Question about smoke ?

Jethro608

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Can charcoal and lump go bad? What I did was save my 1/2 basket of fuel from last cook. (Uds) twice now.
Last time I shook off ash, mixed in new char,& lump. Worked fine first time. This time (maybe me) but it smells funny after firing up. Kinda like an old campfire. :puck
I plan to let it burn for hr or so. Do you think that it will go away? Or should I just snuff it & start over ?:banghead:

Sometimes charcoal will develop mold if left damp for too long. It wood probably be better to start over with new charcoal. (I hate that smell)

Didn't think of that . Was thinking maybe old drippings. It has been a wk. Since last cook

1 1/2 hrs in now the smell ain't there so I"ll put on fatties. I got 4. Let's see hoow that goes

I've had lump get kind of stale on me after reusing the leftover for a couple/few cooks. I was told that it could absorb moisture from the ambient air. I found it difficult to light without mixing in some fresh stuff with the old lump. Worked fine after that. :thumb:

Yeah prolly just a combination of old drippings and moisture, I add new stuff to the old stuff all the time and never have any probs...

It won't go bad but it will go soft and moist. Partially burning it like that turns it into more of a sponge than it was before. You don't ever wanna keep that stuff in a moist environment obviously, but once it's charred up the humidity from the air is like misting it with a hose when it's fresh.

So I guess, it can be bad, lmao yeah. But it hasn't soured or anything. Of course, if you're using Kingsford Blue and talking about this, you're gonna get a whoooole slew of people that tell you the ol' Boy Blue is the devil, fueling Hell with an ammonia smell and taste to the food.

Yea its kb & ro lump. It straightend up. Smelt fine I got food going. And left uds to do it work . I'm an hr drive from it now.

Fingers crossed.

I've opened up a bag of charcoal I hadn't seen since last year. It had gotten damp and had mold growing all over it. Smelled awful when I fired it up....

Hold on a second! You're cooking fattys on a UDS, they've already been on for about 2 hours, and you are currently an hour drive away from the UDS?

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

I fear they're toast. Unless you have someone watching and pulling them off.

No took fatties off. Put on 2 butts, had a roast to add when I got back.
Turned out ok. No pron tho.sorry
That thing burned all day & at 8 am the next morn . It was still at 150 wow I prob could of done anouther one

Back