North Carolina Historic BBQ Tour

mrjoe

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking for the authentic old school North Carolina BBQ experience. Want the whole hog or shoulders cooked over the fire pit. Especially after reading Moss's history of BBQ; I got a hankering to taste the real thing for myself.

Only other NC experience I have was visiting the pit in Raleigh; was kind of meh, wanted to try Clyde cooper's but it was closed for vacation. (this was December 2015)

Leaving tomorrow, going to probably get a hotel in Greensboro and try to hit the surrounding areas, trying to eat two Q meals a day for 3 days. Right now doing my due diligence on google and using the link below as my reference point. Any and all feedback is appreciated. :clap2:

http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/bbqmap/trail_map.html

My recommendations (after eating at 390+ Q-joints in NC) would include:
Eastern style - "Skyline Inn BBQ" in Ayden and "Skipper's Forsyth's Bar-B-Q" in Henderson.
Lexington style - "Lexington #1" in Lexington (not my favorite, but MOST people's), and "Tipton's" in Wilkesboro or "Hill's Lexington BBQ" just north of Winston-Salem on US-52.
But the BEST barbecue in North Carolina in my humble opinion is "Redneck BBQ Lab" just off I-40 at exit 319 (slightly southeast of Raleigh). This is Jerry Stephenson's place, who took 4th place in Team of the Year in KCBS in 2016 as "Redneck Scientific" bbq team. Jerry's Q is NOT typical of historic bbq in NC; however, it is the best that I've ever eaten!!!

My recommendations (after eating at 390+ Q-joints in NC) would include:
Eastern style - "Skyline Inn BBQ" in Ayden and "Skipper's Forsyth's Bar-B-Q" in Henderson.
Lexington style - "Lexington #1" in Lexington (not my favorite, but MOST people's), and "Tipton's" in Wilkesboro or "Hill's Lexington BBQ" just north of Winston-Salem on US-52.
But the BEST barbecue in North Carolina in my humble opinion is "Redneck BBQ Lab" just off I-40 at exit 319 (slightly southeast of Raleigh). This is Jerry Stephenson's place, who took 4th place in Team of the Year in KCBS in 2016 as "Redneck Scientific" bbq team. Jerry's Q is NOT typical of historic bbq in NC; however, it is the best that I've ever eaten!!!

Tom thanks for all the detailed info; you certainly appear to have extensive expertise in this area. 391... That's a whole lot off BBQ'd meat.Skyline and Hill's came up a lot in searches. I would try Jerry's place if I can get to it, sometimes it's the rare places that have the hidden Q gems

For those tuning in, tonight I hit Stamey's on Church Street in Burlington. BBQ pork platter was insanely good. This was the first time I had whole hog cooked in an authentic NC pit. The vinegary sauce put it over the top, biggest BBQ epiphany since my first taste of Central Texas Brisket..Maybe since KC burnt ends..It was Damm good.. Tomorrow is another day..

P.S. I will have to upload pics when I get home..Mobile phone and this site don't get along pic wise..

Leaving tomorrow, going to probably get a hotel in Greensboro and try to hit the surrounding areas, trying to eat two Q meals a day for 3 days.

Sounds like a great vacation. Looking forward to your reviews.

Tom thanks for all the detailed info; you certainly appear to have extensive expertise in this area. 391... That's a whole lot off BBQ'd meat.Skyline and Hill's came up a lot in searches. I would try Jerry's place if I can get to it, sometimes it's the rare places that have the hidden Q gems

For those tuning in, tonight I hit Stamey's on Church Street in Burlington. BBQ pork platter was insanely good. This was the first time I had whole hog cooked in an authentic NC pit. The vinegary sauce put it over the top, biggest BBQ epiphany since my first taste of Central Texas Brisket..Maybe since KC burnt ends..It was Damm good.. Tomorrow is another day..

P.S. I will have to upload pics when I get home..Mobile phone and this site don't get along pic wise..

Hursey's BBQ** correction was my first stop on the trip not Stamey's

Hursey's BBQ** correction was my first stop on the trip not Stamey's

THANKS for the correction! I didn't think that Stamey's had opened on in Burlington, but then again, you never know. Stamey's is pretty decent, but I don't think that they use whole hogs, probably just shoulders or butts. Hursey's in Burlington is pretty good too, depending on which one you went too. There are about 5-6 locations and not all are of the same quality.
If you get a chance, drop down to "BBQ Joe's Country Cooking" in High Point. Some of the best chopped pork in that area (IMHO).

