MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:00 AM   #46
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Google images has a lot of different types of hooks. Some look like they would work better in some smokers than the ones pictured here so far.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...04.R9q8YdSpOEA
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.z2MUvfLYlkg

Old 07-16-2015, 11:07 AM   #47
Jeff H
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Those hooks are about perfect. Do you know what they're made from and how'd you bend them?
Those Walmart tent stakes are Aluminum. I have some I bought for staking down tarps at the RV.
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2015, 11:34 AM   #48
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
Those Walmart tent stakes are Aluminum. I have some I bought for staking down tarps at the RV.
Not the one's I purchased.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2015, 04:29 PM   #49
sethga
Got Wood.

Here's my re-purposed CG rotisserie parts, so I can use it on an open fire / free standing. Hopefully sparks some ideas with people -- you can grab and assemble stuff out of just about anything, you may just need to source a usable motor from ebay / amazon.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=214325

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-17-2015, 05:01 PM   #50
palmcoastbob
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

Don't hang but love to spin!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09081.jpg (99.1 KB, 305 views)

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #51
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethga View Post
Here's my re-purposed CG rotisserie parts, so I can use it on an open fire / free standing. Hopefully sparks some ideas with people -- you can grab and assemble stuff out of just about anything, you may just need to source a usable motor from ebay / amazon.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=214325

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoastbob View Post
Wow those are two really cool wood fired roti setups! The ingenuity on here never fails to amaze me. Love rotissering over a fire but mine isn't near as portable as y'all's. I'm gonna have to fix that.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2015, 05:24 PM   #52
Fwismoker

Quote:
Yours and Seth's are both awesome but so different in design. Did you make yours?

Old 07-18-2015, 07:16 AM   #53
palmcoastbob

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Yours and Seth's are both awesome but so different in design. Did you make yours?
The rotisserie was part of a set bought about 40 years ago that included large and medium grates and a small warming grate. It came with a large square spit with a removable handle. You turned it by hand a quarter turn at a time and it set into the slot on the right. About 15 years ago I asked the shop foreman where I worked if he would take the brackets and motor from my rusted out gasser and mod the old one. This is what he came up with and it works well. I have pipes cut to different lengths to raise or lower depending on the type of fire.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:29 AM   #54
Fwismoker

Quote:
The rotisserie was part of a set bought about 40 years ago that included large and medium grates and a small warming grate. It came with a large square spit with a removable handle. You turned it by hand a quarter turn at a time and it set into the slot on the right. About 15 years ago I asked the shop foreman where I worked if he would take the brackets and motor from my rusted out gasser and mod the old one. This is what he came up with and it works well. I have pipes cut to different lengths to raise or lower depending on the type of fire.
Sweet, what a great way to re vamp an old roti!

Old 07-18-2015, 12:30 PM   #55
sethga
Got Wood.

Bob your setup is sweet!

Quote:
Wow those are two really cool wood fired roti setups! The ingenuity on here never fails to amaze me. Love rotissering over a fire but mine isn't near as portable as y'all's. I'm gonna have to fix that.
Mine was pretty simple considering I already had all of the components, just my mission was to adapt them to use them anywhere. Really happy with it considering I can use it anywhere, it really isn't that hard to have a roti setup that is decoupled from a particular grill. Just for ease of use at home, I'll probably use it mostly on that crappy firepit now.

Definitely keep an eye on home depot/lowes clearance around now. Roti parts will start to show up

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #56
bikerm40

Heres some butts from last year

Old 07-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #57
Fwismoker

If anyone wants to try just laying the rebar on top so it get's more ventilation and convection and worry about knocking the bars off here's a simple solution. You'll be able to adjust them easily and hold them snug. It works really well this way and holds temps solid.

I just used some metal spring clips.... then if you want you can lay a grate on the top for burgers, dogs, brats, veggies etc... right over what you're hanging.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:17 PM   #58
robert-r
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerm40 View Post
Heres some butts from last year

Rock Awn, Bubba!!! Love it.
robert-r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2015, 02:28 PM   #59
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Keep em coming guys, some great ideas! And awesome lookin food!
Not that I didn't have enough smoking from yesterdays all night smoke for the MVF. We were out of smoked bacon, sooo.. why not try the rack I made.
I was hoping to get 1 1/2 lbs on the rack. Well I got 2 full lbs of thick cut bacon, I think I could get around 5 lbs on there. Another photo later into the smoke. I'm going to run around 185 for this smoke. I have a drip pan to catch the drippins for use later as bacon grease is always used when ever possible around here.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2015, 02:36 PM   #60
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
Keep em coming guys, some great ideas! And awesome lookin food!
Not that I didn't have enough smoking from yesterdays all night smoke for the MVF. We were out of smoked bacon, sooo.. why not try the rack I made.
I was hoping to get 1 1/2 lbs on the rack. Well I got 2 full lbs of thick cut bacon, I think I could get around 5 lbs on there. Another photo later into the smoke. I'm going to run around 185 for this smoke. I have a drip pan to catch the drippins for use later as bacon grease is always used when ever possible around here.
Oh boy....I'm thinking really good BLT's right now. Gotta see the finished bacon coming off of there!

Tags
fire pits, hanging without horseshoes, meat hanging, non PBC, PBC, rotisserie, spinning