MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #16
spider22
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with that and if they never have had tri tip there would be plenty of WOW factor when they did

Old 02-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #17
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM600 View Post
What I'd do Mate is...

Find out what they like, don't like or any potential allergies.

Cook them something that is a local speciality, a way of cooking or a food that is mostly special to your location.

Find out how they like to eat, eg; Some prefer 'homestyle' informality, others like (and expect) a more formal setting, some are quite happy to get round early and help you prep and cook the food.

Hope that helps....and I guess, don't try and source some kangaroo or emu steaks for them!
I agree with everything you say except for the bolded statement. If I'm traveling to another country, I want to experience the culture of that country. If I'm invited to someone else's place, I expect to experience their normal situation. I don't want them try to replicate my normal situation. Just because my family is normally very relaxed doesn't mean I wouldn't I wouldn't enjoy going to someone else's place for a formal dinner. In fact, we are doing exactly that tomorrow night.
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
Time_1
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, im bad at the multi-quote thing so here is a reply to everyone LOL.

After thinking about it im gonna stick with my tri-tip idea. Im positive his family hasnt had one before and the last one I did on the UDS was AMAZING.

Carbon whats wrong with the choice of cooker? My plan is to do a reverse sear with it on my gasser. The plan is to smoke it on the UDS until the temp internal temp reaches 100-110 and then throw it on the hot gasser and sear it until 135 and pull it and let it rest for half hour or so in a foil tent.

Am I wrong in my cooking process? What cooker should I be using?
Time_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #19
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_1 View Post
Carbon whats wrong with the choice of cooker? My plan is to do a reverse sear with it on my gasser. The plan is to smoke it on the UDS until the temp internal temp reaches 100-110 and then throw it on the hot gasser and sear it until 135 and pull it and let it rest for half hour or so in a foil tent.

Am I wrong in my cooking process? What cooker should I be using?
Oh, absolutely nothing wrong with your method. Your dinner guests are in for a real treat! Since I have a kettle I always use that whenever I do tri-tips.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #20
Time_1
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Oh, absolutely nothing wrong with your method. Your dinner guests are in for a real treat! Since I have a kettle I always use that whenever I do tri-tips.
Well I do have a 22.5" kettle that I bought for parts on my UDS when I built it. I could always take the grill out of my UDS and put it back in my kettle and use it. Whats your cooking method on the kettle im curious?
Time_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #21
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I like doing tri-tips hot and fast, direct/indirect, on the kettle, and have burned red oak splits in the kettle as well. I've even used a rotisserie on it and it came out great. I've also done reverse sear on the kettle too. I've been happy with any one of those methods using the kettle.

Here's one on the rotis I did a few months back: