commercial smokers ....??

T-Man

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What kinds/brands of cookers are used in the restaurant business ? I know the vast majority of BBQ joints use electric type , and in some area wood burning pits are forbidden by local food reg's...

Southern Pride, Ole Hickory, Cookshack are the first ones that come to mind.

Yup! What Richard said!

I'll be firing up an all wood fired Oyler next week! :thumb:

I was going to start a thread like this but my question is this:

Do the electric smokers in Q joints such as cookshacks and the other mentioned above, do they produce TBS? I have noticed a HUGE taste difference between food smoked on a cookshak vs an offset or any charcoal based cooker such as wsm and yadda yadda yadda.

Does the pyler use a gas flame to keep the pit going?

Man... There is a pretty good difference in the quality of the BBQ between a offset smoker and a cookshack type..(I own a Cookshack)... But when I go for BBQ everything taste's ...Electric.... As far as "TBS" do not know definition...

Man... There is a pretty good difference in the quality of the BBQ between a offset smoker and a cookshack type..(I own a Cookshack)... But when I go for BBQ everything taste's ...Electric.... As far as "TBS" do not know definition...

TBS = Thins Blue Smoke. The smoke we all try to achieve with our smokers.

LOL...TBS....Yep I know about the the smoke.... LOL...Thanks for the definition of the acronym...

Maybe your area is different, but in these parts the strong majority of dedicated BBQ restaurants use Southern Pride and Ole Hickory hybrid production cookers that use gas for heat and logs for smoke. Cookers that use electric power for heat are usually found only in franchise operations or places where BBQ is not their primary focus.

The exceptions are the legacy joints that have hand-built pits that have been grandfathered by the Health Department. Hybrids come in stainless with an NSF stamp that keeps the HD police happy.

Back