Bird barrel

mattmountz94

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Seeing all these bird barrels , I had to start making one. Got the barrel free at work and everything else I had. Right now just burnin some wood thru it to clean it out good. Tomorrow hopefully throwing some bone in chicken breasts on it. Started with 5 splits but it wasn't very hot so I just added 3 more. Should be rocking.

Any tips let me know!

For me, I'd load that up with wood and get it really screamin' hot from top to bottom for 2 burns. I'm a bit nuts with making sure something like that is really burned out though :)

As the inventor and developer of said BB you need to modify a few things.

1) criss-cross pattern on the grate so you can develop a coal base. I just used a cheap cooking grate on top of the charcoal grate.

2) I'd do a basket (add side walls)

3) I went 5" off the bottom because you can go forever without emptying.

4) I went with four 3/4" intakes so it gets enough air to start and you can close them off as needed.

5) Definitely go skinnier splits and less wood.

6) Rotisserie I mounted 3" down with a slot and a hole where the motor mounts.

Try to straighten out the bent parts in the rim so you can close it off tight when you're done cooking.

When I'm done cooking it gets closed off tight because the partial burnt will start with just getting hit with a HF weed burner for 30 seconds...up and cooking in less than 5 minutes everytime. When flaming starts then I'll add a couple of skinny's on top. It just doesn't take much wood.

Using mine now for almost 2 years there's a learning curve and it takes a bit to really get the hang of it but you'll turn out some amazing food if you keep the fire in check.

As the inventor and developer of said BB you need to change a few things.

1) criss-cross pattern on the grate so you can develop a coal base. I just used a cheap cooking grate on top of the charcoal grate.

2) I'd do a basket (add side walls)

3) I went 5" off the bottom because you can go forever without emptying.

4) I went with four 3/4" intakes so it gets enough air to start and you can close them off as needed.

5) Definitely go skinnier splits and less wood.

When I'm done cooking it gets closed off tight because the partial burnt will start with just getting hit with a HF weed burner for 30 seconds...up and cooking in less than 5 minutes everytime. When flaming starts then I'll add a couple of skinny's on top. It just doesn't take much wood.

Using mine now for almost 2 years there's a learning curve and it takes a bit to really get the hang of it but you'll turn out some amazing food if you keep the fire in check.

Thanks! I have the 18" charcoal grate from my kettle down there I will put some expanded metal on it so the coals stay on there. It is actually 5" off the bottom I had a expanded metal ring at work made 5"x maybe 12" round. I plan on having a ring made to go around the charcoal grate to hold in the splits just didn't have time at work on Friday. Your killing me with smaller splits! I hate splitting wood but thanks for the help I will def make the improvements. I will start with small cooks to practice so I'm not burning through food testing it

If you can find a way to shut it down halfway air tight you'll be in business Matt. It's pretty nice to fire up the leftover wood in a few minutes vs trying to light fresh wood, plus you develop a coal base quicker.

Not sure if you have a therm yet but hopefully your average @ the middle of the drum will be around 400-450*

Post cook pics!

Where would one find a definitive tutorial for building the ultimate Bird Barrel???

I tried my first bird barrel chicken this weekend and have to say I've never had such crispy skin. Some people may have thought it was a bit dry, but I loved it.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 154
I tried my first bird barrel chicken this weekend and have to say I've never had such crispy skin. Some people may have thought it was a bit dry, but I loved it.
Bob this isn't a joke thread. If you don't have anything constructive to contribute then :icon_shy

You cook chicken as you see fit and some of us want it like this.

Last edited:
Bob this isn't a joke thread. If you don't have anything constructive to contribute then :icon_shy

You cook chicken as you see fit and some of us want it like this.

Ok, I forget about the no jokes and "everybody wins" rules.

Yup remember there can be no jokes about that "other " cooker either Bob. :tsk: Oh how the memories get shortened.

I was not joking about a specific cooker that is sold to the public and loved by all. My post was referencing an imaginary cooker that I made, and further due to my lack of skill with said cooker, I proceeded to burn the chicken. And although the pretend chicken was bad I put a good face on it and commented on the crispy skin. The joke was all on the submitter of the thread, me, not on a specific product that you can buy. Lighten up Francis.

Edit: I've commented several times on your bird barrel cooks how good the food looks, so it's obvious I have nothing against the bird Barrel.

Lighten up Francis.
It hurts even more since it's something we're making with our own hands vs purchasing Bob.:cry: It is a very specific cooker called a bird barrel. If you want to join the club we'll take it up in committee but no promises, it'll be left up to the democratic process.

BTW clear up your PM box. I wanted to tell you that you're hijacking Matt's thread. :focus:

Last edited:
Back