MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #8791
barbqrken
Found some matches.

Default Good info. Building a new UDS myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthole View Post
I have mine at 5" below and 12" below the lip using a weber lid. This way I can get 2 butts on each rack without touching the lid or easily do beer can chicken on both racks. I have the bolts in place for the optional flower pot heat diffuser which lets me run it exactly like a WSM or take it out and just use the top rack traditional UDS style.
barbqrken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #8792
BillywannaQ
Full Fledged Farker

My UDS has a flat lid. I put my rack 8 inches from the top. If I want to add a top rack, is 3 inches enough clearance from the lid to cook some baby back ribs? Thanks.
BillywannaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #8793
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhollar View Post
Thanks for all the responses, coewar do you have a photo of how you have your racks? Also are the legs zinc or stainless.
Nthole on yours having your lower rack 12 inches below do you have any issues getting burnt or too hot. New to this habit, I am now on my third UDS in less than 2 months, wife really don't complan now that she has found out when I smoke she don't cook. win win.
Most of my bolts are the normal grade steel which may have zinc coating.

I spray all of it thoroughly with a cooking oil (olive oil works great, but PAM stuff is fine too.) Inside of the drum too and rubbing it helps. Lid too. Then I heat the drum at least to 350 degrees for at least 30 mins. This will season and seal everything inside and if you do it well, it will have a nice coat that actually won't rub off easily.

And once you start cooking, everything will be coated in black stuff. The zinc in the metals there shouldn't pose any problem at this point, even without all this prep. The temperatures that zinc starts coming off the metal is much higher than you'd ever smoke at. Only the charcoal itself gets hot enough. I also heard the zinc poisoning is only if inhaled.

When you purchase cooking grates for any grill, they sometimes are stainless steel and sometimes the same grade with potentially zinc in it.

I don't have a pic, but there are some on this site. I found some long bolts that either have a head large enough not to fall through the grates, or I got enough fender washers (large washers) and nuts to attach them to the grate and also create "feet" for them so when standing on another grate, they won't fall through. I just used 3 per grate. Some have done 4 legs.

And you can adjust the height if needed by just moving the nuts and washers down the bolt.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #8794
nthole
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhollar View Post
Thanks for all the responses, coewar do you have a photo of how you have your racks? Also are the legs zinc or stainless.
Nthole on yours having your lower rack 12 inches below do you have any issues getting burnt or too hot. New to this habit, I am now on my third UDS in less than 2 months, wife really don't complan now that she has found out when I smoke she don't cook. win win.
I ONLY use the lower rack if the heat diffuser is in place. Otherwise, yes, that would essentially be grilling level!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20110903-00284.jpg (56.3 KB, 764 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20110903-00286.jpg (132.4 KB, 766 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20110909-00288.jpg (44.7 KB, 761 views)
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #8795
canoe
Knows what a fatty is.

I am thinking about building my pops a uds. He really likes mine. So I am planning on using a weber again for parts. Last time I built my fire basket with the expanded metal and weber charcoal grate. This time I am thinking about just triming the top off the bottom of the weber kettle and using it. How's that work out for folks? Seems much easier and it makes better use of my parts weber kettle.
canoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #8796
PhilipW
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm visiting Petaluma / Santa Rosa Cal next weekend and looking for a place to get a barrel to build a friend a smoker for while visiting. Does anybody know of a place to find them? I'd prefer a removable top for the build. New is ok as well.
PhilipW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #8797
byounghusband
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Anyone know of a place in the Dallas area to get a drum sandblasted on the inside or a reasonable price? Burn Bans make it a bit tough to remove the liner.... I got quotes from $75 to $175

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #8798
Big Joe TX
Got rid of the matchlight.

byounghusband, I don't know where to get it sandblasted, but, I bought a brand new drum that has never been used and does not have a liner. It was alot cheaper than the sandblasting. See the info below.

2214 SINGLETON BLVD
DALLAS, TEXAS

For more information email us at [email protected]
(214) 638-7027
Fax: (214) 638-3786
Monday – Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Heavy duty drum: $44.50
Extra heavy duty drum: $49.00
Removable Bolt / Ring lid
2” & ¾” bung in lid
New drum never used / no liner / metal only

Big Joe

Old 10-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #8799
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Joe TX View Post
byounghusband, I don't know where to get it sandblasted, but, I bought a brand new drum that has never been used and does not have a liner. It was alot cheaper than the sandblasting. See the info below.

2214 SINGLETON BLVD
DALLAS, TEXAS

For more information email us at [email protected]
(214) 638-7027
Fax: (214) 638-3786
Monday – Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Heavy duty drum: $44.50
Extra heavy duty drum: $49.00
Removable Bolt / Ring lid
2” & ¾” bung in lid
New drum never used / no liner / metal only

Big Joe
When I was building mine in Phoenix, this is the route I went. For me, it was a matter of what my time was worth to get the liner out. I decided to go with new drums for both of mine.

They were about double what is listed above, thats a great price!
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #8800
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillywannaQ View Post
My UDS has a flat lid. I put my rack 8 inches from the top. If I want to add a top rack, is 3 inches enough clearance from the lid to cook some baby back ribs? Thanks.
I think it is, but I'd say purchase a rack and measure them to the highest point. Not much else will fit like that. it was my original configuration. Then I went out and found lids to weber kettles which give me much more room for whatever I want to use on the top rack.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #8801
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

My son and I built this over the weekend and planning on cooking a pork butt on it tomorrow. Still need to paint it guess that's next weekends project. Black and Gold of course GO STEELERS!!

pwa
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2011, 06:26 AM   #8802
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

I was thinking "Dang, where are you at with all that snow, Alaska?" Then I looked at your location.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:40 AM   #8803
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
I was thinking "Dang, where are you at with all that snow, Alaska?" Then I looked at your location.
LoL and were just getting started with that white stuff.... actual were behind the norm but I'm sure it coming soon. Just fired up the UDS it -2F out were see how it does.

pwa
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2011, 09:51 AM   #8804
barbqrken
Found some matches.

Default I still think

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwa View Post
My son and I built this over the weekend and planning on cooking a pork butt on it tomorrow. Still need to paint it guess that's next weekends project. Black and Gold of course GO STEELERS!!

pwa
I still think that if one was to work all day long on one of these, you could build it, paint it, and cook on it by 6 in the evening.
barbqrken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2011, 12:13 AM   #8805
mmmmeat
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbqrken View Post
I still think that if one was to work all day long on one of these, you could build it, paint it, and cook on it by 6 in the evening.
Almost huh! I get mine all built, in about 3 hours, then burn it out during the night (love sittin round a fire at night, but move that up to right after build 4 hour burnout, cool, and scrub, build the fire basket during burn out, I agree it could be done

Posted from my fancy android fone!!
[/URL] [URL="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490010637758.259874.578407758&l=06aa73c27f"]GROGG[/URL]
[URL="fromthemouthofkstewart.blogspot.com"]MY BLOG[/URL]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/mmmgto"]Facebookin it![/URL]
Avatar created by i really wish i remember, but they got skillZ
mmmmeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker