than original, it keeps tension on it and will never get loose...and can be taken apart to clean it. Also replaced the triangle axle do-hickey and wheels, front leg got a crutch tip from the drug store. All the nuts that are inside the kettle are acorn nuts so there is no threads to get dirty.

So... could I have bought a new one touch gold for what I put in this? well yea, but it wouldn't be red and it wouldn't have had history... my history, so there you go. This grill has been my only means of cooking through the aftermath of 3 hurricanes, an earthquake and a windstorm. It's been grilled on in Chicago, Huntsville AL, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Charleston SC, Los Angeles, Tampa, and Naples FL. It's survived a dozen girlfriends, 2 German Sheperds (going on 3), a half a dozen cars, and several jobs. When I bought this grill web browsers weren't even a university research project yet and digital cell phones were still years away.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #679
BigBlock
is one Smokin' Farker

very good job looks gr8
BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #680
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

She's purdy! Thanks for the pics!
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2012, 04:11 AM   #681
skorpio
Found some matches.

My first Weber was a hand me down that was pre one touch and quite old when I got it. I picked that grill up and one of the rusted handles broke off and when it fell the legs went up through the bottom of the kettle. So this grill was really *my* first and only Weber that I bought. The apartment complex I live in put in gas community grills and told everyone to get rid of their personal grills, I put up a stink and have an exception in my lease for that grill, and it could be interpreted as that specific grill, which is another reason for the full out restore.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #682
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

Here is my grandfathers Weber BAR B QUE Kettle that was handed down to my Uncle and then to me. When he walked me out to his old dirty shed way back in the corner was one of my now prized possessions with rotted out non rolling wheels on it. Needless to say it went to my shed for a few years until I decided to spend under $5.00 on a new set of wheels on it and start using it. I used this grill along with my weber genesis silver c for several years until I decided to get my performer which somewhat put the oldie into semi retirement. She is 41 years old according to the United States patent website.
Here is a picture of my workforce 2005 Weber performer

1971 22 1/2 Weber Bar b Que kettle
Weber genesis silver c (gasser)
Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)
Fastest of the fast Thermapen's (digital camo with U. S. A flag)
MStoney72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #683
skorpio
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStoney72 View Post
Here is my grandfathers Weber BAR B QUE Kettle that was handed down to my Uncle and then to me. When he walked me out to his old dirty shed way back in the corner was one of my now prized possessions with rotted out non rolling wheels on it. Needless to say it went to my shed for a few years until I decided to spend under $5.00 on a new set of wheels on it and start using it. I used this grill along with my weber genesis silver c for several years until I decided to get my performer which somewhat put the oldie into semi retirement. She is 41 years old according to the United States patent website.
The appliances in my parents kitchen growing up were that color. I never understood why they called that brown "coppertone" though, I mean I guess it's the color of neglected copper. It looks in surprisingly good shape, you could probably get that looking almost new with not much effort.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:02 PM   #684
NeoTrout
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpio View Post
The appliances in my parents kitchen growing up were that color. I never understood why they called that brown "coppertone" though, I mean I guess it's the color of neglected copper. It looks in surprisingly good shape, you could probably get that looking almost new with not much effort.
The old Weber catalog I have calls that color "copper mist".

Klose 20x48 Deluxe Offset Pipe Smoker
Weber 22.5, Weber 22.5 w/Rotisserie
Weber Performer, Weber Ranch Kettle, 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Homer Simpson Smokey Joe
Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer, Blackstone 28" Griddle
Brinkmann Smoke'n Grill, UDS, Weber 26"
H-D FLHR
NeoTrout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #685
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

[QUOTE=NeoTrout;1933126]The old Weber catalog I have calls that color "copper mist". That's good to know, I never knew what the color was called. Thank you
Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)

Old 01-31-2012, 05:06 PM   #686
skorpio
Found some matches.

Yea, I suppose "Copper Mist" will insight one to buy more than what the color is really closer to, like "Old Penny" if we insist on naming it after something copper. But then again, if I had a 40 year old Weber, I'd want it to be a color like "Copper Mist", "Avocado", "Harvest Gold", or "Poppy Red".

Old 01-31-2012, 05:08 PM   #687
NS Mike D
Full Fledged Farker

better off posting this in another thread
La Caja China #2
Weber 22 Kettle
Brinkman Vertical Charcoal (out on loan)
Weber Q 200
Weber Summit Series Gasser
NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2012, 11:53 PM   #688
troytime
Full Fledged Farker

i REALLY like that stainless steel table on the performer.

want to make another for mine?
troytime is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #689
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by troytime View Post

Got em!
Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)

Old 02-01-2012, 05:40 AM   #690
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troytime View Post

I didn't even notice that. That is nice.

Tags
appreciation threads, kettle, Weber, weber kettle, weber kettle methods, weber kettle mods