MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #106
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest220 View Post
IBCA subsequently ruled and publicly stated that the Albuquerque contest was not a qualifier and stated that SYD had been informed of the decision.

[/LIST]
I've been doing some research today to satisfy my own curiosity. Is the IBCA's public statement online somewhere? There is nothing that I could find on the IBCA's website stating the NM comp in question was no longer considered a qualifier.
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #54767
Weber Smokey Mountain 22 & Superior Smoker SS1

[B][COLOR="Red"]"To BBQ is human, for swine is divine!"[/COLOR][/B]

Old 09-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #107
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
The Jack is a great contest and a great privilege. That being said, as far as JD is concerned is the Jack more about the contest/teams or publicity for the company/product?
I think it sad that this incident has dampened the enthusiasm (for some) for this prestigious world class event. I for one (and the swamprb too...I'm sure) am/are thrilled to be going...it is and has been the ONE and ONLY goal for team Left Hand Smoke...

The Jack is and will be (to me) the ultimate BBQ Championship...some will take advantage in any and every way. Some will profit from it...some will savor it's memories and commeraderie...I fall in the latter. See you all...at The Jack...

JD

Old 09-06-2010, 10:20 PM   #108
matthew burt
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
I think it sad that this incident has dampened the enthusiasm (for some) for this prestigious world class event. I for one (and the swamprb too...I'm sure) am/are thrilled to be going...it is and has been the ONE and ONLY goal for team Left Hand Smoke...

The Jack is and will be (to me) the ultimate BBQ Championship...some will take advantage in any and every way. Some will profit from it...some will savor it's memories and commeraderie...I fall in the latter. See you all...at The Jack...

JD
Im with you!! Looking very forward to it!

2 Stumps Platinum 5 (husker red)
Backwoods Professionall
custom mobile pit
Traeger Jr, WSM
new custom built insulated firebox offset

Old 09-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #109
Bigmista

I've never been to the Jack. Never even seen the application but I have been informed that the application says to list your GC's. Not your qualifying GC's.

It is my understanding the Jack has a committee the vets all of the applications. I'd have to assume that if there was a problem, the committee would have contacted the IBCA for clarification.

So who are you to second guess the results that BOTH of the organizations have come up with? They've been doing this contest for years and you've been competing for 5 minutes. How full of yourself you must be to think that you know better than them. If you hold the contest in such high esteem and are concerned about their integrity, why would you assume that they are wrong? Were you sitting in with the vetting committee? Do you have first hand knowledge that the rest of us don't?

It seems to me that if Harry is on the list then they want him there. Don't you want to compete against the best? No team is losing their spot because of him. Do you fear him? Will the contest be worse in someway if he's there? If you win while he's there, will you give the trophy back because it's tainted?

You say it's nothing personal about Harry and yet people witnessed you arguing with him for an hour and a half at Mesquite when he tried to congratulate you on you walks. Why didn't you discuss this with him then instead of bringing it up in a public forum? Are you out to smear his name of that of the Jack Daniels for selecting him? Is it because you were angry that one of his students (from your home state who came to Cali to take his class) won the contest?

In light of this, I have to question your motives to try and get him removed.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program. Congrats to all who were selected.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-07-2010, 07:29 AM   #110
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

This is ruining the mood for me! I was so excited when we got the news. Are we the best team in Missouri? No, not even close but we got picked and we are excited. I bet there are teams from Mo. who are like why did they get this and not us, we are better than them. We don't see them on the forum saying this stuff. If the people from the jack want Harry there then I have no problem with it. Its there contest and they can do what they want. I understand that some people might not like how it worked out but it is what it is. I say we end all this and support everyone who got picked because for us it is probably a once in a lifetime deal. I truly will be pulling for all brethren that are going down there and hope they will do the same for us.
-[URL="http://www.moocowbbq.com"]www.moocowbbq.com[/URL]-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-[B][COLOR=Blue]BLUE [/COLOR][/B]Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -16' Stealth Competition trailer-

Old 09-07-2010, 08:57 AM   #111
Jorge

Mod Note:

On a couple of occasions the discussion re:Harry Soo has strayed towards dangerous territory regarding the rules of this forum. In some cases things are becoming personal. Please continue to keep it civil.

