MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #16
codger
Full Fledged Farker

Nope, I've never tried smoking my whiskey. On the other hand my whiskey has smoked me a time or few.
codger is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 05-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #17
jaymo
Full Fledged Farker

Maker's Mark is one of the few "decent" whiskeys I've had that I just cannot drink. It comes off harsh and just unappealing compared to most. I realize I'm probably in a very small minority on this one. Still, give my Irish whiskey or something like Knob Creek over MM any day!

I do like scotch and can see the appeal of adding more smoke flavor, but I guess my inclination would be to reach for a bottle of something smokier to begin with. Seems like they are really trying to capitalize on the novelty/gimmick here.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #18
Garth57
Full Fledged Farker

I've seen on YouTube, people using handheld cold smokers (can't remember the brand name) to infuse the smoke into a container of whiskey/bourbon for a few minutes. The devise is also used by cooks to smoke other foods very quickly.

CBBQA Member #1218
KCBS Cert. Judge #23431
s.U.D.S. (small 30 gal. UDS)
UDS
Brinkman vertical Smoke 'n Pit
Traeger BBQ100
NorcoRednecks-UDS 85 gal/remod
[I]TemequeBBQ[/I]-insulated vert smoker
Garth57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #19
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Go buy a bottle of Johnnie Walker Green Label. All sorts of smoke flavor, already added, and you don't run the risk of spillage or evaporation.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #20
justjack
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_matt View Post
Go buy a bottle of Johnnie Walker Green Label.
Matt
All good if you like to pay a hefty premium for a very average blend that tastes like Johnny Walker.

Just my 2 cents worth.
justjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #21
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Ok, what's a good smoked scotch? Not trying to sound nasty. If I can save a few bucks, I'm all about that!!

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #22
Soybomb
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_matt View Post
Ok, what's a good smoked scotch? Not trying to sound nasty. If I can save a few bucks, I'm all about that!!

Matt
If you want a smokey scotch you want an islay and in my opinion there are no bargains. Several are great (give me some caol ila, lagavulin, of laphroig anyday) but you're not finding any bargains.
Soybomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2011, 08:42 PM   #23
ZouBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Interesting idea in theory, but it seems a little silly to me. You could get the same effect by adding a few drops of liquid smoke to the bottle. All they do to produce it is pass smoke through water and filter out the ashes/tar (I'm pretty sure that's all they do, don't quote me though). Exposing perfectly good booze to dry, hot air will cause a lot of the stuff you want to evaporate.

Although this does give me ideas... smoked garnishes like cherries or olives might be interesting for a manhattan or whatever else you like.

If I were to ever try this, I think smoked vodka with some smoked peppers would make a mean bloody mary. I think I'm gonna do this the next time I bbq... smoked peppers for a bloody maria... makin me thirsty just thinking about it.
ZouBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #24
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great idea!

NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #25
mwmac
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybomb View Post
If you want a smokey scotch you want an islay and in my opinion there are no bargains. Several are great (give me some caol ila, lagavulin, of laphroig anyday) but you're not finding any bargains.
Three of my favorites Try Laphroig Quarter Cask for an even more prominent smoke experience. I'd rather share one bottle of fine whiskey than drink 4 bottles of bargain whiskey but that's like just my opinion...

Old 01-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #26
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I don't know how I came across this thread, but those of you that are into scotch whisky, have you seen the tasting group stuff?

For a cheap way to add some Islay peat flavor, try Black Bottle, a blend that contains lots of Islay malts, with a lower level of grain alcohol.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #27
forrest2906
On the road to being a farker

gimmick to sell more booze :)

most lures are designed for the fisherman to buy....
forrest2906 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #28
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

I'll give it a try.
Vision is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #29
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Actually, I use the Wasmund's instead of vodka... Adds some character.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #30
Zenchild
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Hello,

This is my first post, and I know I am late to the party. But it is a topic close to my heart.

First up, for the purposes of full disclosure I love heavily peated scotch; Octomore Comus is my absolute favourite. But I also love American whiskey, so why not add a bit of smoke.

Recently I have played with smoking a few Bourbons. My current favourite is mesquite and pecan smoke. Takes about a minute using a smoke gun and cream whipper, with no loss of spirit and adds massive of intense smoke flavour. The result is great in cocktails.

I don't use this method, but worth a watch: http://youtu.be/7wQ5JhbsF-g

I get that it is not for the purist, and I won't be smoking my van winkle 15 anytime soon, but fun to play with flavour.
Zenchild is offline   Reply With Quote