MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #16
gtsum
Babbling Farker

I use mine (along with a Cyberq) on my Primo oval xl..no issues with it going between the felt gasket (or nomex gasket)..I've had the same one for about 4 years now I think..still works fine...GBR!!!!!!!!
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #17
SacramentoHusker
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
I've never really found the need for a remote thermometer. I use a couple of these...

http://thebbqgrail.com/2008/10/11/pr...a-thermometer/

Using the WSM or UDS (and as I understand it, ceramics) once you set the temp it's stable for hours. I just pop out once in awhile and check the temp.

I gave up on remote ones because, for the most part, they don't work long enough to justify the cost.
Well, it's $40, so I'm not too worried about the cost. The thermometer to which you linked, though, won't work for my application. I need something that can give me grill temp, and I'm worried that something that's only rated to ~400F will die the first time I put it in the Kamado. I'm not worried about remotely monitoring the meat, really. I'm much more worried about the grill temperature.
SacramentoHusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #18
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacramentoHusker View Post
Well, it's $40, so I'm not too worried about the cost. The thermometer to which you linked, though, won't work for my application. I need something that can give me grill temp, and I'm worried that something that's only rated to ~400F will die the first time I put it in the Kamado. I'm not worried about remotely monitoring the meat, really. I'm much more worried about the grill temperature.
You smoking at over 400 degrees?

Just a recommendation from someone that's been using them for years...but then again I prefer to smoke my meat in the under 250 degree range.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #19
SacramentoHusker
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
You smoking at over 400 degrees?

Just a recommendation from someone that's been using them for years...but then again I prefer to smoke my meat in the under 250 degree range.
Not planned, but I'm especially concerned about flareups since the fire source is directly below the grill. The nice thing about the product I linked was its alarm system. Also, the IKEA one (of which I will be getting a few, just in case) only measures to 266F. If I want to do something at 300F (say, a turkey), it won't be able to handle it.

I do like the alternative you've presented, but I don't think it covers everything needed, that's all. I will be picking a few up, though.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #20
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacramentoHusker View Post
FYI - the Mavericks only read to ~400F. After that the display reads somehting like Hi or HHH. There is a little silicone-like gasket/seal between the probe and the metal mesh wire covering. I think that would melt at higher temps - one of mine has but has so far not affected the functioning of the thermo.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2010, 10:23 PM   #21
SacramentoHusker
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
FYI - the Mavericks only read to ~400F. After that the display reads somehting like Hi or HHH. There is a little silicone-like gasket/seal between the probe and the metal mesh wire covering. I think that would melt at higher temps - one of mine has but has so far not affected the functioning of the thermo.
Thanks for that info!

Tags
thermometer