MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
NorthernMN
On the road to being a farker

Default What size of splits to use in an Offset

Just wondering how big of splits people use in their offset smoker? I will be cutting some wood this weekend and want to experiment with different sizes.
NorthernMN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

All depends on how big the pit is. A have a chargrill off set and it do sent take a lot of wood to keep it at 300. A hand full of chunks will hold for a half an hour. On my large pull behind it takes 2 to 3 18in to keep it at temp for about an hour.
mikeleonard81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

how big is your firebox? depends on that if your firebox is 20 inces deep your going to want to go with a 12-16 inch long split.. that is no bigger in diameter than about 4-6 inches..

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

my FB is abt 30"s deep so i burn 24-20 inch long splits..

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

We have a Lang 84, and have the best luck with a 14-16" split about 4" wide. It seems to work better with more, smaller splits then less, big ones.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have a 20x20 firebox. I go for around wrist to forearm size in diameter.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
NorthernMN

That's what I was wondering about with the diameter
NorthernMN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

^ these guys are all pretty smart and offering good advice. To me the key factors will be the size of your firebox and your wood, specifically how dry it is. My firebox is 24x24x22 and I use kiln dried hickory almost exclusively so once I get s good coal bed I can get away with a pretty good sized or what I call a full split. Think of an 18" long 6-8 inch diameter log, quartered - that's a full split. I preheat mine and add 1 or 2 every hour to hour-and-a-half depending on how hot I'm running my pit, how crowded it is, weather and a bunch of other factors. One hint I don't think I saw mentioned: you are trying to cook with thin blue (almost invisible) smoke but when you add wood to the fire you will probably get some white nasty stuff. As soon as the new wood ignites the TBS should return pretty quickly; if it takes more than 5 minutes give it some more air and try smaller splits. So instead of a 4 inch wedge, split it down into 2 or 3 smaller pieces. More surface area means they will ignite and get back to TBS quicker. Just my $0.02.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
davefan360
Take a breath!

On my 120gallon ref with a fire box of 22by22by24 I like to use 2 14in to 17in splits that are about 4 to 6 inches across. I found that bigger logs in mine don't burn that well.
But my buddy on his Lang 84 uses more firewood size logs that are larger.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Mine burns much cleaner with smaller diameter splits.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
^ these guys are all pretty smart and offering good advice. To me the key factors will be the size of your firebox and your wood, specifically how dry it is. My firebox is 24x24x22 and i use kiln dried hickory almost exclusively so once i get s good coal bed i can get away with a pretty good sized or what i call a full split. Think of an 18" long 6-8 inch diameter log, quartered - that's a full split. I preheat mine and add 1 or 2 every hour to hour-and-a-half depending on how hot i'm running my pit, how crowded it is, weather and a bunch of other factors. One hint i don't think i saw mentioned: You are trying to cook with thin blue (almost invisible) smoke but when you add wood to the fire you will probably get some white nasty stuff. As soon as the new wood ignites the tbs should return pretty quickly; if it takes more than 5 minutes give it some more air and try smaller splits. So instead of a 4 inch wedge, split it down into 2 or 3 smaller pieces. More surface area means they will ignite and get back to tbs quicker. Just my $0.02.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucornhusker View Post
mine burns much cleaner with smaller diameter splits.
^^^+1^^^

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #12
Armadillo

It's better to burn 3 or 4 smaller diameter than one large one I like mine about the 3.5" in diameter they burn cleaner and its easier to maintain temp with smaller fire

Old 07-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #13
Smokinwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHomeQue View Post
my FB is abt 30"s deep so i burn 24-20 inch long splits..
Same as mine.

Just make sure you leave enough room for air flow and that the splits are not touching "both" sides of the box. Measure your box and and cut your splits down a few inches from that.
Smokinwright is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
hawkeye29
Got Wood.

I also split mine small so I can fine tune the temp. If you put small pieces on and the temp goes up slow you can ad another instead of putting on 1 big piece. Seems like if I add a big piece i get to much white smoke and the temp will rise to fast which results in choaking the fire down and getting more white smoke. Im using a offset firebox stick burner built by brett trailers.
hawkeye29 is offline   Reply With Quote