I understand the desire of friends to defend what they view as an attack directed towards a friend. I also understand the point of view that there are some issues that may need to be looked into. I've got no problem with either point of view. I also spent more of my Labor Day talking to folks that were at the NM contest, folks that have forgotten more about the Jack draw than I know, some other folks in a position to provide additional information. I did that so that I could better evaluate the discussion based on facts. That's not how I intended to spend my Labor Day, during a busy week, less than a week before my wife and I planned to sneak away to California to renew our wedding vows.

Therefore....no BS will be tolerated. If anyone wants to continue that discussion feel free. Make sure you have something of value to add, and make certain that it falls within the forum rules. If you are moderated for violating forum rules, feel free to shoot me a PM if you disagree because I'm likely to be the person moderating. Opinions are welcome, as is the right to disagree.

Play nice Boys and Girls!

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 09-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #112
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Harry Soo discusses his Jack Draw on his blog. http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/blog/?p=1152
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]

Old 09-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #113
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

A big congratulations to all who have been drawn! Savor every moment you're there and make some great memories. It's a trip you won't ever forget.
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-07-2010, 09:29 AM   #114
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post

So who are you to second guess the results that BOTH of the organizations have come up with? They've been doing this contest for years and you've been competing for 5 minutes. How full of yourself you must be to think that you know better than them.

It seems to me that if Harry is on the list then they want him there. Don't you want to compete against the best? No team is losing their spot because of him.
I've been doing the contest for 9 years and am pretty familiar with the qualifying rules. It is not a judgement call on the part of Jack Daniels contest organizers. Believe it or not there are qualifying rules that they follow. Now they do not always have the correct information and the wrong call does get made from time to time. My guess is they have that IBCA contest down as a qualifier and may not even have been aware of the controversy of this contest.

The rule is 7 qualifying GRANDS, if that did not happen the team should not get invited.

The only reason SYD should be invited, its because per the rules they qualified. NOT because someone at Jack 'want him there'.

I definitely want to compete against the best but only want teams that qualified on the "up and up".

I really dont know the details of that IBCA event, the main reason for my response is that while the qualifying rules are complicated - they are followed. I think its wrong to suggest that the Jack just chooses whoever they want.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #115
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

Im going to let the Jack pick the teams..Congrats to all selected.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:00 AM   #116
Prairie Smoke
On the road to being a farker

I'm a bit late joining the celebration here... I am honored to be joining, and humbled by the list of teams for the 2010 Jack! An enormous congratulations to everyone who got their bung pulled, and also to everyone who was in the running. I got to be a co-pilot in 2009 so I got a taste of the magic that happens in the holler... Can't wait to be back!
Memphis Pro, Yoder YS-640 comp cart
FEC-100, 120, 500
Southern Pride XLR-1400, SP-700 (2), SPK-500 (2)
Two 32' festival rigs
WSM x 4, UDS, Weber 22" OTG
[B][COLOR=#0000ff]You don't win friends with salad![/COLOR][/B]
[B]@prairie_smoke[/B]

Old 09-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #117
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

I would like to say Thank you to the two World Champions who concur that it is the integrity of the contest that is most important. As I have stated previously, this is not personal, and regardless of anyone else's attempts I will not allow it to become personal.

As Chris stated, it is the integrity of the process that matters. Any team that qualifies fairly deserves entry into the contest, but I have firsthand knowledge which I have openly shared that one contest used to gain entry did not meet qualifying standards per the sanctioning body. Competition barbecue is our sport, and we each have a shared responsibility uphold and preserve the integrity of all rules, whether we like them or not.

And still, the facts of that non-qualifying contest have not been addressed.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #118
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

http://www.flbbq.org/albany.htm

if a qualifier has to have 25 teams, how did the Ross Team get into the draw?

It seems like this years has had more issues with the draw than those in recent memory. Lots of "25" team contests, disputed grands, and strangeness around the draw...maybe if the rules didnt make the NCAA rulebook look like the mayberry phone book this wouldnt be an issue.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #119
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPhan View Post
http://www.flbbq.org/albany.htm

if a qualifier has to have 25 teams, how did the Ross Team get into the draw?

It seems like this years has had more issues with the draw than those in recent memory. Lots of "25" team contests, disputed grands, and strangeness around the draw...maybe if the rules didnt make the NCAA rulebook look like the mayberry phone book this wouldnt be an issue.
Is it their only GC, and if so was it a first year contest with a proclamation?

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 09-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #120
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Man, this is like discussing the BCS!!!
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]

Closed Thread