The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
Pickin' Porkers
Full Fledged Farker

Default KCBS comps without CBJ's

Out of curiosity...I wonder how a KCBS BBQ competition would turn out WITHOUT CBJ's. I understand this was common back in the "old days"....but how different would the results be today???
Pickin' Porkers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2018, 07:00 AM   #2
jermoQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy
Default IMnotalwaysHO

The same as if you had regular people who aren't around livestock judging fairs. "Oh that chicken is ugly", "that is such a cute cow", "i dont like pigs, I was attacked by one as a kid so unless it looks like Wilber, it is a loser in my book".

Maybe that is a bad example? I think it would change the way Q is cooked; might allow any semi experienced person to win comps even though they haven't done the time or made the sacrifices to get there. I think there would be more people wanting ribs and chicken to fall off the bone, and brisket that is cooked crumbley tender. I think the scores would be more spread out do to no training in criteria to look for.
If you guide them well in the same general direction, you will get more of them to the same point. I have not judged a lot of comps, but I have heard bad comments at the judges table like: "I don't like cumin", " I never give brisket high scores", and listened to two judges at the table agree that "if they serve pulled chicken, that means they messed it up". When I was at judge class, they said looks good, tastes good and, is tender but not over tender, judging everything on its own merit no matter, not comparing boxes. They also said, two people may not agree on the same box and that is part of the sport. So it isn't perfect but I think it's better than the alternative.
I have fun when I judge though. And get to eat good Q!
No name stick burning cabinet
UDS
jermoQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2018, 07:29 AM   #3
ModelMaker
is Blowin Smoke!

It would be just like having family and friends over for a practice cook, "oh this is the best I've ever had!!"
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-12-2018, 07:56 AM   #4
jermoQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

This for sure!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No name stick burning cabinet
UDS
jermoQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #5
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickin' Porkers View Post
Out of curiosity...I wonder how a KCBS BBQ competition would turn out WITHOUT CBJ's. I understand this was common back in the "old days"....but how different would the results be today???
About the same. IBCA doesn't use certified judges, and the cream still manages to consistently rise to the top.

If KCBS took judges off the street, sat them all down to listen to the CD, etc. I'd expect a similar result.

Pineland Liberator

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 05:08 AM   #6
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
About the same. IBCA doesn't use certified judges, and the cream still manages to consistently rise to the top.

If KCBS took judges off the street, sat them all down to listen to the CD, etc. I'd expect a similar result.
I think I’d like that and it would be a way to get the public involved to help Organizers. But we all know KCBS would never go for it. Heck, it couldn’t be anymore screwed up than the current system.

Last edited by Pappy Q; 02-13-2018 at 05:13 AM..
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 07:03 AM   #7
ModelMaker
is Blowin Smoke!

If KCBS is so screwed up, how is it the top dogs keep on being top dogs and the less then top dogs keep on complaining how crappy it is?
Ed
KCBS certified judge

Old 02-13-2018, 07:48 AM   #8
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
If KCBS is so screwed up, how is it the top dogs keep on being top dogs and the less then top dogs keep on complaining how crappy it is?
Ed
Because the top dogs are better than me and the other less dogs. They cook 40 contest per year while the large majority cook a handful. The top dogs will also tell you how screwed up the system is. I happen to believe KCBS is screwed up and as a member I have a right to that opinion just as you have a right to an opposite opinion as a member. I don't fault you for having that opposite opinion.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #9
djqualls
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
Ed
Because the top dogs would tell you that you wouldn't have to cook 40 contests to create an average that 30 would if it weren't for a failed judging system that has been known to exist for at least 4 years now yet KCBS continues to promote it. Just wonder why the corporate interest no longer exists in KCBS BBQ.

And to add, I'd take a street judge over the judge that says "I'm a BBQ cook and that stuff is no where near what I turn out. Because I know what judges want, I'm a MCBJ as Well"
djqualls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #10
Derussi
Got Wood.

Ask a team that cooked in Humble, Tx this year when 25 judges didn't show and they were pulling people in. Last year Humble had a 70% CBJ count and I wonder if this year will be the same or worse.
Derussi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #11
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djqualls View Post
Because the top dogs would tell you that you wouldn't have to cook 40 contests to create an average that 30 would if it weren't for a failed judging system that has been known to exist for at least 4 years now yet KCBS continues to promote it. Just wonder why the corporate interest no longer exists in KCBS BBQ.

And to add, I'd take a street judge over the judge that says "I'm a BBQ cook and that stuff is no where near what I turn out. Because I know what judges want, I'm a MCBJ as Well"
Crap, I thought my voice was quiet enough ....

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #12
GrillBillie_D
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by djqualls View Post
I'd take a street judge over the judge that says "I'm a BBQ cook and that stuff is no where near what I turn out. Because I know what judges want, I'm a MCBJ as Well"
This! I've met a few judges exactly like this.
GrillBillie_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 07:53 AM   #13
ModelMaker
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillBillie_D View Post
This! I've met a few judges exactly like this.
Just a few??
Sounds like we're all that way.
Ed
KCBS certified judge