MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
jimbonelson
Knows what a fatty is.

Default bge question

still learning how to use the bge, today I did 3 pork shoulders at 260. Until about the 5th hour I was able to keep 260 steady then after the 5 hour mark I constantly had to adjust the daisy wheel to keep temp, is this normal for the bge
jimbonelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Fatmike
On the road to being a farker

Some people say they can settle it in and it stays there. I never had such luck with mine and had to check on it every couple hours with little sleep until I bought a BBQ Guru DigiQ and now I set it and forget it no worries and great Q.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
Wicked Smoke BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I noticed with my Kamado Joe that after about 6 hours or so you have to start watching it even with the DigiQ. If the grates clog up the temps start to drop and there isn't really a good way to clean the grate without removing everything.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbonelson View Post
still learning how to use the bge, today I did 3 pork shoulders at 260. Until about the 5th hour I was able to keep 260 steady then after the 5 hour mark I constantly had to adjust the daisy wheel to keep temp, is this normal for the bge

Did you have to keep opening the daisy wheel more...Or were the temps going up and down?...I can usually get mine locked in a range with out adjusting too much...but it needs some adjusting as you go...Sounds normal and a successful cook if you had it locked in for 5 hours...nice job...
MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
jimbonelson
Knows what a fatty is.

temps were going up and down after the 5 hour mark and very satisfied with finished product, I just have heard that often times once you hit temp with the bge you can let things be, I have no problem checking and adjusting
jimbonelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
loco_engr
is one Smokin' Farker

My guess is that the bottom grate might be getting the holes
clogged and reducing the air flow. Get a piece of wire and bend it
into an L and push the small end up through the holes in the bottom grate
and wiggle it around. Should create more air flow.

HTH

Old 11-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Temps rising and falling at that point is not normal...You should be able to get it to stall at a certain temp and hold it...Since its heat soaked at the 5 hour point...I close top and bottom vents to nearly a 1/8 inch and just let it sip air...It will hold the temp as long as I keep it closed and not run out of fuel...
MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

How did you build your fire I pot large pieces oif lump in the bottom to promote air flow and medium chunks to cover the air holes in the fire ring and then fill it
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

Agree w/ airflow (L-shaped wire to fix) and chunk selection. When I used the cheap stuff with mine and got a lot of little pieces, I had that same problem.

My ex took the egg with her when she left. I sure do miss it.

Yoder YS640 / UDS / Mini WSM
---
Hackers -n- Hogs Competition BBQ Team
Harrisonville/Lee's Summit, Missouri
Grip it. Rip it. Let the big hog eat!
71-South is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
Trailer Trash
is one Smokin' Farker

Cleaning the holes in the grate is number one as said. I have always set the daisy wheel about 1/4 way open and leave it. I do my adjusting with the bottom vent. Once things get going I get good results with that vent about 1/8 inch open. Works for me however I live in warm climate and have little wind and cold to deal with.
Trailer Trash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Char.../dp/B004XU1FES

No more plugged holes. (But you will have to keep an eye on it at first because it will heat things up FAST.)

Wind direction will affect the BGE (and most other cookers), particularly if it is blowing toward the the lower vent.
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Charcoal can shift during the cook and you can end up restricting the airflow through the firebox grate. I have only had it happen to me once since I started cooking on ceramic kamados. I made this fix that also gives me some other benefits with airflow control:

This is two charcoal grates for the Weber 18" kettles held together with some stainless steel tie wraps. This is in my Kamado Joe Big Joe. You can use the charcoal grates from the Smokey Joe in the KJ Classic. That should also work in the Large Big Green Egg, but the LBGE base is slightly smaller than the KJ Classic base, but it will still work.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #13
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

+1 for the 2 grate mod above. About $20. Make sure you get the charcoal grates since they are thicker steel than the Weber cooking grates. Should be available at HD/Lowes. Making a wiggle rod is the cheapest fix, but with the 2 weber grates you won't haveto mess with anything once things are lit and going.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.