MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:29 AM   #1
SmokeWatcher
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Storing Vinegar-based Sauces

When I make my Carolina Sauce, I make a gallon at a time and store it in the fridge. Does it NEED to be stored in the fridge? I'm thinkin' maybe the vinegar will stop anything from growing in it if it's left out...kind of like pickling.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Do you know what the Ph level?

If it's 4.6 or lower you should be able to safely water bath can the sauce so it doesn't have to be refrigerator (until opened). However, if you're just making a gallon that may not be practical. So keeping it in the refrigerator is the best option (only option).

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
HHpepper
Full Fledged Farker

^^^ is correct, the ph level will determine whether it is shelf storage safe or needs to be refridgerated. Quality is usually better if cooled.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
SmokeWatcher
is one Smokin' Farker

I got conflicting info from another site. Guess I'll keep doing what I've been doing which is storing it in the fridge...covers my arse!

Old 04-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeWatcher View Post
I got conflicting info from another site. Guess I'll keep doing what I've been doing which is storing it in the fridge...covers my arse!
Google "ph levels" and "canning"

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

You may notice the stringy stuff ("mother") that forms in the vinegar. I seem to get less of it if I refrigerate, but it isn't a sign of contamination.