Pit Barrel Cooker

IMO, talking as Bob the Member, not Bob the Mod. I've built a few UDSsss', myself. If you didn't already have the tools etc to make one and couldn't get the drum parts, etc. for cheap, this would be the way to go. Even at regular price, looking at all the work that went into that cooker, it's worth it. As for the hooks, cool addition, but I'm not in the school of thinking that simply hanging the meat will make it juicier, more flavorful etc. I can already get that using a grate if I just cook it right from the get go. I'd think of the hooks as a second grate, so to speak. Even at that, I'd use the hooks for the hell of it, with the lower grate in place. If a Weber lid fit on it pretty snug with no mods, for some extra head room, even better. The good thing about mass producing something like this is that you eliminate a lot of the wrinkles and flaws you would encounter by making your own.
While I'd buy one, I like the challenge of making my own. For those of you in that camp, imitation is the highest form of flattery, but even with this "way of thinking" there can be issues. :biggrin1: I still think it's the COOK, not the COOKER! Just me, though!:mrgreen:

Opinions, positive or negative, are allowed. As long as it is all within the forum rules, it's fine. Just a reminder that Phil has already scrubbed posts and the thread itself. If it turns into vulgarities and BS again like Phil stated above, then it's a different story. You guys decide if you want to keep it civil and within the rules or push the envelope a little more. That's your choice. Just letting you know that Admin has already been in this thread in case any of you did not read the thread from its entirety. This is the 3rd time Admin/Mods have had to step in.

Thanks and I sent a PM to Phil about that last line so no one gets the wrong idea. I get emails ya know. Originally the last line read like it does now... BUT there was a lovely picture of Jessica Alba's back side, thereby it had me endorsing her ass. Now that that picture was removed, it may seem to some I am calling John an ass.... which is the opposite I of how I feel, which is, that he is one of those "do gooders." Which of course to some, is not an insult at all. :blabla::blabla::blabla::blabla::blabla:

grinds-my-gears11.jpg

Here is where you went wrong with Patio. I see this in here from time to time. Been accused of it myself.

Pitmaster T's EDICT on Endorsements

Patio Daddio is anything but dishonest. So I can say this. He has made it known he really does not like what I stand for and will say it. But he is a pretty honest guy. And he has done his share of cooking on the UDS so I would probably think his opinion about this PBS thing (which boggles my mind how someone would have the balls to actually try and patent a hook for smoking chicken in a barrel using rebar but hey, maybe I should patent using racks for cooking meat on). As usual, I digress. So take it from me, who really does not care for Patio so much because he is too nice, but also because he messed up my salad bar a few times. Patio is as honest as the wait on a frozen turkey to defrost.

patio+daddio.jpg

Patio's Contribution to the UDS Phenomina before Noah/B]

A moment of discussion about "preceived endorsement." This forum was built on people in the competition world endorseing processes, ingredients, glazes, additives, blowers, thermometers, foils, butcher papers (with or without wax coatings) rubs, dusts, charcoal (Patio did a wonderful experiement comparing charcoal a few years ago), mops, pits, drums, designs, graphics, banners, meat providers, air induction devices, remote thermometers, muffin tins, tv programs, social programs, moinks, frozen products, guns, targets, suggested human targets, brewing paraphanalia, welders.... get the point?

Patio has been a competitor for a long while. And he has advised people here a lot. Nearly all of it I begrudginly aggree with. I would imagine if I were going to buy a product I would loop in what a guy that has had extensive experience in cooking **** on a UDS AND whatever else he chooses. Here is why I hate competitors. Because they have the audacity to show up at a pagent, with an existing stable of expertise, then throw it out the window as Patio did and adopt something else. That takes balls. In addition he beat Trigg. Now I like Trigg and frankly have seen him ON PITMASTERS go to a pagent and get 46th or so. Several times. But Patio beat him using the PBS. So that essentially means it surely does not do any damage to the BBQ. But here is where you went off track... and I see that you aologized and thats cool. If you are looking for an honest review then just either tuck what Patio says in your head (or not) and go on to find other info to make your purchasing decision. But questioning Patio and suggesting he has vested interest in the company... well hold it a minute. So the fark what if he did. We all have a "vested" interest in what we do. But just about every one of us that is worth a **** gets tied to someone who also is worth a **** and meld our **** to theirs and there **** get's melded into ours. Its like the way George Clinton did things. He was a dawg, right? He pees on something, then some other dawg pees on it and then another pees on it again. Its what we all do to make thangs funky. Pee on ****.

page=5o5n2r80wf:type=thumbnail:version=2

Patio showing he has balls enough to buy **** and tell people about it - Obviously unaware you cannot load the drum this way as all hook openings should be pointed North.

Suggesting Patio is dishonest just because of his affliation with Noah and the PBS is BS.

This forum is all about our endorsements. None of us can keep our mouths shut. I like how Chris Matthews once put it about himself when someone questioned why his opinion mattered. He said "I am not sure you are aware of this Eric but I get paid because people tune in to see what I think." Well people like you are here in our forum to see what us BBQ freaks think. Even if they are white bread, "aww shucks," Pat Boone white shoe wearing, sqeaky clean, Dudley will Do no wrong tonight if Nell will just let him kick it, "he's a nice guy" freaks like Patio Daddio.

I have been an ass for more than 48 years.

ADMIN EDIT:

This post has been scrubbed of vulgarities and BS. This is Qtalk. Review and Abide by our rules. (followup posts regarding the BS has been removed as they no longer pertain).

True dat! The missing pic takes away some context from the last line. Fixed! :grin::wink:

I totally understand your point about the convenience. Heck I have all the tools I want, welder too, but I think in my case I would have rather bought the PDC instead of the UDS way. I mean just the stuff we do to get over the toxic stuff and exterior paint is a big hassle and thats before we build it.

One of the biggest mistakes I made was when I designed the Meat Mama 3000 I went to a shop and looked at a 500 gallon tank made of 12 gauge steel. It was 600. I decided that 320 to have Ulastic steel roll me a chamber and cut the sides was a good idea. I spent AGES welding the seam, and ends and it really would have been better and as it turned out cheaper to just buy the tank, then spend more money on a thicker steel firebox and spend my time welding those two together.

So, again, do you want to spend time cooking or designing and tweaking. And how much money is wasted testing it. Which yes, can be half the fun. But you should be testing your rubs and glazes not the equipment. The high heat powder coat and never used drum themselves are worth the money to aviod the hassle.

IMO, talking as Bob the Member, not Bob the Mod. I've built a few UDSsss', myself. If you didn't already have the tools etc to make one and couldn't get the drum parts, etc. for cheap, this would be the way to go. Even at regular price, looking at all the work that went into that cooker, it's worth it. As for the hooks, cool addition, but I'm not in the school of thinking that simply hanging the meat will make it juicier, more flavorful etc. I can already get that using a grate if I just cook it right from the get go. I'd think of the hooks as a second grate, so to speak. Even at that, I'd use the hooks for the hell of it, with the lower grate in place. If a Weber lid fit on it pretty snug with no mods, for some extra head room, even better. The good thing about mass producing something like this is that you eliminate a lot of the wrinkles and flaws you would encounter by making your own.
While I'd buy one, I like the challenge of making my own. For those of you in that camp, imitation is the highest form of flattery, but even with this "way of thinking" there can be issues. :biggrin1: I still think it's the COOK, not the COOKER! Just me, though!:mrgreen:

We're starting to get a bit off topic, imagine that, BUT....

One thing I love about this forum is that we have ALL walks of life here, and we all come together for one love: BBQ.

Now anything folks are passionate about by definition means there will be a lot of very strong opinions. There are also ALL kinds of personalities to share those opinions who communicate in very different ways.

Keep this in mind as you read through the forums and you will likely not run afoul in my (one of soooo many) humble opinion....

I totally understand your point about the convenience. Heck I have all the tools I want, welder too, but I think in my case I would have rather bought the PDC instead of the UDS way. I mean just the stuff we do to get over the toxic stuff and exterior paint is a big hassle and thats before we build it.

One of the biggest mistakes I made was when I designed the Meat Mama 3000 I went to a shop and looked at a 500 gallon tank made of 12 gauge steel. It was 600. I decided that 320 to have Ulastic steel roll me a chamber and cut the sides was a good idea. I spent AGES welding the seam, and ends and it really would have been better and as it turned out cheaper to just buy the tank, then spend more money on a thicker steel firebox and spend my time welding those two together.

So, again, do you want to spend time cooking or designing and tweaking. And how much money is wasted testing it. Which yes, can be half the fun. But you should be testing your rubs and glazes not the equipment. The high heat powder coat and never used drum themselves are worth the money to aviod the hassle.

That reason alone is more than enough to buy one that's ready made. I'd go this route VS having to remove a dreaded red liner!:biggrin1:

whats the real capacity on this? Same as a 18 inch WSM? (4 butts, or 2 briskets, and a little short to lay the ribs out?)

whats the real capacity on this? Same as a 18 inch WSM? (4 butts, or 2 briskets, and a little short to lay the ribs out?)

Have you watched the videos at pitbarrelcooker.com? There's no comparison to the 18.5 WSM. Because things are vertical the capacity is UNBELIEVABLE for this size cooker!! An EASY 8 slabs of ribs...an easy 4 butts...etc.

Hanging meat works for this guy...

I get it... I really do... I just don't think I'll ever get to the point where I feel that I need to have a UDS, PBC (say what you will but this is a UDS w/ meat hooks)....

Attachments

• baron_hang.gif
    baron_hang.gif
    55.3 KB · Views: 223

I get it... I really do... I just don't think I'll ever get to the point where I feel that I need to have a UDS, PBC (say what you will but this is a UDS w meat hooks)....[/QUOTE]

Well said! :-D I agree! Now, to the first comment. Not trying to hijack this too much, BUT if Kirk likes to hang his meat, could there be some substance to let's say hangin it, and letting gravity stretch out all the muscles, fibers etc which might make for a better product (I could maybe see this more with a girthy cut like brisket) in the end VS kinda bunching it all up horizontally on a grate?
Bob

I get it... I really do... I just don't think I'll ever get to the point where I feel that I need to have a UDS, PBC (say what you will but this is a UDS w/ meat hooks)....

I thought the exact same thing...until I tried it. I wrestled with the PBC purchase for awhile... UNTIL I started talking to people that had been around the block a few times (as in cooked on a good number of BBQ's), and had nothing but praise for this little barrel. In fact, it has most people stumped when they cook on it... How does it cook SO evenly? How does it NOT scorch ribs when they are 1-2 inches from touching the coals? How come the meat retains SO much moister? No foiling of ribs anymore, SERIOUSLY?? The food actually tastes BETTER without the use of wood chunks??

I guess you just have to try/experience it to believe it!!

Well, not really because its not ugly and its manufactured by someone. Whereas most of our UDS's are, well Ugly and built at home. But other than that, of course it is.

Looking forward to cooking next to one at the same temperature with the same meat, so someone can show me how the meat tastes different as has been reported.

For the record I have about $175.00 materials per drum for both of mine, however, if I was to charge my self for hours to build, it would be well over $225 so the product seems like a value. I hope he sells millions, makes a bunch of money and folks at home make awesome que with them.

But lets quit pretending its anything other than a drum with meat hooks.

And because Pitmaster T was talking about Butts in the vernacular and since we are talking about hanging meat...

A recent picture from an Austin Que joint and their process of cooking Butts..

hangingbutts_zps5e7670a4.jpg

OK, to be brutally honest this thread has taken on an almost annoying life of its own. I'd politely challenge one of our brethren nay sayers (not necessarily a bad thing) to simply buy a PBC, while the $104 discount still applies, and take it for a spin. Give it an honest shot and report back. If you hate it I'd almost bet that Noah will take it back.

John

OK, to be brutally honest this thread has taken on an almost annoying life of its own. I'd politely challenge one of our brethren nay sayers (not necessarily a bad thing) to simply buy a PBC, while the $104 discount still applies, and take it for a spin. Give it an honest shot and report back. If you hate it I'd almost bet that Noah will take it back.

John

Couldn't agree more John! We are going in circles over a crazy barrel... WOW!!! If you feel the need, just do what John suggests, and yes, I believe the PBC company will give you 30 days to take it for a test drive :)
*please check their website to verify this guarantee

Couldn't agree more John! We are going in circles over a crazy barrel... WOW!!! If you feel the need, just do what John suggests, and yes, I believe the PBC company will give you 30 days to take it for a test drive :)
*please check their website to verify this guarantee

Or, just call Noah (his cell number is on their site, and on every barrel) and tell him that you're a skeptic and ask him for a money-back guarantee. In other words, put the ball in his court.

John

Back