MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
mick
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Vacuum Sealers

I have a question about Vacuum Sealers. Last night I fried another FoodSaver. I go through one about every 2 years. The main reason is I do a lot of fish. This year has been an epic tuna season and we’re still catching Yellowfin, Bluefin, Albacore, Yellowtail and Dorado. Seriously, my house is a wreck, the screen door fell off 2 weeks ago, my lawn is badly overgrown, my dog barks at me when I come home (she’s forgotten who I am) but I’ve got a freezer full of tuna! So now it’s time to start smoking and processing all this fish. Before I go out and buy another FoodSaver, I want to consider some options.

Do any of you have any experience with the VacMaster chamber style vacuum sealer? I’ve been looking at the SVP-15 and the new VP-215. I know they cost more but the bags are like 4 cents apiece instead of the 30 cent cost of a FoodSaver bag. I’m thinking it will last me a lot longer. Any thoughts or even a recommendation on another manufacturer or model would be appreciated.

Thanks,

mick
mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
jpw23
Babbling Farker

Is there a reason that you keep roasting vacuume sealers? I've had mine for two years and no problems at all.....you may want to check voltage under load to make sure you don't have a voltage drop.....that will smoke an appliance pretty quick.

---------------------------------------------------
Chargriller Pro with mods
El Cheapo Brinkman
Some name I can't remember Gasser
Oil Less Turkey fryer
jpw23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw23 View Post
Is there a reason that you keep roasting vacuume sealers? I've had mine for two years and no problems at all.....you may want to check voltage under load to make sure you don't have a voltage drop.....that will smoke an appliance pretty quick.
I was thinking the same thing... What died? The vacume pump or the sealer?

My bigest problem was burning out the sealer strips... Then I started leaving the unit open between seals and never doing more than 2 seals a minute...

Sorry, no experiance with the VacMaster...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #4
mick
Knows what a fatty is.

It's the motor or pump. The problem with external vacuum sealers is they draw liquids toward the mouth of the bag. Once that liquid gets into the system it's toast. A chamber vac can handle the liquid with no problem.

mick

Old 09-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
Divemaster

Sounds interesting, what's the cost on the new unit? Do you have a site we can look at?

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
mick
Knows what a fatty is.

Here is a site with a video

http://www.kitchengadgetry.com/kitch...hannelid=FROOG

This site has the best price I've found

http://www.davisonsbutcher.com/cart....t_detail&p=478

thanks for you help

mick

Old 09-05-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
TysDad
Full Fledged Farker

Do you leave a lot of empty bag space between the fish and the sealing location to allow for the liquid? Do you put a single folded up paper towel all the way across the bag between the fish and the sealing location to catch the excess liquid as called for in the instructional CD?

[FONT=Times New Roman]Stainless Pool Filter Drum, BarBChef offset, charcoal GOSM, a gasser and a weed burner.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Henckels Twin Cuisine knives, CDN ProAccurate fast thermometer, Maverick Dual Probe Wireless thermometer, and lots more cooking tools.[/FONT]

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well, and live."
TysDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #8
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

For heavy duty ones this one comes to mind as well as the ones Cabela's sells.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...=vacuum+sealer
HB-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
This site has the best price I've found
http://www.davisonsbutcher.com/cart....t_detail&p=478
While I like the unit and the whole concept... There is no way I can pull off $1,175.00 for the unit... Way out of my price range....

Old 09-05-2008, 02:46 PM   #10
mick
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TysDad View Post
Do you leave a lot of empty bag space between the fish and the sealing location to allow for the liquid? Do you put a single folded up paper towel all the way across the bag between the fish and the sealing location to catch the excess liquid as called for in the instructional CD?

Great ideas. I leave plenty of room but it still will draw the liquid through the top. The paper towel trick does work but you need to fold it so it fits all the way across the top. That's fine for 1 or 2 fish but it's been limits for my buddy and I. That means hours of cleaning and packing. It just seems like I need something better suited to my needs and having to use a paper towel is a pain. That's why I'm considering a better unit.

mick

Old 09-05-2008, 02:46 PM   #11
embo500
On the road to being a farker

Even if you're going through them every 2 years, it would take 20 years of burning through FoodSavers to spend the equivalent to this new unit!

Just sayin'.
embo500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2008, 02:56 PM   #12
ComputerMike
Take a breath!

Embo500 has the right idea. Buy two this time and double up. You should easily get your moneys worth.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:56 PM   #13
mick
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by embo500 View Post
Even if you're going through them every 2 years, it would take 20 years of burning through FoodSavers to spend the equivalent to this new unit!

Just sayin'.
You need to consider the cost of the bags. 30 cents per bag vs. 4 cents per bag. BTW, the better grade of foodsaver is about $150, so that's 16 years to the break even point plus the savings on the bags.

mick

Last edited by mick; 09-05-2008 at 08:52 PM..

Old 09-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #14
keend
is one Smokin' Farker

Try partially freezing the fish then vac sealing. That will solve the liquid problem.

Misplaced in the Mid-West

NB Bandera
22.5" Weber Kettle
[COLOR=black]22.5" WSM[/COLOR]
keend is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #15
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keend View Post
Try partially freezing the fish then vac sealing. That will solve the liquid problem.
That method works great for a lot of food. I make up a bunch of hamburgers at a time and pre-freeze them so they wont crush when I vacu-suck them individually. Anytime we want a quick burger I just take out what we need and toss them on the grill frozen (less the bag of course) works great.
HB-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote