MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #16
snakyjake
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatpig View Post
"I already have a WSM, so I don't need a UDS"? I've never heard anything so ridiculous in all my life.
What gives a UDS a unique flavor that is not given by a WSM?
snakyjake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #17
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

Are you using water in the WSM as well? That will use a lot more fuel in cold weather. A waterless/sandless WSM with a guru could be all you need.
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #18
snakyjake

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
Are you using water in the WSM as well? That will use a lot more fuel in cold weather. A waterless/sandless WSM with a guru could be all you need.
Surprised to sandless recommended. Interesting to try.
snakyjake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #19
BBQBeaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
I currently have the WSM, therefore don't need a UDS.

Have never been sure if charcoal has a different flavor than gas. I hear some people say there's no flavor difference, others say there is. Also, I'm talking about non-lighter fluid charcoal. I've been assuming charcoal, gas, electric is simply the heat source (no flavor); for flavor add wood. Not sure why there would be a flavor difference if both are using wood chips/chunks. But I haven't done a taste test between charcoal vs. gas, and hoping someone else who has can chime in. If there is a definite flavor difference, my choice can be narrowed down significantly.

Thanks,
Jake
I swear by charcoal now and only use my gasser to re-season my cast iron stuff.
You see lump charcoal is essentially wood, so yo uwill still get some smoke flavour.
It also depends upon the type/brand of charcoal you are using, as it could add different flavours.

When I first got my keg, my wife complain of 'smoky taste' at first.
To prove it, I purchased a package of pork tenderloin (2 in the pack) and cooked one on the Keg with just Weekend Warrior lump and the other on the gasser without her knowing.

She prefered the one done on the Keg and asked if I oven roasted the other one

Now she is pro-charcoal ... except for me smelling all smokey all of the time

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #20
D.F. Expat
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
What gives a UDS a unique flavor that is not given by a WSM?
The fat dripping directly on the coals adds an extra layer or flavor that you don't get on an offset or water cooker. Combining that with the facts that you are not wasting heat energy to heat a water pan and have a larger potential surface area than a standard WSM makes a UDS a simple decision.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #21
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I currently have the WSM, therefore don't need a UDS.

Stoker/Guru is an option to solve one of my objectives.

Have been hoping for better either fuel conservation than the WSM or cheaper than charcoal, hence gas as an option. Approximately $10 a bag, and doing this once a week adds up to $500+ annually. If if I don't do this as often as once a week, it still adds up to a lot.

Have never been sure if charcoal has a different flavor than gas. I hear some people say there's no flavor difference, others say there is. Also, I'm talking about non-lighter fluid charcoal. I've been assuming charcoal, gas, electric is simply the heat source (no flavor); for flavor add wood. Not sure why there would be a flavor difference if both are using wood chips/chunks. But I haven't done a taste test between charcoal vs. gas, and hoping someone else who has can chime in. If there is a definite flavor difference, my choice can be narrowed down significantly.

Thanks,
Jake
While I normally use my BGE as my primary winter cooker, I have used my upright GOSM gas smoker, and my bullets in cold weather. Of the 3, the gasser is probably the hardest to regulate temp on. As long as you shield your WSM, you shouldn't have that much issue with temp control or fuel consumption, IMO. But, as to the price of the charcoal, consider lump from GFS, Restaurant Depot, etc. I find it's much cheaper per pound, and there is no filler to ash up your cooker, or give your meat odd flavors.
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #22
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

i love all three of my BGE's and i don't even know how to cook.

i say go with the BGE for all the reasons you stated. the burn hot and fast or slow and low and for long periods of time and are seemingly impervious to ambient temps.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #23
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

Quote:
Surprised to sandless recommended. Interesting to try.

You won't need sand if you use a guru/stoker. Sand is used as a heat sink to help regulate temps but with a guru you won't need it. Just line your water pan with foil and let 'er rip!
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #24
hav
is one Smokin' Farker

I used my UDS all winter long...I also bought a Water Heater Blanket for it butI have never needed to use it.
14" Table Top Kettle Grill; Turkey Fryer; [B][I][COLOR=red]Rapid-Fire-Red[/COLOR][/I][/B] Thermapen!; [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B][I]Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE![/I][/B][/COLOR]
hav is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #25
gtsum
Babbling Farker

look at a ceramic, or if you want more capacity look at a gravity feed cooker like stumps, superior, etc. If you liked your WSM (great little cooker), you will like a ceramic (Primo, BGE, or even a bubba).
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #26
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

I'm sort of a collector, and I have several different kinds of smokers: offset, gravity feed, kettle, gasser and ceramic. Without a doubt, the large BGE is my 'go to' winter time cooker. Very fuel efficient with long burn times and consistent temperatures. It's easy to set up and easy to clean. I do use the Guru on windy days. For a quick burger or hot dog, I'll go with the gasser, but for great BBQ flavor, the Egg delivers.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #27
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

I've used a Steel vertical smoker, A cheapo knock off ceramic, a Gasser and a LBGE.

The Big green egg is by far the best! Low and slow, hot and fast an oven etc... I don't have a stoker I also sometimes take a few hour nap with no temp problems.

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #28
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I love my Primo Oval XL with a Maverick ET-73 remote smoker thermometer.
[B]The BBQ Equipment Store[/B]
[URL="http://www.BBQEQUIPMENTSTORE.COM/?sourceCode=bbq-brethren"]www.bbqequipmentstore.com[/URL]
[COLOR=red][B][COLOR=red][B]Proud 2015 Sponsor of Christmas City BBQ, Astro Pigs and Drilling and Grilling[/B][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR]No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceramic, gas, smoker