I'm partial to B's BBQ in Greenville. Skylight Inn is good as well in Ayden as well as Sam Jones BBQ in Greenville.

Thanks to all for your recommendations.:mrgreen:

Hursey’s BBQ Burlington (1834 S. Church Street)

Trip 1: Got the chopped pork plate, had a nice smokey charcoal flavor. Having never tasted hog in an authentic brick pit before it was a uniquely savory experience. Had a vinegary dip sauce, only required a little because it had a lot of flavor packed in. Came with coleslaw, French fries, hush puppies; which were all spot on. Throughout the trip all the restaurants were pretty similar in the sides. Made a new friends in the hush puppies, had some knockoffs in NY, but nothing like these.

Trip 2: I returned back (it was close to my hotel) and I wanted some to go food to take back to the hotel. This time I was not impressed. I ordered the pork spare ribs platter, they were way overcooked, basically steamed. Usually a pretty fair BBQ critic but these were poor. They were either somehow oven baked or spent some time steaming in foil because the flavor and texture were non-existent. It was just mush. I probably would have been better off taking some ribs out from the Chili’s nearby. Pork plate thumbs up, ribs thumb down.

Red Neck BBQ Lab (12101 NC-210 SUITE B, Benson, NC 27504)
Tried upon Tom’s recommendation. I got the burn ends, and the pork spare ribs with jalapeno mac and cheese. I found the burnt ends to be tasty, as well the pork ribs were solid. Everything had a nice sweet smoke flavor to it. I also liked the display of trophies and the funny tongue-in-cheek redneck sayings around the restaurant. I wish it were closer, so I could try more dishes. Found it to be very well above average, not in my personal top ten, but a damn fine place to eat. Do stop in if you are in the area.

Allen & Sons (Chapel Hill)
When I walked in, I was not only overtaken with the BBQ smell, but there was a strong smell of coffee and baked goods. I don’t claim to know the full story, but I’m pretty sure if I had to guess, all or most of the baked good are made on the premises (don’t quote me on that). Waiter, who I believed to be one of the co-owners was extremely pleasant. I did the ribs, which were sweet and smokey, very rich flavored. They came out in a sauce that was like vinegar sauce, but much thicker and sweeter. Was a little heavy handed in how much they put, but it really enhanced the flavor. Wolfed down the typical sides, then it was on to dessert. The key lime pound cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream was a decadent treat. I found the combination of pork and sweets made this my favorite stop on my Q-Cation.

Stephenson’s Bar-B-Q (11964 Nc 50 Hwy N; Willow Springs)
Once again got the pork plate, I probably should have tried something different. I read so much about Brunswick Stew, but sadly it kind of slipped my mind to try it. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Ha. Guess it will just have to be one of life’s unsolved mysteries. Chopped pork has a nice flavor, added some vinegar sauce and it was mighty fine. However, I think the depth of flavor in the meat was slightly better at Hursey’s and Allen’s. I don’t think you can go wrong with the pork plate here, or for any matter any of the restaurants on the NC BBQ trail map.

Texas Pit BBQ (546 West Church Street, Angier, NC)
Was feeling it was time a change of pace. This place had a real Texas Hill Country vibe going. I got the pork ribs, brisket, and turkey. The pork ribs had a were pleasantly smoked and peppery. They had some bite but were not overly tender. The turkey was pretty good as well, either on its own or dipped in some their sweet BBQ sauce. The brisket was sort of average, had a nice beef taste, but nothing mind blowing. I don’t know if I would go out of my way to eat here, but certainly was an average-is place to stave off your hunger for Texas Q.

Final Conclusion: I was overall pretty happy with my Carolina BBQ. It’s hard to beat some nice pork cooked over live coals. Not trolling, still more a fan of the Texas style, prefer the S&P simplicity, and watching them cut the meat cafeteria style. Also, a side note, was real beautiful country down there, weather was great, people were friendly, women were beautiful, and people drive like civilized human beings. You guys who were born or live down there got a good thing going.

Pictures Attached

Some Collages in no particular order.

Attachments

• Carolina BBQ Collage Pic1.jpg
    Carolina BBQ Collage Pic1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Carolina BBQ Collage Pic2.jpg
    Carolina BBQ Collage Pic2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Carolina BBQ Collage Pic3.jpg
    Carolina BBQ Collage Pic3.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 59