MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave
Default Advice please: quantity vs time

So; for the upcoming weekend cook the other part of the family wants 3 briskets, 18 racks of spares & 15 chickens, quartered. Not worried about the chicken, I got a plan. For the briskets, 3@15 lbs on at 8:00 am @ +300*, wrapped at 12:00 noon and in the finisher/hold. I'm worried about the ribs - 18 racks on at noon-30 & 300* can they be ready at 4:30-5:00, if I was only doing 6 racks I would not worry, but 18 at one time will pack my 24x60 reverse flow offset. Do I need to account for quantity in my cook plan?

Old 03-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yes, if it starts to block the air flow through the smoker, it will slow the cooking. The meat will cook unevenly and the racks in the middle of the cooker will cook less than on the ends. Do you have racks for them?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i'd start at six.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
dwfisk

^^^^ Thanks. Yes, I can fab some racks to improve circulation & I've already decided to buy some time buy starting earlier (gotta feed the cows at 5:30 anyhow) and holding is easier than raw!

Old 03-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

personlyy, i'd plan to have everything don, ready, by 4. then back it up an hour to account for the unaccountable.

i would think, just pulling out a tape measure real quick, you could fit 18 racks on 60 inches pretty easily with no need for racks.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Why not put some of the ribs on with the brisket? They will hold just as well as the brisket. Then you won't have to worry about time.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
dwfisk

All good suggestions. Thanks

Old 03-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
landarc

Cook a bunch of butts. Tell them the ribs were fall off the bone tender, and you made it easier to eat by getting rid of those pesky bones.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 03-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Re: Advice please: quantity vs time

I measure pit temps just under the grate.......but I've not been able to cook a 15 lb brisket in 4 hours at 300F. Can you finish yours in 4 hours at 300F? If so, are you measuring temps different than what I described?

Old 03-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
dwfisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogFan View Post
I measure pit temps just under the grate.......but I've not been able to cook a 15 lb brisket in 4 hours at 300F. Can you finish yours in 4 hours at 300F? If so, are you measuring temps different than what I described?
Thanks, sorry if I was not clea but for the briskets I'm plannin on 4 hours on the smoke, wrap in BP for 1-1/2 to 2 hours (6 hrs total) then hold in a cooler. More worried about the ribs 12:30 - 4:30/5:00

Old 03-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
landarc

4 to 5 hours is doable, if all goes to plan

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 03-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
Jorge

If you can hold the big meats I'd start my cook earlier. You've got enough mass to keep it warm, if you have the capacity to hold it. If you don't acquiring it is cheaper than acquiring a larger cooker.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
dwfisk

^ yea, probably get a cold front or something "best aid plans"???

Old 03-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
Why not put some of the ribs on with the brisket? They will hold just as well as the brisket. Then you won't have to worry about time.
really? a 2 pound piece of meat and bones will hold like a 14-17 pound hunk of meat? please, enlighten.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #15
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
really? a 2 pound piece of meat and bones will hold like a 14-17 pound hunk of meat? please, enlighten.
As long as the temp is maintained between 150 and 160, both will hold. the brisket will be about 7-8 pounds by then. I have held ribs for 4 hours and they have maintained their quality. If you are worried about overcooking the ribs, take them off early and they will continue to cook in a warmer holding box.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote