Advice please: quantity vs time

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
So; for the upcoming weekend cook the other part of the family wants 3 briskets, 18 racks of spares & 15 chickens, quartered. Not worried about the chicken, I got a plan. For the briskets, 3@15 lbs on at 8:00 am @ +300*, wrapped at 12:00 noon and in the finisher/hold. I'm worried about the ribs - 18 racks on at noon-30 & 300* can they be ready at 4:30-5:00, if I was only doing 6 racks I would not worry, but 18 at one time will pack my 24x60 reverse flow offset. Do I need to account for quantity in my cook plan?

Yes, if it starts to block the air flow through the smoker, it will slow the cooking. The meat will cook unevenly and the racks in the middle of the cooker will cook less than on the ends. Do you have racks for them?

^^^^ Thanks. Yes, I can fab some racks to improve circulation & I've already decided to buy some time buy starting earlier (gotta feed the cows at 5:30 anyhow) and holding is easier than raw!

personlyy, i'd plan to have everything don, ready, by 4. then back it up an hour to account for the unaccountable.

i would think, just pulling out a tape measure real quick, you could fit 18 racks on 60 inches pretty easily with no need for racks.

Why not put some of the ribs on with the brisket? They will hold just as well as the brisket. Then you won't have to worry about time.

Cook a bunch of butts. Tell them the ribs were fall off the bone tender, and you made it easier to eat by getting rid of those pesky bones. :bow:

I measure pit temps just under the grate.......but I've not been able to cook a 15 lb brisket in 4 hours at 300F. Can you finish yours in 4 hours at 300F? If so, are you measuring temps different than what I described?

I measure pit temps just under the grate.......but I've not been able to cook a 15 lb brisket in 4 hours at 300F. Can you finish yours in 4 hours at 300F? If so, are you measuring temps different than what I described?

Thanks, sorry if I was not clea but for the briskets I'm plannin on 4 hours on the smoke, wrap in BP for 1-1/2 to 2 hours (6 hrs total) then hold in a cooler. More worried about the ribs 12:30 - 4:30/5:00

If you can hold the big meats I'd start my cook earlier. You've got enough mass to keep it warm, if you have the capacity to hold it. If you don't acquiring it is cheaper than acquiring a larger cooker.

Why not put some of the ribs on with the brisket? They will hold just as well as the brisket. Then you won't have to worry about time.

really? a 2 pound piece of meat and bones will hold like a 14-17 pound hunk of meat? please, enlighten.

really? a 2 pound piece of meat and bones will hold like a 14-17 pound hunk of meat? please, enlighten.

As long as the temp is maintained between 150 and 160, both will hold. the brisket will be about 7-8 pounds by then. I have held ribs for 4 hours and they have maintained their quality. If you are worried about overcooking the ribs, take them off early and they will continue to cook in a warmer holding box.

I would do this ^^^ chicken doesn't take but a hour at 300+ but you know this.
I also think big smokers should have 3 racks and have one dedicated rack for ribs something like this at least i would:wink:...
Gator_Pit_Rib_Rack_Holder_4.jpg

Back