Salmon

brdbbq

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
What purpose doesa cedar plank provide when grilling salmon ?

Always been told that the purpose is to give the fish a smokey flavor. Tried it once, got distracted and torched a perfectly good fish. No mas for me.

The cedar plank as it heats up (you don't want to burn it up) the oils come to the surface and flavor the fish. There are a number of good ways to handle salmon would be happy to pass on the recipe we have had published in national mags. Let me know.

Here you go:

"Official Cardogs BBQ Salmon"

Jim Minion was kind enough to share the "Official Cardogs BBQ Salmon" recipe with TVWB, and I've posted it below in its entirety.

Dry Rub
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 cup non-iodized table salt
3 TBSP granulated garlic powder
3 TBSP granulated onion 1 TBSP dried dill weed
1 TBSP dried savory
2 tsp dried tarragon
Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Turbinado sugar may be substituted for brown sugar. To substitute garlic salt and onion salt, reduce table salt to 1/2 cup and double garlic salt and onion salt to 6 TBSP.

Finishing Rub
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 TBSP granulated garlic powder
1 TBSP granulated onion 1 tsp dried savory
1 tsp dried tarragon
Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Turbinado sugar may be substituted for brown sugar.

Buy a fresh, 3-pound salmon fillet, preferably Sockeye or King. Remove the pin bones using tweezers or needle nose pliers. Do not remove the skin. Place skin-side down in a glass or stainless steel pan.

Pack the dry rub on the flesh side of the fillet, approximately 1/4" thick. Let the fillet rest in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours (the longer you leave the rub on, the stronger the salt flavor). Rinse the fillet in cool, clean water to remove the dry rub, then pat dry. Allow to dry for about 30 minutes, until the flesh becomes tacky.

Heat a barbecue grill to medium to medium-high. Sprinkle finishing rub on the fillet (twice what you would use as if you were heavy salt and peppering). Cook with the lid closed to an internal temp of 140-155*F (your preference) measured in the center of the thickest part of the fillet.

We recommend using wood to produce smoke while cooking. On a charcoal grill, just sprinkle a few wood chips on the coals. On a gas grill, place wood chips in a pouch made of aluminum foil. Poke holes in the top of the pouch and place it on the hottest spot under the grill. Alder is our wood of choice, but fruitwoods are a wonderful substitute.

You can also smoke it at lower temps of 225-250*F; this allows for more smoke on the fillets.

I know this may sound dumb, but if we're not supposed to smoke with cedar or softwoods because of the toxins in the oils, why is it a good idea to boil them out of the plank and into the food while grilling? :?

You soak the plank and as it heats the oils do come to the surface and it does flavor the samlon but you are not burning the wood. If you have problems with cedar I would not suggest you use cedar planks but you can do the same thing with Alder planks(not as noticable flavor as you get with cedar).

Are cedar planks reusable or are they one time then in the trash?

I torched mine the first time I did it :) so they were trash...
salmon was pretty tasty though...

next time I get "planks" they are hopefully oging to be cedar fence boards (if there are such a thing) cut down to size... untreated of course...

josh

next time I get "planks" they are hopefully oging to be cedar fence boards (if there are such a thing) cut down to size... untreated of course...
Josh, check to make sure you're using the right type of cedar if you try this. In woodworking terms there are two types of cedar, one is cedar chest cedar the other used in fencing and other exterior trim applications. One is eastern applachian cedar the other western red cedar, I never remember which is which. I don't know which is desireable for the salmon planks either but am sure you won't want the wrong one.

Western red cedar is the way to go, if you can get 1' to 1 1/2" material cut to length. They should last for years.

I really enjoy spreading the word, in another life I may have been a preacher or sold insurance, not sure which.

jminion said:
I really enjoy spreading the word, in another life I may have been a preacher or sold insurance, not sure which.

Preach on brother!

(My father-in-law was a preacher and a used car salesman. Wasn't that a strange combination?)

I sale new cars, used if you force me. Not all that strange. :roll:

Jim,

Can I post your recipe here is our recipe section?

Back