Competition Turn In Box Photos

B

Bigjim4x

I'm starting this thread in hopes that it will get added to the competition road map. Please add photo's of your turn in box's and state what sanctioning body you were competing in at the time. I'm hoping that this will be very useful to new teams just starting to do competitions.

Last edited:
I have pics on my website and my blog, as do a lot of others on their own sites, plus searching on here in the competition forum will yield a lot of results.

purpleturtlecatering.com

our website is out of date but has a lot of turn in box pix on it. You might as well copy them...all the other new teams have and beaten us
nancee

Bigjim4x said:
I'm starting this thread in hopes that it will get added to the competition road map. Please add photo's of your turn in box's and state what sanctioning body you were competing in at the time. I'm hoping that this will be very useful to new teams just starting to do competitions.

I have pics on my website and my blog, as do a lot of others on their own sites, plus searching on here in the competition forum will yield a lot of results

I was just trying to make it easier on everybody. Just look here instead of having to look at 20 or 30 thread's. If ya'll don't want this thread in the Competition Road Map one of the Mod's can go ahead and delete it.

I'll post some as soon as we do one worth a cr#p. :biggrin:

Actually, I liked our grilling turn-ins at Grill Kings, but it was open garnish and am not sure how they scored. I beleive we got rid of the random spots of sauce you see in the picture, but who knows for sure. It was our first turn-in at our first contest.

Last edited by a moderator:
SmokeInDaEye said:
I'll post some as soon as we do one worth a cr#p. :biggrin:

Actually, I liked our grilling turn-ins at Grill Kings, but it was open garnish and am not sure how they scored. I beleive we got rid of the random spots of sauce you see in the picture, but who knows for sure. It was our first turn-in at our first contest.

Can you place the additional items in the box like you did? I thought you could only use the approved lettuce/parslel and the meats.

tony, that was an open grilling event on the day before the KCBS sanctioned event. Garnish was free form for that.

The sanctioned event on the second day is KCBS rules regardig garnish.

We can add this to roadmap once it populates and gets some meat to it. (yeah pun intended.) :)

Here's our turn-ins from our first comp. We had no choice but to cook 1/2 chickens and there had to be 3 individual servings in the box. That's why the pork turn-in looks skimpy. Not sure why the ribs look so dry and dark, they weren't.

I was messing around with some ribs tonight, trying to better my turn-in boxes. I didn't have any real garnish so had to use bib lettuce. Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
SmokeInDaEye said:
I was messing around with some ribs tonight, trying to better my turn-in boxes. I didn't have any real garnish so had to use bib lettuce. Suggestions?

Suggestions from me would be to line them up more evenly instead of having a couple off at an angle, and, if you're going to show the side (and I know some judges do want to see that), make sure the sauce is off the cut part of the meat. Color looks a bit uneven, but it's just a photo.

Thanks, Curt. They got handled a lot trying different layouts. It was good just to play with the box a little, though.

I had two ribs below the ones showing to raise the back ones a bit but think I could loss those and just have them lined up side by side.

DSC00952.jpg

Here's one of our from the last comp we did in 2006.

Scott, how'd you do in appearance with that? My first reaction is that you're covering something up with parsley, so I wouldn't give it as high a score as I would without the parsley. To me, it's too much on top of the meat.

I checked out the rib pictures again this morning and the discoloration seems to be a couple thin spots of fat. I guess I need to trim them better.

I usually cook spares so it was an experience messing with BBs. Seemed like the bone was much more curved, making it harder to keep em standing upright once sliced. Of course I've only done one other rib turn-in box in my life and that sucked!:biggrin:

SmokeInDaEye said:
I checked out the rib pictures again this morning and the discoloration seems to be a couple thin spots of fat. I guess I need to trim them better.

I usually cook spares so it was an experience messing with BBs. Seemed like the bone was much more curved, making it harder to keep em standing upright once sliced. Of course I've only done one other rib turn-in box in my life and that sucked!:biggrin:

I know what you mean about the fat on the top side of the rib.. I usually just trim the spots with a lot of hard fat in big areas and not the small spots on the top side. Usually they would melt down a bit. But still, even where it was fairly thin, sometimes the white still appeared even after saucing... I've had to do some artistic painting on a few ribs this summer to hide them a bit...

How heavy do others trim these fat deposits ?

I might need to remember to ask the good Dr. at the cooking class in March for his opinion when we are working on rib prep too.

cmcadams said:
Scott, how'd you do in appearance with that? My first reaction is that you're covering something up with parsley, so I wouldn't give it as high a score as I would without the parsley. To me, it's too much on top of the meat.

We finished 11 out of 30. the funny thing is my cooking partner said the samething as you did but I did it anyway .Then after I looked at the picture I thought the samething as you guy's
There was nothing to hide just to much.

Back