reheating butt

don24

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
have a cookout at a friends house and I want to make pulled pork and will not be able to do anywhere close to the event date. I plan on smoking as usual, pulling and then into a vac sealed bag or bags. my questions are should I sauce before vac and if so should I make it a little wetter to allow for absorption. how long before can I do this (the longer the better) . I thought to reheat I would put into simmering water and slowly reheat. insert your opinions here

have a cookout at a friends house and I want to make pulled pork and will not be able to do anywhere close to the event date. I plan on smoking as usual, pulling and then into a vac sealed bag or bags. my questions are should I sauce before vac and if so should I make it a little wetter to allow for absorption. how long before can I do this (the longer the better) . I thought to reheat I would put into simmering water and slowly reheat. insert your opinions here

I'd put a finishing sauce or some pan drippings in with the pulled butt. Reheat in the water and then add warmed sauce if you so choose.

I vac seal and re heat lots of pulled pork. I have thought about, but never added liquid. When running the vac it starts pulling all kinds of juice towards the sealer, I usually have to stop the vac early because the juice. I have thought about adding juice to the bags before sealing, but never have needed to. My fav juice is if im cooking multiple buttds, I put one in a foil pan and seal with foil, that yields plenty of juice. Stir that back in with the shreaded meat. You could always save that juice and use after you re heat if needed. I simmer my vac seal bags for 20-30 min to re heat before serving. I honestly think the pork tasted better re heated than it did fresh off the smoker. The bark suffers a bit, but the meat is better...good luck!

I mix half of my finishing sauce in with the pull and reserve half for sammies. When i vac seal leftovers i just use the "wet" function on my sealer even though it isn't that wet.

I chill the dripping and remove the fat, then put the juice and the pulled meat into a vac-seal bag and refrigerate for a few hours. The meat juices will be gelled and there is no problem sealing with the vac-sealer.

It will keep in the refrigerator for a couple days, but longer than that I would freeze it. Put the frozen meat in the refrigerator the day before to allow a slow gradual thaw.

Reheat in the bag in a pot of hot water, serve the sauce on the side for those who want it.

Back