Look at my door

PimpSmoke

is one Smokin' Farker
OK Bro's I need to seal this thing up like a vacu-suck. I will be installing a fireplace gasket around the door and using a draw latch for closure. I still gotta plug these holes. Thinking sheet metal, but don't have a welder and don't now how I'm going to get it to stay firm and seal up good.

Any idears? Pic of the firebox door front and back.

IMG_20110721_170819.jpg

IMG_20110721_170829.jpg

Do you want to close them off completely and permanetly? or are they part of your intake vents? what thickness is the door?

you could probably form a new door and put the hardware on it for the price of welding a cover over those holes... and you could make one pretty cheaply out of 16 ga if you know someone that has a leaf brake...

Do you want to close them off completely and permanetly? or are they part of your intake vents? what thickness is the door?

I think it's like 16 gauge. Yes thats part of the intake, I will be using a draft controller and need it sealed up so it doesn't leak air as best I can.

you could probably form a new door and put the hardware on it for the price of welding a cover over those holes... and you could make one pretty cheaply out of 16 ga if you know someone that has a leaf brake...

Would have to pay for that, want to be able to open the draw latch with the existing hinge.

I would go with sheet metal, and maybe some small flat stock or angle iron. Cut your sheet metal to cover the holes with some overlap. Use the flat stock or angle as reinforcement so the sheet metal doesn't buckle. Drill through the stock, sheet metal, and door and bolt it all down tight with some 1/4" or smaller stove bolts. that would work.

Probably.

I would go with sheet metal, and maybe some small flat stock or angle iron. Cut your sheet metal to cover the holes with some overlap. Use the flat stock or angle as reinforcement so the sheet metal doesn't buckle. Drill through the stock, sheet metal, and door and bolt it all down tight with some 1/4" or smaller stove bolts. that would work.

Probably.

Didn't think of reinforcing with angle, not a bad idea. hrrmm

+ 1 for what harbormaster said. I might add some of the same stuff you are sealing the door with. Add that between your door and sheet metal and I think you will be golden.

Back