• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pacific Smoke Signals - Brisket, Fatties, and Wings [all-day affair w/ Pr0N]

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Mornin', Pholks!

I'm working on a new recipe for a chili cook-off on this coming Friday. Need to kick my game into the next gear. Thinking about smoked brisket and perhaps a fatty (or two) as the meats in the pot. Would appreciate your thoughts on the subject, as I usually just use coarsely ground beef.

Waited in line as the Commissary opened for the day to be reminded that DeCA (Defense Commissary Agency) butchers have no clue what a whole brisket is. *sigh*

2016-04-24%2009.43.45_zpsfpehlrsn.jpg

Oh well. The flat will have to do. Hit it with Oakridge Black Ops (hadn't opened the sampler sized bag from Mike & Co, so I think this is my first attempt with it) and into the smoker over hickory she went.

2016-04-24%2009.59.44_zpsnbircozl.jpg

I have 3 JD Hot chubs defrosting as we speak. Trying to decide how to divvy up the rubs on 'em. I'm thinking John Henry's Apple Chipotle (East TX), Masters Hand Trio Pepper Rub (Fort Wayne, IN), and probably something homemade like our Wicken Yanks Savoury Rub on the 3rd. Who knows.

I also have a 1/2 gal of Altenmuenster in the fridge that's waiting for the sun to rise above the yardarm.
2016-04-24%2010.17.57_zpshm5odhqn.jpg

More to come. Thanks for stopping by.

Nice start Marc! Look forward to more pr0n :-D

Say how's that beautiful little girl doing in her new home anyways?

Cheers, Keith!

I think I hear her stirring as I type. She's sleeping through the night, and was a complete rockstar yesterday at her first wedding experience: one of our loadmasters married a local girl, and we had the full Okinawan experience. Luckily, she dozed in my arms through the ceremony and was bright and cheerful (then dozed off again) through the reception.

Cheers, Keith!

I think I hear her stirring as I type. She's sleeping through the night, and was a complete rockstar yesterday at her first wedding experience: one of our loadmasters married a local girl, and we had the full Okinawan experience. Luckily, she dozed in my arms through the ceremony and was bright and cheerful (then dozed off again) through the reception.

Ah that's awesome to hear! :clap: She sure is a lucky little girl. :grin:

That looks like a good start, and the flat will be perfect for chili. I like the idea of a fatty in there too

Sounds like a wonderful day.

Only comment I will make on the fatty's is to think how the rub will go with the chili seasonings. Not sure how Apple will go with it...

Only comment I will make on the fatty's is to think how the rub will go with the chili seasonings. Not sure how Apple will go with it...

Not sure which of the fatties I'm going to add to the chili just yet. I'm like cheez in the fact that I always fire up a nekkid fatty if I have the smoker going. The apple chipotle seems to be a breakfast favorite, so I think I'll save that one. Who knows, maybe I'll whip out some Santa Fe rub that I picked up in ABQ... seems to lend itself more towards the chili line of seasonings and spices.

Appreciate the thoughts. Keep 'em coming.

Terry got me thinking about what other rubs and seasonings I have hanging about the place. I went on a treasure hunt and came back with a couple from North of the Border that I think will really do the trick. Then, I wanted to try a rub I picked up at a farmer's market back in Fort Wayne this winter.

2016-04-24%2011.57.48_zpst8dec9rc.jpg

The dark Montezuma Chipotle Seasoning on the left and the Santa Fe Rub in the middle should be thoroughly interesting when smoked on some sausage. I'll bet the fat and smoke make them big time contenders for joining the pot of chili. The Trio Pepper Rub from Masters Hand is much more "herby" with a nice kick at the end. I'll bet that's tasty in the morning for breakfast.

The sun is starting to peek over the yardarm... but the storm clouds from Taiwan & mainland China are rolling in.

Pulled the fatties and placed them in a 150F oven to rest. The Chipotle and Santa Fe seemed to be rather dark... wondering if all that pork fat dripped down into the wood tray and put up some black smoke.

Brisket flat thin bits are nice and wobbly. Thicker bits still very "stiff" (for lack of better verbiage). Wrapped in butcher paper, as she was getting a bit dark, too. Will come back to probe a bit here and there in an hour.

2016-04-24%2014.08.39_zpsxnc0emzg.jpg

Had a nibble from some of the rub left on the grate... YUM. This is going to taste good. Now, to get the consistency right.

You are gonna kill this chili. Just wish we could taste it. You gonna use real (dried) chiles?

Looking good so far, can't wait to sesee how the flat turns out. The Commissary doesn't know the difference between the flat or whole brisket. I can still get full briskets though, which is weird in a way. I got one on now along with ribs on the rotisserie.
Good luck with your chili cook off.

You gonna use real (dried) chiles?

Ooooh. (Sadly,) I hadn't thought about that! Sounds like a good plan. I've never done that before, but I'm all ears and ready to learn. I'm not all that bright or experienced on the subject, but I'd probably shoot for some poblanos and anchos... but I'd love to read some other ideas/sanity checks on the subject.

Looking good so far, can't wait to sesee how the flat turns out.

Thanks, COS. It's been a while since I tried not to fark-up a brisket flat.

Momma and I had a taste of each of the fatties... as a... quality... control.... measure. Yeah.

Montezuma Chipotle Rub - Surprising sweet note, but rich and dark before the heat hits.
Masters Hand Trio Pepper Rub - Herbaceous, savoury, then a little heat. Lighter (vs. the dark notes in Montezuma) on the palate.
Santa Fe Rub - Somewhere in the middle. Not all that spicy but more robust and dark than the Masters Hand.

So far, I think it's going to be the chipotle in the chili with the brisket. If we need some additional pork love, the Santa Fe will join the gang.

First time in a while cooking a brisket. I've unwrapped and run a thick skewer through the flat a few places. Almost to the "hot knife through butter" stage in the middle. Maybe another 30 minutes. It ain't done 'til it's done. I've learned my lesson on pulling brisket early!

Wings are in progress.

2016-04-24%2017.18.58_zpsdgrunmkq.jpg

Bit of Wicken Yanks' Wings Over Wicken dry rub on the bird.
2016-04-24%2017.23.00_zpspl409zi2.jpg

Momma's about to whip up some of her Jamaican Jerk sauce for the wings... Usually we also make some smoked Buffalo, but it's been a while.

Brisket probed like butter in 9 out of 10 spots. As I'm not going to slice this baby all the way through for immediate service, she's in and resting (still wrapped in butcher's paper) in a warm oven.

Should I have given her another 30 minutes? Probably. Am I that worried about it? Nope. It'll be just fine.

Found Jalapeños at the Commissary (that rarely happens these days), so it's time for freshly made Jamaican Jerk sauce. I'll see if I can sneak into the kitchen while Mrs. Shadow is cooking for some photos.

Back