MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
swinn
Full Fledged Farker

Default Uds question

I am building my UDS soon and i have a question. How long of a price of pipe do I need to bring the ball valve up to a higher level instead of right off the miller on the bottom. This old fat boy don't want to bend over all the time. :D
Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Old 12-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd say pull a tape to your desired height and get that length. But it can't be higher than your exhuast, and I'm not sure how high you can get away with without causing problems with airflow.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
Mattzilla
Full Fledged Farker

Use your foot. That's what I do.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #4
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattzilla View Post
Use your foot. That's what I do.
Yep. Me too. Works fine!

Old 12-25-2012, 01:56 AM   #5
swamprb

Make Big Drum Smoker clones, and you won't need no steenking ball valves, pipe cap nipples or a length of pipe.

http://www.bigdrumsmokers.com/smokers.htm
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
-HAZARD-
Knows what a fatty is.

What their all saying is, is an up-tube intake isn't necessarily required on your UDS.

I however liked the look and added one to mine.

I think I measured out 2/3 the height of the barrel, and did that. Still have to bend down every now and then to regulate the other capped holes at the bottom. Unless your thinking one single intake vent....

Old 12-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Make Big Drum Smoker clones, and you won't need no steenking ball valves, pipe cap nipples or a length of pipe.

http://www.bigdrumsmokers.com/smokers.htm
Dude, those things are crazy expensive. Why would someone pay that much? Are they stainless?

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

I believe they have one model that's stainless. The rest are regular barrels though. You can build one just as good yourself. And for a fraction of the price too. You can google " redneck uds". I built mine the redneck style. Great design.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

We just extended the valve handle, not the pipe.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
Bludawg

Mine is 12 "

Old 12-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #11
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

If I had it to do over, I would do something like Bludaug's. You can look inside the valve to see exactly how far open it is.

Mine you have to stick your finger in the valve hole to feel how far open it is.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
If I had it to do over, I would do something like Bludaug's. You can look inside the valve to see exactly how far open it is.

Mine you have to stick your finger in the valve hole to feel how far open it is.
I use a 3/4" ball valve to regulate air. I can tell exactly where the ball opening is by the angle of the handle. After a few cooks, I know within a degree or two (of arc, not temp) where to put the handle to get 225F. Don't know why you'd need any more than that.

To the OP, I totally concur with the sentiment of extend the handle, not the intake pipe. I wouldn't want my air intake vertical anyway, lots of times I smoke in the rain and wouldn't want rain falling down the intake. Or BBQ sauce. Or chunks of charcoal. Or anything.

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
bo_b_q
On the road to being a farker

I went with the extended handle instead of extended intake after reading about the troubles people had with them (extended intakes that is) in the Mother of all UDS thread, works like a charm!
bo_b_q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
-HAZARD-
Knows what a fatty is.

With any ball type valve, you have to remember they are quite restrictive over open holes. And that little bit can be a pain in the Butt sometimes.

On my UDS with three (3) 3/4" capped intakes and one (1) upright 24" tube ball valve, I definitely miss a temperature range between the fully open ball valve with no caps off...and the ball valve completely closed and one cap off.

My UDS wants to run an ideal low & slow 225-250ish grate temp somewhere between the single open ball valve and/or a single open capped intake. Therefore I'm always playing with the intakes and can't let it go either way for more than an hour.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #15
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HAZARD- View Post
With any ball type valve, you have to remember they are quite restrictive over open holes. And that little bit can be a pain in the Butt sometimes.

On my UDS with three (3) 3/4" capped intakes and one (1) upright 24" tube ball valve, I definitely miss a temperature range between the fully open ball valve with no caps off...and the ball valve completely closed and one cap off.

My UDS wants to run an ideal low & slow 225-250ish grate temp somewhere between the single open ball valve and/or a single open capped intake. Therefore I'm always playing with the intakes and can't let it go either way for more than an hour.
Suggest you put another valve on another one of your inputs? Sounds like two capped one cracked a little and the 3rd open would do ya.

BTW I'm guessing you put in 1/2" pipe air intakes. I just punch 1" holes in 3 places. Two of them I cover with credit-card-sized flexible magnets (I got a huge pile of them free once) and the 3rd has a 3/4" ball valve. On my drum, I have no trouble exceeding 225F with just the 3/4" ball valve, but if I did, I'd just slide one of my magnets a little to crack open a side vent.

metalmagpie
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote