MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #4291
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Ok...Figured out my tapered nipple valve problem.....

I used these washers...they didn't have them in stainless steel....but they are NOT galvanized either...you guys think they will be ok????
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]
biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #4292
Typically
On the road to being a farker

oooo shiny :D

Old 10-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #4293
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Yep. When I ran into that nipple problem, washers were my first thought too. Instead I just muscled them into compliance with wrenches.

"Resistance is Futile."
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #4294
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm burning out the drum now and I'm getting a funky smell.... Could that be the paint from the outside of the drum? The inside had a smell....I think the guy said it had oil in it and he sells these drums for bbq's. Any input fellas??? Thanks
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]

Old 10-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #4295
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

If it's not galvanized i wouldn't use it...

They look like they will work great. Do they make a tight seal against the curved drum?
Tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #4296
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedle View Post
If it's not galvanized i wouldn't use it...

They look like they will work great. Do they make a tight seal against the curved drum?
They have a great seal so far. Almost done with the burnout.....gonna wash then season. Will post pics

Old 10-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #4297
MuddHonda
Got Wood.

MuddHonda
Found some matches.

Have read 75 pages and will read them all ,collecting parts & have a few qestions
1. Got a unlined barrel painted black on outside, is rusted a little on inside, Should I burn?
2.Went to Home Depot and Kent Building Supplies, no 22" grills asked the weekend wariors if I could order one said "no thats all we have". Can I use expanded metal?
3. No pipe but gal.No SS bolts longer than 1" threaded all the way. Got 2" carriage bolts.No 13/16" holes saws. Stepped drill $49.99 I'll wait and borrow.
4. Plan on useing 4 -4" x1/2" pipe 2" up. One with ball valve.
5. Basket will be 15" x 6" x 3/4" expanded metal.
6. Flat cover, it has a gasket on it, use or remove? How many holes and how big?
7. Grill supports will be at 26" from bottom.
8. Have a bottle opener.

So far Barrel $0
Opener $0
1/2" valve& bolts $16.17.
Will post pics when I get the parts to build.

Just finished reading entire thread, have changed nipples to 3@ 3/4" capped & 1 @ 3/4" valve all free, free Kingsford lid but will use flat lid with 8-1/2" holes for starters.Found a supply of free barrels am tradeing one to a fellow brethern for a 22" grill. Digial remote thermo @ Wal-Mart $10, 23" half grills $5 each. Thanks to all for the info. Now to start smoking at 48 years old!!
MuddHonda is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #4298
redbandit98

Hey guys,first post here. I joined this site becuase of this thread. I have been thinking about building a UDS for quite some time....Well, I built one and promise to get some pics up as soon as I get her going right. I have a problem that I "think" is my charcoal basket. I didnt make a basket out of expanded metal but instead used a big piece of stainless pipe I had at work. I blew a bunch of holes in it with a plasma cutter and sat it on top of my charcoal grate. Everything is in spec as far the basics (charcoal basket 3" off bottom, lid is sealed TIGHT, I have two 1" air intakes with ball valves on both). My problem is the temperature is fluctuating badly. I believe that there is not enough circulation for the charcoal. I have problems with it going waay down in temp if I close the ball valve down anywhere past 3/4 open. The only other thing I can think of is the lid. Its a lid off a charbroil brand kettle I got at walmart. The standard style "slider" vent on the top has the equivalent to about 1.25" exhaust. It has the trianlge shaped die cut pieces that are 1/2" wide at the top and taper down. Im wonering if I should put a few more holes in the lid. It seems I have seen others with this lid though and no additional holes. I am going to try my charcoal box I made for my chargriller out when I get home and see if that fixes the problem. Its 12x12x6" . I will report back. sorry for the long first post.
matt
redbandit98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #4299
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbandit98 View Post
Hey guys,first post here. I joined this site becuase of this thread. I have been thinking about building a UDS for quite some time....Well, I built one and promise to get some pics up as soon as I get her going right. I have a problem that I "think" is my charcoal basket. I didnt make a basket out of expanded metal but instead used a big piece of stainless pipe I had at work. I blew a bunch of holes in it with a plasma cutter and sat it on top of my charcoal grate. Everything is in spec as far the basics (charcoal basket 3" off bottom, lid is sealed TIGHT, I have two 1" air intakes with ball valves on both). My problem is the temperature is fluctuating badly. I believe that there is not enough circulation for the charcoal. I have problems with it going waay down in temp if I close the ball valve down anywhere past 3/4 open. The only other thing I can think of is the lid. Its a lid off a charbroil brand kettle I got at walmart. The standard style "slider" vent on the top has the equivalent to about 1.25" exhaust. It has the trianlge shaped die cut pieces that are 1/2" wide at the top and taper down. Im wonering if I should put a few more holes in the lid. It seems I have seen others with this lid though and no additional holes. I am going to try my charcoal box I made for my chargriller out when I get home and see if that fixes the problem. Its 12x12x6" . I will report back. sorry for the long first post.
matt
Just started cooking with a uds myslef. Problem I had was I started out with toooo many lit coals on top of my basket. How many did you use?? Doesn't take many, in fact my second burn(with fatty) I only lit about 6 briqs. First time I lit about 10 or 12!!!! way too many in my case. Take a look at my setup:

Good luck,

Paul B
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #4300
Old Hippie
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs98 View Post
I'm burning out the drum now and I'm getting a funky smell.... Could that be the paint from the outside of the drum?
Depends. When was the last time you changed your shorts?
Drill ALL exhaust holes.
Burn it out using a couple old wood pallets.
Wash it out.
Dry it out.
Sand or wire brush it out.
Do NOT paint inside of drum!

Old 10-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #4301
redbandit98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Just started cooking with a uds myslef. Problem I had was I started out with toooo many lit coals on top of my basket. How many did you use?? Doesn't take many, in fact my second burn(with fatty) I only lit about 6 briqs. First time I lit about 10 or 12!!!! way too many in my case. Take a look at my setup:

Good luck,

Paul B

hahha yea the first time out I got went a little trigger happy and lit quite a few with my torch. Probably lit 15 or so. I let it die out and tried again. This time I only lit 6..yes I counted them.. I lit them in my chimney and put them in on top with the ball valve wide open. Keep in mind mine is a 1" valve compared to a 1/2" so it should have PLENTY of air going through it. The thing would not come up to temp at all. Thats why Im thinking it may be my basket. The only other thing could be the charcoal itself. I have it stored in my carport. Its out of the weather but I recall reading somewhere about it sucking up moisture. Its still in the bag but its been out there little over a month. Walmart stores theres outside in the lawn and garden area so I dont see where it would be any diff than my carport. Im gonna try 1) my spare charcoal basket 2) some new charcoal 3) combination of those two. Im sure its one of those. Its not like there is a lot of things to be problem with a barrel.

EDIT..ill check your pic out when I get home, my work computer is a pos and I can not see pics.
redbandit98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #4302
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Default She's all done!

Came in at about $90. Which includes the $40 I spent for the Brand new in Box Kingsford Kettle of Craigslist.

16 gauge open top unlined, cleaned and seasoned Veg. Oil and a fatty.
Zinc Bolts burned clean with Propane Torch ( I know, I know) At least I burned all the Zinc off.

Parts robbed from the Kingsford Kettle include: top (which includes HOOK!)
Cooking grate and coal grate. 12 inches of expanded metal wrapped around that and 2.5 inch feet welded onto the grate. No ash tray yet. Just using aluminum foil in the bottom.
Kettle top only fit on the bottom of the drum. The top was 1/2 inch wider than the bottom. Works out better being able to remove the bottom.

All other measurements were taken from Norco's redneck UDS Thread.Thx Norco!

3 each 3/4 inch nipples. 2 capped and 1 ball valve.
Feet are made from square tubing cut at a 45. 4 each, very stable

First Cook.
9 Pounds Of Coal
Started with a Propane Torch
All caps removed and Valve open
Reached 350 rather quickly
Capped 2 and valve full open
At 225 degrees within 30 minutes
Held 225 Apprx. from 2000-0730 11.5 hours

Only pulled fatty off and choked to go to work.
Burned apprx. 2/3rds of my coal. That equals to about 5-6 pounds to hold 225 for 11.5 hours.

Ops/Check good as we say in the the biz! Now for the Butt

I haven't got my side mount therm. yet , so I used the Meat remote therm dropped down the exhaust just below the grate.

Here is the Storm it weathered and kept on trucking

jetfxr27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #4303
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
How many did you use??

Good luck,
Paul B
I just dumped Approx., 9 pounds ( just guessed by pouring half the bag of a 18 pounder) Lit with the Propane torch in the drum. Let her get to temp then choked it down. I dont think coal lighting is that critical. I think air control would be you culprit. Which may include your basket.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #4304
Stef
Knows what a fatty is.

Can you get a shot of the hook in the lid? I picked up one of those lids and it didn't have a hook :/

Old 10-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #4305
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef View Post
Can you get a shot of the hook in the lid? I picked up one of those lids and it didn't have a hook :/
From MAsterbuilts website, I highlighted the hook. I didn't catch it at first , my Buddy who had more to drink than I figured it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (18.8 KB, 908 views)

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker