22.5" Kettle Lid wont fit UDS

BBQClyde

Reaction score
So i'm building my first UDS and have ran into an issue. I am sure its been solved on here but i can't seem to find the answer. I picked up a wally world 22.5" kettle grill to use for various parts, including the lid. The lid will not fit over the rolled lip on the top of the drum. Is the solution to just cut off the lip on the drum or ?

If you cut the rolled lip off you'll compromise the rigidity it provides.. I added a section of flat aluminium to the inside of my drum so the lid would fit. It fits real tight. Here's a pic. Cheers!!!

DSCN2877.jpg

Take vicegrips and gradually open up the lip of the weber lid until it fits. Go slow and easy and it works great. Once it fits then take a piece of wood and move it around the edge and hammer the lip down a little so it fits better. I don't have any problems with mine.

Thanks for all the answers guys. I like the idea of the rolled aluminum strip as well as using vice grips to open up the lid. Really the only reason i want to use the dome lid is for space for my rib rack. I generally cook 3 racks of ribs at a time and dont think 3 will fit flat on the grate. I think i'd have to stand them up on a rack for that.

I wouldn't recommend modifying the lid... The aluminum add-on works very nicely :)

I also did the rolled aluminum on mine, and use some foil and the lock ring to get a nice seal. No hardware though, as I cut it exact and it actually wedges itself end to end where it meets. If you can go that route, I highly recommend it as it makes it easy to bounce between lids depending on the cook. I have found that the drum just seems to cook better with the original lid, but sometimes there is the convenience of the added head room and maybe I am just needing some more time to adjust. Definitely cooks different in my opinion anyway.

My only reason for wanting the kettle lid as opposed to the flat lid is more room for food.
I'll probably never use more than 1 rack, but when i do ribs i usually cook 3-5 racks at a time. I see no way that 3 racks would lay flat on 1 cooking grate. i'm wanting the head room to use my rib rack to stand them up. I guess i could always just lower my cooking grate to about 5" as opposed 1 3/4" and use the rib rack that way?

Elcheapo Wal-Mart kettle bottom bolted to a cut out flatlid, sealed with Permatex HighTemp Silicone.

Attachments

• 100_1134.jpg
    100_1134.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 220
Ran in to this issue with my first drum. Flipped it over, and the lid fit perfectly. Also, I can usually fit 3 STL racks of spares on my drum. Its a tight fit, but they fit.

I found an old "Copper Mist" kettle at a garage sale. $3. The lid was minty, the bowl, not so much. I cut the top of the bowl off about an inch down, attached some stove gasket all around and smooshed it in the drum. Fits like a glove. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

P6180054.jpg

P6180050.jpg

Thanks for all the answers guys. I like the idea of the rolled aluminum strip as well as using vice grips to open up the lid. Really the only reason i want to use the dome lid is for space for my rib rack. I generally cook 3 racks of ribs at a time and dont think 3 will fit flat on the grate. I think i'd have to stand them up on a rack for that.

3 Racks of St.Louis style Ribs fits easy in the UDS.

Back