• BBQ Lamb Chops Armenian Style With Wild Brown Rice Blend and Crispy Fire Grilled Onions

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Picked up a nice good sized lamb rack at the market yesterday. I've been using a simple dry rub that you'll find variations being used at Armenian markets for marinated meats that we love on these chops. It's savory and mighty tasty, and that's how I decided to season them. I've included the recipe at the end of this post.

Cut them into individual chops:

Armenian%20BBQ%20Lamb%20Chops%201_zpslhj5jn4i.jpg

Seasoned with homemade Armenian style dry rub blend:

Armenian%20BBQ%20Lamb%20Chops%202_zpswc30ykgy.jpg

Threw the chops into a large bowl with thinly sliced onions:

Armenian%20BBQ%20Lamb%20Chops%203_zpshfkbxndh.jpg

Added some freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice:

Armenian%20BBQ%20Lamb%20Chops%204_zpsindm7rc6.jpg

Tossed the chops and onions so everything could get coated by the lemon juice:

Armenian%20BBQ%20Lamb%20Chops%204_zpsindm7rc6.jpg

The bowl was then tightly covered with plastic wrap and sat in the fridge for a while.

A few hours later, I fired up the Kingsford Oval and put the chops on indirect, with the onions direct:

Armenian%20BBQ%20Lamb%20Chops%205_zps2tmlcijm.jpg

Flipped the chops after about 5 mins:

Armenian%20BBQ%20Lamb%20Chops%206_zpsxv9vunza.jpg

Getting close now:

Armenian%20BBQ%20Lamb%20Chops%207_zps1bggbctt.jpg

A few minutes before I pulled the chops, I put them upright, bone side to the fire to cook off a bit of fat:

Armenian%20BBQ%20Lamb%20Chops%208_zpsgrmkibci.jpg

Here's the chops after I pulled them, taking a short rest:

Armenian%20BBQ%20Lamb%20Chops%209_zps1kmellon.jpg

Armenian%20BBQ%20Lamb%20Chops%2010_zps2wg1xrxq.jpg

And here's everything plated up and ready to serve, including a nice wild brown rice blend topped with the crispy fire grilled onions:

Armenian%20BBQ%20Lamb%20Chops%2012_zps0lbv66qx.jpg

We cleaned those bones of every morsel of meat, and the rice with the crispy fire grilled onions was delish!

Here's the rub recipe, given to me by one of my favorite Armenian butchers - it's commonly used on lamb chops, chicken wings, pork ribs, beef kabobs etc:

Armenian Style BBQ Rub

2 TBS Paprika
2 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
1/2 tsp Onion powder
Black Pepper to taste

Blend all ingredients, then sprinkle generously on meat till fully covered.

Put meat on a large bowl, and add enough fresh lemon juice to coat meat lightly, then add thinly sliced onions and toss everything to coat. Leave meat in bowl, covered, for a few hours, then cook meat over hot coals till done. Serve immediately.

Note: I triple the ingredients on the rub, which makes roughly 5oz, which fills most standard small size rub containers full to the top.

Moooooose!

Oh, man.... that's a great bit of grill work, brother.

Great lookin' chops and I'm sure that rice and onion mixture must be a winner!

I need to revisit lamb...

Tom,

I've been buying rack of lamb at Von's for a few years now. They are good sized, reasonably priced, and not overly fatty like the ones at Costco. On the other hand, the loin chops at Costco are the best I've seen, both in size and price.

Check it out!

Moooooose!

Oh, man.... that's a great bit of grill work, brother.

Great lookin' chops and I'm sure that rice and onion mixture must be a winner!

Shadow, it was The Missus' idea to add the crispy onions to the rice, so she deserves all the credit.

Richard, another fantastic meal (and always like to see that oval grill in action).

Hoping to see you in a couple of weeks!

Back