MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #16
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsterbake View Post
Usually helps when you have a point to a comment MS - if you have nothing constructive to add then it is a waste of space to comment. I am sure you have never seen a KK in person but still felt compelled to disagree with no basis or in other words
You are right this is Q-Talk and things need to remain on topic. It appears you did not understand what I was saying, so let me clarify.

I do not believe that this refractory material cooker will cook any better than the Big Green Egg. The higher cost is not going to be offset by the small amount of better heat retention, you are paying more because of the Art and Design, they look pretty.

If you cannot cook it will make no difference what cooker you buy or how much you paid for it.

Since you have been here for an entire 3 months, I can understand your basis for calling my comment something less than rubbish, I appreciate your thoughts and insult.

FWIW, talking about basis or lack thereof, where in your OP did you explain anything about the cooker that would justify the raving review? Or were you just plugging the KK?

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 03-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #17
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Evidently,beauty is in the eye of the beholder.I am sure they are great cookers.Good luck.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #18
Lobsterbake
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mark

Thanks Hoss. Big Green Egg owners tend to be overly sensitive and think the BGE is the end all be all. They are a great cooker but not for everyone and the Kamado Joe offers more for less in the ceramic cooker category. Komodo Kamado are refractory material cookers and in a different league.

I would say 235 degrees for 85 hours is pretty impressive and no I have no ties to KK company besides a raving fan.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productrevi...do2/kk2-01.htm
Lobsterbake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #19
ToastedMorsel
Found some matches.

A BGE weighs about 160 lbs and the KK has 82 lbs of 304 stainless..
No need to compare the two.

Much more expensive but you are not paying 50% to the store who sold it to you also.
I have no problem with price as long as it's a good value..
ToastedMorsel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #20
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

I'll stick with my Vision Kamado Pro series for now. $699.00 at costco. verses
23" OTB Gen 2.6 pricing
Standard Tiles $4,260
Pebble Tiles 4,420
Bronze Metallic 4,480
And now I've got money left for beer! And lots of meat to smoke!
Just Sayin....................

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #21
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke View Post
You are right this is Q-Talk and things need to remain on topic. It appears you did not understand what I was saying, so let me clarify.

I do not believe that this refractory material cooker will cook any better than the Big Green Egg. The higher cost is not going to be offset by the small amount of better heat retention, you are paying more because of the Art and Design, they look pretty.

If you cannot cook it will make no difference what cooker you buy or how much you paid for it.

Since you have been here for an entire 3 months, I can understand your basis for calling my comment something less than rubbish, I appreciate your thoughts and insult.

FWIW, talking about basis or lack thereof, where in your OP did you explain anything about the cooker that would justify the raving review? Or were you just plugging the KK?

Ms, I'm actually in the market for a kamado and narrow it down between a BGE, kamado joe and primo. Can you link me to threads about your experiences using your big green egg? I'd appreciate any experienced advice on it to help my decision. Thank you.
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #22
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hometruckin View Post
I'll stick with my Vision Kamado Pro series for now. $699.00 at costco. verses
23" OTB Gen 2.6 pricing
Standard Tiles $4,260
Pebble Tiles 4,420
Bronze Metallic 4,480
And now I've got money left for beer! And lots of meat to smoke!
Just Sayin....................
Refractory body does that mean Refractory Cement? Hell ya you've got money leftover to get a lot of meat you could buy a deep freezer and BBq nicely for a season if not 2. I always wanted to make one of these VVV but I got a Akorn.

Rutland Refractory Cement + Miracle Gro Perlite To make this out of castings, the perlite makes it lite weight like styrofoam they say

Old 03-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #23
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

in China refractory material has not much price difference than ceramic
If you deco your weber kettle by diamond, it can be $5000 too
woodpelletsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #24
The Pup
Knows what a fatty is.

There is no economically rational reason to purchase a KK. It performs well, but it also has limitations (limited grill space, access, and "degree of indirect heat" in comparison to some of the insulated vault or offset cookers). The heat retention and fuel economy (read potential cook duration per load) are incredible.

What is remarkable about the KK (and perhaps other like ceramic ovens) is that you can smoke your Tri Tip at 235F, and in in a few moments, execute a reverse sear at 500F; then finish a pizza in 6 minutes at 900F. When you shut it down, it will hold temperature with very little loss for hours.

If I were in the market to make such an irrational purchase, I would get the 32"; otherwise you will have to do "rack workarounds" when doing big rib and simultaneous pot-of-beans cooks.

Enjoy!

BTW, the materials used on the KK are derived from the space shuttle program and related industries--and do not come cheap!
The Pup is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #25
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

If you have the money to spend and it makes you happy then do it.
I looked at the sight and it looks to me that it is the same guys.
It's is up you. Personally I'm glad I passed.
Oh if you are looking to toss money away I could seriously use some
Not being a Ass, You asked for thoughts

Old 03-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #26
Tony A
Full Fledged Farker

Congrats on the new grill I just got a primo which I know is not everyone's cup of tea either but I say hey to each their own cant wait to see some pics of it and some of your cooks

Good Grillin !!

Old 03-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #27
Cloudsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

I've only seen one in person, and it was not in very good shape. But OMG, the web link -- they look like jewelry.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:58 AM   #28
talisker63
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default I saw a Komodo Kamado in person today.

OK - I have a metalic bronze Komodo Kamado, it is awesome. I often smoke steak low, remove and open the vents wide, within a very short time it is like raging hot and then I reverse sear

yes its beautiful and very expensive. I plan on only one BBQ for the rest of my time...

Steak was great too!

open invite for anyone to come see!

I will also point out that Dennis Linkletter is a great supplier who even called me to check delivery was fine and help with the first cook! The Kamodo company who also had a VERY much inferior product is not associated with Komodo Kamado or Dennis.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #29
deepsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pup View Post

BTW, the materials used on the KK are derived from the space shuttle program and related industries--and do not come cheap!

same with the bge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Green_Egg

Technology

The shape of the Egg reflects ancient technology in that it is designed to contain the heat with only a small http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flue at the top to create a draft to keep the fire going. Today’s Egg is manufactured from high fiber http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceramic developed for the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_shuttle_program specifically designed to reflect heat and this allows temperatures of up to 650 degrees http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celsius (1200 Fahrenheit) to be reached. The external surface has a high gloss ceramic glaze applied to provide crack and weather resistance.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #30
deepsouth

gosh, wiki sure links horribly here.... sorry....