MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Pa_BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Advice on vending my first fair.

Our county fair is not huge, we are a very small rural community so its a great place to start. BBQ is almost un heard of and to be honest do not ever remember seeing a BBQ vendor at our fair ever.

I am mainly going to do pulled pork, chips and canned drinks to keep it simple.

I do have to submit a menu in the next few days and can not offer anything that is not approved on that menu.

I am wondering if I should add ribs and chicken to the menu in case I want to cook those some days, but have the pulled pork as the main offering.

I am guessing you do not HAVE to keep stock of each item but you can not decide to offer it if it was not already approved on the application.

For those who do fair's what do you offer and are there any items to avoid.

The nice thing about our small fair, is that the space is quite inexpensive, so will be great to get our cooking out to people for very little cost.
PK360
Fireboard, CyberQ
Pa_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
getyourrubonbbq
Take a breath!

How are you going to store the food and what will use for cooking? How many days will you vend?
[URL="http://www.extremebbqtrailers.com"]www.extremebbqtrailers.com[/URL]
getyourrubonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
Pa_BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourrubonbbq View Post
How are you going to store the food and what will use for cooking? How many days will you vend?
We are in the process of building a vending trailer, although it will be a temp food permit and not have to be an approved mobile facility. We were in the process of getting a mobile vending license when we decided to do the fair.

Here in Pa you can get 3 temp permits a year with out having to have a regular vending license. We should have our regular permit by then, but if not can easily have the temp permit.

We will have a clean dry place with refrigerator, coolers and 3 compartment sinks along with a hand sink to prepare food. Food will be brought in mornings that are sealed and in coolers from Sams. I will also have a 10X10 tent with table and chairs to serve under.
I will be vending for 6 days.
PK360
Fireboard, CyberQ
Old 06-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

For the first outing, keep it simple. Pork sandwiches, chips, and drink is a great start. Next year or next time you can add to the menu!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
For the first outing, keep it simple. Pork sandwiches, chips, and drink is a great start. Next year or next time you can add to the menu!
Listen to the old fart.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Go with you original idea then add turkey legs to the menu. They hot-hold very well and that's something you are going to need to consider.

I find that turkey legs sell out big time! With a family on a budget they tend to look for the best bang for the buck, we post a big ol sign announcing the turkey legs (aprx) weight and price. It's easy math for the customer- Buy a 1/4 pound cheese burger or a 1 pound smoked fresh turkey leg for about the same price? Everyone sells processed burgers but turkey legs offer more for less and two people can eat off one.

Whenever anyone orders one the girls at the front start yelling "TURKEY LEEGEGGGGG!!! and ring the triangle. It's a huge attention getter. I even started autographing the finished bone then zip tied my business card to it. Bring it back tomorrow and we give you a buy one get one half price.

We try and make food fun at events like festivals.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
Big_Alvin
Full Fledged Farker

what do you get for a turkey leg?
Old 06-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
hmacmill
Got Wood.

How will you reheat the pulled pork?
hmacmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
Pa_BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmacmill View Post
How will you reheat the pulled pork?
Either in a foil pan on the ts120 or a roaster
PK360
Fireboard, CyberQ
Old 06-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Things are way different over here, we go .50p above whatever the burgers (usually around 3.30-4.00 for a burger from a festival vendor.) are going for at other vendors. I don't know anyone that vends them here so it has to be a a good price being new to the masses. We could be asking more but most places have been overloaded with food stalls.

They are not too expensive direct from the butchers.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009

Last edited by Dr_KY; 06-07-2011 at 05:11 PM..
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #11
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Go big or go home. Thats jacked up's theory for vending. Be there to make money or dont do it.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #12
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ View Post
Go big or go home. Thats jacked up's theory for vending. Be there to make money or dont do it.
True that but we were just saying don't go "all in" your first time.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 06-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
Pa_BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Just contacted the fair, with the deadline this Friday to sign up, they are excited to have their first BBQ vendor (us)

I believe I am going to offer BBQ chicken (thighs) and Ribs. I find ribs and chicken easy to cook and I will have my cooker there. I will not have Ribs every day, may offer them on day 3 and advertise them as while they last and see how they go.

I am looking forward to this especially since they have never had a BBQ vendor before.
PK360
Fireboard, CyberQ
Old 06-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #14
chad

Good luck.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #15
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

Odd as it my sound, I've added smoked chicken legs to my festival menu. People like them because they are easy to eat while walking around. They get done in a couple of hours or so and hot hold pretty well. Selling price is $2.00 each or 3 for $5.00 making for a nice margin. I get them at Sam's and they are pretty good size, approximate cost each is $0.50. The price gets better if you purchase by the case.
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote