MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
cgwaite
Full Fledged Farker

Default Question about Maverick Remote Smoker Thermometer (ET-73)

I have two ET-73 Remote Smoker Thermometers that I love. On a recent cook, I guess I fried the probes for one of the thermometers, as it now reads HHH.

A quick check in Maverick's website indicates that the probe is now more than likely bad. I am sure that I did something wrong that caused this failure, so I have ordered two more sets. What I need to know is how do I protect my probes from this sort of damage in the future? The website mentioned the use of foil, but didn't say what specifically to do with the foil or what specifically to wrap. Do any of you use foil to protect your leads? If so, how?

Since the leads that I have are wire-braided, am I correct to assume that if any portion of that braid comes in contact with hot metal (like a cooking grate or the side of a hot cooker) that it might cause this sort of failure, or at a minimum a false temp reading? If that is the case, will I need to drill an access hole for my leads into the side of my WSM and if I do that, what will I use as a grommet to protect the lead from the surrounding heat?

I really do like the ET-73s and want to use them properly so I can get the most accurate usage and longevity out of them as possible. Thanks, in advance for your replies.
1 - 18.5 WSM
KCBS Member #52009
Certified MOINK Baller
cgwaite is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
motley que
is one Smokin' Farker

Wrap the cords and you will be good to go
30 qt outdoor cooker
Blue Drum Smoker
Red Drum Smoker
Orange Drum Smoker
Weber Smokey Joe - my 3 yr olds pit
Blue Thermopen
Harbor Freight Weed Burner

Tired, but wiser for the time
motley que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
Frank Sacco
is One Chatty Farker

will I need to drill an access hole for my leads into the side of my WSM and if I do that, what will I use as a grommet to protect the lead from the surrounding heat?

Check out the Guru eyelets. They work great!! I've had no problems using my ET-73 with this setup on my WSM. Installation should take 15-20 min for a first timer.
http://secure.thebbqguru.com/Product...&idproduct=136

Good luck
Sponsors: Oakridge BBQ, Frontier Charcoal
NEBS MAFIA
Blazin' Buttz BBQ www.blazinbuttzbbq.com
Frank Sacco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
cgwaite
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Sacco View Post
will I need to drill an access hole for my leads into the side of my WSM and if I do that, what will I use as a grommet to protect the lead from the surrounding heat?

Check out the Guru eyelets. They work great!! I've had no problems using my ET-73 with this setup on my WSM. Installation should take 15-20 min for a first timer.
http://secure.thebbqguru.com/Product...&idproduct=136

Good luck

Hey thanks, just placed my order!
1 - 18.5 WSM
KCBS Member #52009
Certified MOINK Baller
cgwaite is offline   Reply With Quote