MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:05 PM   #1
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin
Default Percentage of Profits?

We have an opportunity to be a vendor at the local Gus Macker basketball tournament on Memorial Day weekend. It's a three day event and the profit potential is allegedly around 8k. My sticking point is that instead of paying up front for a spot, the organization wants 20% of the profits. I don't like the idea of handing over 20% of my hard-earned money, but since I don't have a ton of experience with this sort of thing I don't know if I'm being unreasonable.

Is this a common thing, and is 20% an unreasonable number?

Old 03-28-2018, 08:43 PM   #2
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic92 View Post
We have an opportunity to be a vendor at the local Gus Macker basketball tournament on Memorial Day weekend. It's a three day event and the profit potential is allegedly around 8k. My sticking point is that instead of paying up front for a spot, the organization wants 20% of the profits. I don't like the idea of handing over 20% of my hard-earned money, but since I don't have a ton of experience with this sort of thing I don't know if I'm being unreasonable.

Is this a common thing, and is 20% an unreasonable number?

To me it is.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:42 AM   #3
thunderalley3
Full Fledged Farker

Medic92, are you talking profit or sales? Big difference for sure.

I am guessing 20% of the gross sales as figuring profit and proving profit is quite a task and I can't see a group of people setting around after an event trying to agree on what the profit was for a food vendor.

If it is 20% of gross sales I think this is fairly standard. I see many BBQ contest venues that state that the vendors are an 80/20 split. One thing to consider is that if they are counting on you to make money for them to make money they will place you in a decent area, where if you are paying a flat fee they have no interest in how you do, they got their money and you are on your own.

Look at it this way, if you are looking at $8k in sales, you will be paying $1600 for your vending spot, if you do $4k in sales it will cost you $800. You are the one that has to decide if you are willing to pay that much "rent" to do that much business. I look at it as it is a better situation than paying $1600 up-front and then having a rainy weekend and only doing $4k in sales, then you have paid 40%.

Plus look into it but most of the time if you are running on the books and this is being handled by non profits they earmark your 20% as a donation and you can write that off on your taxes.
thunderalley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-29-2018, 06:54 AM   #4
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

Yeah, I'd just do the numbers to determine the potential. 20% needs a lot of brisket sandwiches sold to make it up.

First thing I'd need to be clear on is 20% off the top or from profit.
SDG 26' Concession rig, Weber 22.5" x 3, RecTeq1250, UDS with IQ 110, Shirley Fabrication Cabinet Model 24x60 trailer, LS Grillz Large IVS w/offroad package (on the way), Humphreys Q'bed Pint, Assassin 48
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:14 AM   #5
Bbq Bubba

20% of sales.
Raise your prices to cover the cost.
This is a very common practice.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-29-2018, 09:49 AM   #6
poorolddan
Full Fledged Farker

People don't expect to get cheap food at a fund raiser. Add at least 15% and up to 25% to you regular prices. 3 days is a lot of work in prep & clean up.
poorolddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:15 PM   #7
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

I think you're mixing up profits and revenue. They would not ask for a share of profits because that number is too easy to fiddle.

Regardless, I suggest you contact SCORE (https://quincytristate.score.org/) to get a handle on questions like this. You can get free business mentoring and they may offer classes that would be of value as well.
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:29 PM   #8
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale View Post
I think you're mixing up profits and revenue. They would not ask for a share of profits because that number is too easy to fiddle.

Regardless, I suggest you contact SCORE (https://quincytristate.score.org/) to get a handle on questions like this. You can get free business mentoring and they may offer classes that would be of value as well.
I used SCORE when I was getting the business started. Good bunch of people.

As far as whether it's gross or profit, I assume it's gross. The only information I got was a text from my Sysco rep and she said 20% of the profits so that's what I stated on here.

I'm thinking of doing it more for the exposure for our business. Quincy has a much higher population than my little town and people from all over would get a taste of our food.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #9
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic92 View Post
I used SCORE when I was getting the business started. Good bunch of people.

As far as whether it's gross or profit, I assume it's gross. The only information I got was a text from my Sysco rep and she said 20% of the profits so that's what I stated on here.

I'm thinking of doing it more for the exposure for our business. Quincy has a much higher population than my little town and people from all over would get a taste of our food.
I'd raise prices accordingly and do it.
SDG 26' Concession rig, Weber 22.5" x 3, RecTeq1250, UDS with IQ 110, Shirley Fabrication Cabinet Model 24x60 trailer, LS Grillz Large IVS w/offroad package (on the way), Humphreys Q'bed Pint, Assassin 48
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:41 AM   #10
Bulldog316
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

What these kind of events do is make people buy tickets and then people will pay for your food with the tickets so at the end you can't lie to them. They usually range from 10% to more often 20% around here. I don't do many of these but usually when I'm assured I'm the only food vendor we do pretty well.
Bulldog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:43 PM   #11
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Just my 2 cents worth but 8k profit for a 3-day basketball tournament seems stretched. I mean unless you are vending the final four or something. As far as the 20% I agree with others saying just raise the price. I took a trip up north to NY City in early March to the Barclays Center to see WBC heavyweight championship. In the Barclays a 16oz beer was $13.50, large tub of popcorn $15.50, sausage dog $9.50, soda $5. I had 4 beers and was bleeding from the bottom end if ya know what I mean
Old 04-02-2018, 08:56 AM   #12
thirdeye

Are they limiting the number of vendors? Two local events also do the 80/20 split, but the number of vendors is set based on expected crowd size. Both events also provides ample advertising for the vendors, as well as power and water.

Last year one vendor had a poster stating they were donating 25% of their sales, now they didn't mention the 20% agreed upon amount on the poster, so I'm guessing many people thought they were being very generous.... at any rate, their sales were brisk all day.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:43 PM   #13
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

If $3,000 of your 8K is spent on meat and supplies, your left with $5,000. IF you have to give them another $1,6000 for the sales YOU made, then you are down to $3,400. You will need to pay for 3 days of help. Another $500.00.

Instead of making the customary 50-66% profit, your profit is down to around 35-40%. I'd say a hard NO, and tell him you will do it for maybe 10%, and not for total sales...
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote