MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Default The sad truth about honing steels!

I have been discussing honing steels with a mentor of mine, Dave Martell (www.japaneseknifesharpening.com). He's helping me understand how to create a proper edge for knives used for BBQ - and how to maintain those edges. He's really generous with his time and advice. In an email today he indicated that the typical steels that come with knife sets actually do damage to knives. He recommends using a ceramic "steel." He also suggests that we not use the "acrobatics" we often associate with chefs and their steels - but use a slower "slide" concentrating on the edge. I wrote up an article about this and you can find it here with some links if you are interested in more info:

http://slowfoodrebellion.blogspot.com

Do any of you use ceramic "steels"? Thoughts?

Thanks from: --->

Old 04-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

This could turn into one heck of a thread. Everyone has a different opinion on what to do. but I agree with your friend, what you see on TV is not the way to go.

Someone once told me to hold the steel verticel, resting on the counter, handel at the top for those of us that don't want cut our hand off. Then run the knife down on each side. This will help keep the proper angle.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
peppasawce
is one Smokin' Farker

Great read monty3777
peppasawce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree, CJ. I predict this post will have lots of information in it by the time it's said and done.

[Mod note: if you're a steel or ceramic hater, please don't let it show here!]

Monty, your blog post makes a lot of sense, but I'd be leery of using a ceramic hone every time I put a quick edge on a good blade. I know they remove some metal during use, and I'd like to think a steel does more realignment than removal, but maybe I'm kidding myself.

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

I like the diamond encrusted hone from chef's choice..works within a few strokes.
Facebook:[url]https://m.facebook.com/pages/Leftcoast-Q/125103440847709?id=125103440847709&_rdr[/url]
Our website:
[url]http://www.leftcoastq.com/Leftcoastq.com/Home.html[/url]
big matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae View Post

Monty, your blog post makes a lot of sense, but I'd be leery of using a ceramic hone every time I put a quick edge on a good blade. I know they remove some metal during use, and I'd like to think a steel does more realignment than removal, but maybe I'm kidding myself.
You are right there. I think the ceramic "steel" is = 1200 grit stone. I think I should have been more clear in the blog that the smooth butcher's steel with no grooves is also an excellent choice and gets the job done. So this shouldn't be a steel vs. ceramic argument - but rather a warning against using the wrong kind of steel. (I just edited the blog article to include the virtues of the butcher style steel hone)

Old 04-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Good thread. Roadmapped it.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

I have an EdgePro Apex and follow the advice given by Ben Dale in the instructional video. This is mainly for the Wusthof Classic chef's knife that I use every day:
  1. I use a smooth steel every day before use. (had to mail order it, couldn't find one at all at the kitchen supply stores). This will keep the edge happy for a while.
  2. If I feel I'm losing a bit of the edge, I'll run a few strokes on the ceramic that came with the EdgePro. Probably about every month or two.
  3. About once a year I'll touch up with the EdgePro.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Great post! I'll be checking this one a lot. I always struggle with my knives, so this'll be good to know.

Thanks.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for posting this. I've been preaching this for sometime and often get drowned out by some guy whos dad was a butcher for 100 years. Here's to sharp cutlery!!
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
Arlin_MacRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
I have an EdgePro Apex and follow the advice given by Ben Dale in the instructional video. This is mainly for the Wusthof Classic chef's knife that I use every day:
  1. I use a smooth steel every day before use. (had to mail order it, couldn't find one at all at the kitchen supply stores). This will keep the edge happy for a while.
  2. If I feel I'm losing a bit of the edge, I'll run a few strokes on the ceramic that came with the EdgePro. Probably about every month or two.
Here's the link to the EdgePro Apex system, for those who want to see what it's about (I did):
http://www.edgeproinc.com/Apex-Model...Pro-System-c3/

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #12
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
I use the EdgePro as well. A really great investment!

Old 04-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #13
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

My wife bought me the spyderco system and it works really well.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #14
leanza
Babbling Farker

Excellent thread. Intelligent blog. Thanks.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
thillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jim View Post
This could turn into one heck of a thread. Everyone has a different opinion on what to do. but I agree with your friend, what you see on TV is not the way to go.

Someone once told me to hold the steel verticel, resting on the counter, handel at the top for those of us that don't want cut our hand off. Then run the knife down on each side. This will help keep the proper angle.
That's the way I do it as well.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote