MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #16
littlechief
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
AWESOME!!

I love gravy as well! We usually do giblet gravy on the stovetop. I've also got some canned homemade chicken stock in the pantry that I made several quarts of this spring. I think I'll try this. I always figured the drippings would burn off. Do you start with a lot if liquid to keep it from evaporating away?
The pan was about half full and I didnt need to add any more liquid during the cook, but this was only a 12lb bird with a total cook time of 2hr 45min. When I do a 20+lb bird I do have to add more liquid during the cook.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #17
Im a Walrus
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinOkie View Post
Speaking of threads...

We have one going, ask your brining questions here. either there or here I'll help with any brining questions:

Ask your Brining questions here

The brining link isn't working for me...
Im a Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #18
Im a Walrus
Got Wood.

So bad news for me- my wife came home with an enhanced turkey. It's got 8% solution in it. Any suggestions for brining with an enhanced turkey?
Im a Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #19
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I read the title and I thought it was "Talk like a turkey day."

"Gobble, gobble, gobble."
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-19-2011, 09:54 PM   #20
Cloudsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Still remember my first brine -- nobody told me you were supposed to rinse. OMG, that was some salty bird.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #21
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im a Walrus View Post
So bad news for me- my wife came home with an enhanced turkey. It's got 8% solution in it. Any suggestions for brining with an enhanced turkey?

Personally (and I'm really no expert) I'd say go for it. The worst thing that can happen is that the osmosis won't work quite as well due to the meat already having been injected with a salt solution. I could be wrong here, and anyone with knowledge otherwise, please chime in.

As I understand it, brining an enhanced bird will just not work as well, but will still help.

That's my $0.02 anyway.......

Old 11-19-2011, 10:29 PM   #22
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've tried lots of turkey gravies, and I've made some good ones, but the best I've ever had, bar none, is made from smoked turkey drippings, 18 ounces of whole milk, and 18 ounces of... Williams Sonoma Turkey Gravy Base!

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...ey-gravy-base/

It's probably horrible for me, but it really is so so so so so good. However, without the drippings, it's just ok. With them, man oh man, I can't seem to beat it.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #23
2K1TJ
Knows what a fatty is.

What about smoke times and temps? Where to put the thermo in the bird, what internal temp to pull?
2K1TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #24
cmcadams

I smoke at 300, put the thermo in the thigh, pull at 160. This year, I'm pulling at 150, and finishing in an infrared fryer.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #25
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K1TJ View Post
What about smoke times and temps? Where to put the thermo in the bird, what internal temp to pull?
Times and temps will vary according to preference. Some will smoke at the typcial 225-250, but most will tell you that "hot & fast" is the preferred method for all poultry (and I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with this take).

And honestly, the best turkey I ever did was done when the smoker "accidentally" (read: I wasn't watching it close enough) got up to 450 degrees. That turkey was PERFECT in every way!

As with Curt, I put the probe in the thickest part of the thigh (NOT TOUCHING THE BONE). When the thigh hits 165-170 I yank it and let the residual cooking do the rest.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #26
Wampus

Default OOO-OOO.....I forgot about THIS tip.....!!!

I almost forgot!

Another great tip that I got along the way here was this....
ICE DOWN THE BREAST PRIOR TO PUTTING THE BIRD ON THE COOKER!!!

Here's why:

As we all know, the "done temp" for poultry thighs and other dark meat is 170-175. If the breast, however, is taken to this temp, it'll be a little dried out and at the least, past it's prime doneness. Many foil the breast to avoid this, many cook the bird upside down to let juices settle into the breast. The best way I've found (and it makes the most sense to me) is to place a freezer bag of ice on the breast (shown above) while you are letting the rest of the bird come to room temp just before putting it on. This will make the breasts cooler than the rest of the bird and will make them start cooking later, thus keeping the breast temp behind the rest of the meat. All I know is with a brine and this technique, our turkey breast meat has been OH SO SCRUMPTIOUS!!!!

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 11-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #27
Mo-Dave

Most of you already know I am not allowed to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving if you have read any of my post about Thanksgiving tradition.

I still was thinking of bringing my 22lb turkey that has an 8% injection and need to know if I am not smoking this bird should I even bother with the brine? Will it make a noticeably deference in how juicy it will be if not overcooked? I do not plan on stuffing the bird so it should cook a bit quicker and my cook temp will be about 350.
Dave

Old 11-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #28
Hot Grill on Grill Logan
Knows what a fatty is.

anyone ever inject bacon grease into the turkey? I've been saving some with this purpose in mind, but have never done it. Think it would be awesome, but would like some feedback from someone that has done this.
Hot Grill on Grill Logan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #29
jason p
On the road to being a farker

I usually do fried turkey but the cost for peanut oil is getting to high so I took some of the oil money and purchased the turkey cannon. Planning on brining,drying the skin, and smoking hot and fast. I picked up a locally raised twenty pound turkey. How much chicken stock do you need in the drip pan for the gravy on average?
jason p is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #30
f308gt4
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Grill on Grill Logan View Post
anyone ever inject bacon grease into the turkey? I've been saving some with this purpose in mind, but have never done it. Think it would be awesome, but would like some feedback from someone that has done this.
Never tried it, but sounds interesting. I happen to have some bacon grease saved up in the fridge. Hmmmm...
f308gt4 is offline   Reply With Quote