MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:22 AM   #1
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Time vrs quality

Guys, this is to add to a previous post about the Pianni sandwiches. This one festival I have coming up, I do ruebens, which is smoked corn beef, swiss or provolone cheese, sour-craut and a sauce pressed in a rye bread. My wife suggested this year, to fore go the heated press (power and time issues) use warmed saurcraut, warmed cheese and serve. I really like the pressed sandwich, however doing this way is almost as good, however 3-1 serve ratio. I tried pre-making however thatwas a mess..We all need to keep the lines moving and make it the easiest to serve, Joe, Matt any ideas??? When the press is 4 sandwiches backed up thats the problem..If I used a 220 press they do it in 1 minute, 4 at a time. If I pick up a 220 , I would have to run a dedicated line, to another gen set, as I only have 5 kw on board, I would need 20 amp (about 2 kw) min just for the press..

Old 01-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

Sacrifice the time & keep the quality. I ran a 220 outlet in my trailer so I could use a regular kitchen stove. Because it pulls the watts, I have to know what I can and can't run when the stove is on.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

thats the problem, the smaller sandwich press will max out load and just backs the line up, the bigger press will keep up, however not without extra electrical power..no where to sacrifice except on board fridge and if the shut down it will hold temp but the hd will not like it.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

That is an interesting question, I happen to like non-pressed Reuben sandwiches, sort of how they were meant to be made. That being said, I understand the add of having it all toasty and melted. I am not sure if you don't press it, how many sales you will have.

How many sandwich events, such as this do you do a year, is the additional cost of a second generator, additional extension cord and a 220v sandwich press something you can offset with future vends? If not, then the answer is obvious, don't buy what you can't make money on. I would not assume that you can run with the fridge shut down, assuming everyone will play ball is an easy way to lose.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:29 AM   #5
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

good assesment landarc...I have the back up gen sets..back up cords , etc..the only thing would be to purchase the bigger sandwich grill..and yes just to do a couple events would not be worth it..The other thing is additonal set up, when the event does not have the power available, like the guy wanting to do the pianni sandwiches, he really needs the set up where as I can skip it, by going with warmed up kraut and warmed cheese...I personally like em both ways..however I need to look at keep the moving when slamed, cause if people dont know you they will go to the place where the line really moves, Jacked Up is the king for knowing how to move the line, but what I have to do is a speciallty sandwich that got me in the door, as we are not allowed to sell pulled pork or chicken. Only can sell a few items, but need to do them well and quick..If I turned off fridge , I would have enough power, but hd people do not have a sense of humor..
I was thinking of getting a propane double or 2 single propane chafers, this would free up about3,000 watts, as each elec chafe pull 1,500 to 1,800 watts
Old 01-26-2014, 02:35 AM   #6
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
good assesment landarc...I have the back up gen sets..back up cords , etc..the only thing would be to purchase the bigger sandwich grill..and yes just to do a couple events would not be worth it..The other thing is additonal set up, when the event does not have the power available, like the guy wanting to do the pianni sandwiches, he really needs the set up where as I can skip it, by going with warmed up kraut and warmed cheese...I personally like em both ways..however I need to look at keep the moving when slamed, cause if people dont know you they will go to the place where the line really moves, Jacked Up is the king for knowing how to move the line, but what I have to do is a speciallty sandwich that got me in the door, as we are not allowed to sell pulled pork or chicken. Only can sell a few items, but need to do them well and quick..If I turned off fridge , I would have enough power, but hd people do not have a sense of humor..
I was thinking of getting a propane double or 2 single propane chafers, this would free up about3,000 watts, as each elec chafe pull 1,500 to 1,800 watts
Does everything need to be contained inside the truck? Would it be possible to set up a station outside next to the truck. Use a camp chef stove with a griddle plate. If you could do that, maybe set up a ticket system where they pay, you give them a ticket, they hand the ticket to someone at the griddle station and they get a sandwich straight off the grill. Seeing them being made right up close may be a bonus as well. Don't know the feasibility but just a thought. I have a campchef 3 burner with a griddle plate that I use, and probably going to upgrade to the nice new somerset 4 burner they have now.

Another thought, do you have propane burners in the truck? Why not just get griddle plates for them?
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:22 AM   #7
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

our county requires Ansul system for open flame inside cabin of trailer, on my porch I use the pit and camp chef..The gridle is good idea, just not fast enough..I wonder if I just use the grill? Warm the kraut n cheese then lightly toasted!!..
Yes, your idea of open area where they can watch will sell, you always say its about showmanship..I might persue these two thoughts further..
Thanks for the loan of Pettine..Cleveland has him now!!
Old 01-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #8
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think your over thinking it. Pressed reubens? Who would be EXPECTING that?

What kind of fair are you doing that your serving reubens?

Its NOT worth the hassle and expense of a commercial grill.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:50 AM   #9
Fishhook
Full Fledged Farker

If you offered pressing as a no cost "option" it would lighten the load on the press...
Old 01-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #10
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
I think your over thinking it. Pressed reubens? Who would be EXPECTING that?

What kind of fair are you doing that your serving reubens?

Its NOT worth the hassle and expense of a commercial grill.
In the Irish district....and they have weapons...
Som,etimes to get into an event, they only allow so many vendors so you have to wow them to get in. The menu can not overlap with other vendors...Last year I had the talk of the event...not over thinking when the line is moving and the cash receipt tape needs to be replaced..
Old 01-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #11
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhook View Post
If you offered pressing as a no cost "option" it would lighten the load on the press...
So simple! I think we have found the answer...and the specialty sandwich will be made on the porch as per Joes idea and pressed if they want it!! I think this is it..