Real Carnitas.....pics

Pugi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We are having a family get together this weekend and will be making authentic carnitas. This is the style they make around Morelia, Michoacan Mexico. I will try and document as much as posible with pictures. The pig is about 275 lbs and will give his last breath Saturday morning. If anyone has questions or would like for me to get a pic of something specific, ask away.

Well, pics of the entire process, and mebbe a few recipes, would be nice. :becky:

Who's gonna sweet talk the pig before the shot?

Not to be gross but informative.....if we can, the preferred method is a knife through the heart. Bleeding them out makes for better meat.

In the Philippines, I've been told that a slit throat, slicing through an artery, helps for a quick kill and drains blood faster as the heart is still pumping blood out. I've never witnessed a slaughter in person but have been told this method has been used for centuries.

Can't wait to see this. Will you be making fresh tortillas and salsas to serve with the carnitas?

All I know is the method my nephew in law does. He used to do this for events in Mexico. Sometimes 6 or 7 hogs for one party. His method is rendered lard and meat. No milk or oranges, that's from different parts of the country. He is know for the very best. I am know for the only caucasion in my area that knows how to make it, and when you learn from the best its bound to be good.

Can't wait to see this. Will you be making fresh tortillas and salsas to serve with the carnitas?

I'll have to check with the ladies to see about the tortillas. That's their department. Salsa, probably not. Fresh made carnitas is typically eaten with pickled jalepenoes.

How much of that 275 lbs will be the cook weight?

Everything including the squeal will be used. Stomach, heart, kidneys, you name it gets used. Intestines may be cooked in a dish called sodequaw. Fried intestine cooked in blood. Caveman cooked pigs hoof the kids usually get. I will try and get pics of it all.

Plenty of pic's :becky:

We have always penned them right near where we will hang and butcher them, waited for them to settle down enough to be interested in food (as a sign that they are relaxed), then shot them through the brain with a high powered deer rifle. Then we immediately hang and slit to drain the blood. There is very little blood left in the carcass this way and the idea is that the animal's muscles (meat) is very relaxed as it dies. It is very humane but didn't bode well for presentation on a whole hog cook, only for butchering. Then we get some meat in the caso for carnitas while we finish butchering.

In the Philippines, I've been told that a slit throat, slicing through an artery, helps for a quick kill and drains blood faster as the heart is still pumping blood out. I've never witnessed a slaughter in person but have been told this method has been used for centuries.
Back in my younger days when we slaughtered a hog we would shoot them usually just above the eyes in the top of the head and instantly slit the throat to bleed them which is pretty much as you described. As soon as all of the blood was drained (as much as possible) the pig would then be placed in a very large cast iron pot with a fairly large fire built under and around the pot to boil water which helps to remove the hair. After that the hanging and skinning begins. Not for someone with a weak stomach but it was definitely very quick and humane. Prayers and blessings were offered before the kill for the pigs life and also for the food it provided our families. Nothing went to waste. :thumb:

Back in my younger days when we slaughtered a hog we would shoot them usually just above the eyes in the top of the head and instantly slit the throat to bleed them which is pretty much as you described. As soon as all of the blood was drained (as much as possible) the pig would then be placed in a very large cast iron pot with a fairly large fire built under and around the pot to boil water which helps to remove the hair. After that the hanging and skinning begins. Not for someone with a weak stomach but it was definitely very quick and humane. Prayers and blessings were offered before the kill for the pigs life and also for the food it provided our families. Nothing went to waste. :thumb:
How my gpop describes it from his younger days when the family had the farm...

Looking forwards to any pics of your feast!

Never heard of the knife in the heart, all I have ever heard of is neck cut. But, who am I to question, I just eat it.

Back