Memphis, MAK, Yoder or ?

I've had my Memphis Pro for a few years and love it! It works well as a smoker and a grill. It will go up to 650 degrees. It also has two pellet hoppers so you can use two different types of pellets if you want to.

I stumbled across these guys on Facebook the other day and they look interesting.

https://www.royallgrills.com/

I have no experience, but thought I would bring it up as an option.

I need to add this. While the MAK 2 star may be a little behind the Memphis Elite in grilling. The 3 Star does not have this relative weakness.

That thing can do everything. If the 3 star is in your budget then that's the winner in this conversation IMO.

Don't keep us in suspense ....... I'm holding my breath .... but not for too long ...
Thanks again for all the comments. I'm leaning toward the Memphis Elite at this point. I wish there was a MAK 2.5. The 3 is too big for where I'm going to be putting this thing. The 2 seems like not quite enough area but I could probably work with it. I like what I read about the Yoder and Pitts & Spitts but I think I'm going to need the full stainless for my location. I'm just not sure how the Memphis performs as a smoker so I'm still trying to find more info.

Ordered the Memphis Elite and it should be here this week. Thanks for the feedback. :yo:

If you are concerned about rust, then stainless is definitely a big deal. Not familiar with these units. If you wanted another, I believe Fast Eddie's Smokers are stainless top? Again, never used them.

The Memphis arrived yesterday. Got it all setup and did an initial burn so it's ready to go this weekend. Picked up a couple tri-tips and chickens for the inaugural cook. I went by Costco to see if they had any pork belly to do some of those pork belly burnt ends but unfortunately my Costco doesn't carry them.

The Memphis arrived yesterday. Got it all setup and did an initial burn so it's ready to go this weekend. Picked up a couple tri-tips and chickens for the inaugural cook. I went by Costco to see if they had any pork belly to do some of those pork belly burnt ends but unfortunately my Costco doesn't carry them.

Awesome!!! Initial impressions?!?! :)

I think the only disappointment to come out of a MAK vs Memphis decision is finding out you won't hook us up with any pics of your upcoming cooks! LMAO!!!

:razz::razz::razz:

Awesome!!! Initial impressions?!?! :)
Initial impressions are that it looks like a really nice grill (and not a smoker but I knew what I was getting into). It came with some oak pellets with a Memphis label on the bag. I don't know much about those so I loaded it up with the CookinPellets Perfect Mix that I've used for the last so many years in my smoke tube. Fired it up and it just worked. On the low temps (225 I set it at initially) is was really putting out smoke.

The only thing that concerns me is the huge vent across the entire back/top of the hood that let's all the smoke flow out. I'm thinking about using some tin foil or something to close that up a bit to restrict airflow a bit more.

Brought it up to 650 using my phone and went back outside and before too long that's what the temp on the control unit said it was at. I plan on using my fireboard to read the temps inside the thing tomorrow while I cook and compare that to the reading on the probes that came with the Memphis and with the internal probe that reads the internal temp.

I plan on doing 2 tri-tips seasoned with Pappy's, 2 spatchcocked chickens with Yardbird, and the pork belly burnt ends. My wife ended up finding some pork belly at another Costco that's already sliced into 1" strips. Why they sell it that way instead of the whole slab I have no idea.

I do the tri-tip and chicken quite a bit in my old gasser cabinet with the same seasoning and the same wood pellets so this should be a pretty good comparison.

Initial impressions are that it looks like a really nice grill (and not a smoker but I knew what I was getting into). It came with some oak pellets with a Memphis label on the bag. I don't know much about those so I loaded it up with the CookinPellets Perfect Mix that I've used for the last so many years in my smoke tube. Fired it up and it just worked. On the low temps (225 I set it at initially) is was really putting out smoke.

The only thing that concerns me is the huge vent across the entire back/top of the hood that let's all the smoke flow out. I'm thinking about using some tin foil or something to close that up a bit to restrict airflow a bit more.

Brought it up to 650 using my phone and went back outside and before too long that's what the temp on the control unit said it was at. I plan on using my fireboard to read the temps inside the thing tomorrow while I cook and compare that to the reading on the probes that came with the Memphis and with the internal probe that reads the internal temp.

I plan on doing 2 tri-tips seasoned with Pappy's, 2 spatchcocked chickens with Yardbird, and the pork belly burnt ends. My wife ended up finding some pork belly at another Costco that's already sliced into 1" strips. Why they sell it that way instead of the whole slab I have no idea.

I do the tri-tip and chicken quite a bit in my old gasser cabinet with the same seasoning and the same wood pellets so this should be a pretty good comparison.

Oh man, please do take us along on this Memphis adventure... very much looking forward to seeing/hearing more!! :)

I think the Memphis is set up like the Mak, with a central burn pot and a bunch of louvres across the back to let out the smoke. This is as opposed to a Yoder, which is set up to mimic a traditional smoker, with the burn pot at one end and an exhaust stack at the other.

I like the Memphis/Mak set up for a pellet smoker and believe this attribute helps them be smokier. So I wouldn’t mess with or block the louvres.

I think the Memphis is set up like the Mak, with a central burn pot and a bunch of louvres across the back to let out the smoke. This is as opposed to a Yoder, which is set up to mimic a traditional smoker, with the burn pot at one end and an exhaust stack at the other.

I like the Memphis/Mak set up for a pellet smoker and believe this attribute helps them be smokier. So I wouldn’t mess with or block the louvres.

Agreed! These pellet cookers are pretty dialed in when it comes to proper airflow. Mess with it and there’s a good chance you will be inviting performance issues...

I wouldn’t mess with closing off the vent. It’s designed a certain way and works quite well

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would not do that! Yoder use to put a damper on their stack, and people were restricting air flow too much, and it was causing burn back in the hopper. Very dangerous. Now they don't have a damper at all. They are designed for a certain amount of air flow, and I would not mess with it.

If there are any other units that you'd recommend then I'd like to hear those as well. The RecTec Bull looks interesting but the horn handles might bring back too many bad memories of being at the Rose Bowl in 2006 and watching USC fall to the Longhorns.

Thanks

Sadly I was at the game too. Greatest college football game I ever saw in person & the biggest heartbreak.

I chose the Mak 1-star. I was concerned about the Yoder paint & rust issues already mentioned. I also concluded the central firebox, louvred exhaust, and smaller interior volume of the Mak should make it smokier than the larger Yoder design with firebox on one end and stack on the other. So far I love it — no lack of smoke and no need for smoke tubes or other devices. I also hear it grills well although I haven’t tried it.

I also live in SoCal and the 1-star is holding up beautifully even though it sat outside uncovered for 4-5 months because Mak was out of covers.

I can also vouch for the MAK 1 Star for smoking purposes. It’s the second pellet smoker that I’ve owned, and hopefully it will be the last one that I’ll need to buy. It has a great controller & customer support is top notch.

Back