MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Default uds drum score

Scored my uds drum on CL today for 20.00 thought that was a pretty good deal considering it was on the way home from work so it wasn't outta the way . It is food grade and contained cooking oil it also seems to be a thicker gauge metal than most drums i have seen.. If there's anyone in the richmond,VA area that needs a drum just search uds on Richmond CL and u will find them on there

Last edited by HookedOnQ; 05-12-2015 at 02:28 PM..
HookedOnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
peaspurple
is one Smokin' Farker

If its food grade it may have the dreaded liner in it!

Old 02-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

Same guy I got mine from. It does have the tan liner in it. Since then, I have found a source that supposedly has unlined barrels for $7.00 but I haven't personally seen them.
Just have to drive an hour and a half down 460, but it would be worth the time and gas if you had a few people that wanted one. If you give up on the liner and want to try the unlined route, let me know. I might be able to use another one.
Toney Marconi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

As said above it does have the tan liner im hoping the tan is easyer to remove than the red.. Guess ill find out. I have family in and also hunt in ivor thats about a hour and a half down 460 so may not be out the way for me.. Ima give it a try getting this liner out first tho

Old 02-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

I used a couple cans of Easy-Off Oven Cleaner, pressure washed, and then made two pretty big fires using pallets. I got "most" of the liner out. I'm one of those that lean towards the side that the liner is probably less of a carcinogen than the smoke that we use to cook with so I am comfortable with a little liner left in the drum. If you picked up the drum on the way home from work, you either live or work pretty close to me. Let me know if you need any help or just want to take a look at how I made mine.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Ima give it a good burn or two than take the wire wheel on the grinder to it should be good to go after that.. Toney i work in colonial heights live in chesterfield sounds like ur not too far from me .

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookedOnQ View Post
Toney i work in colonial heights live in chesterfield sounds like ur not too far from me .

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2
I live not too far from where Courthouse crosses Powhite.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #8
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

i'm pretty sure i got my drum from the same guy. i actually suggested he change his CL post to mention the UDS, and he did. the liner in them isn't too hard to get rid of, nothing like the red liner.

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
i'm pretty sure i got my drum from the same guy. i actually suggested he change his CL post to mention the UDS, and he did. the liner in them isn't too hard to get rid of, nothing like the red liner.
It may be the same guy. He said he had guys coming all the way from va beach and fredricksburg to get barrels for a uds. Kinda suprised me to here that u would think u could pick something up closer to home

Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
bigbeef24
Full Fledged Farker

If your in the norfolk area there is a guy that sandblasts the drums and burns the liner out at 1500 degrees for $42. The extra saves a ton of time.

Bock Drum Company, Inc.
2610 Florida Avenue
Norfolk, VA 23513

Tel: 757-855-0549
bigbeef24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
vafish
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeef24 View Post
If your in the norfolk area there is a guy that sandblasts the drums and burns the liner out at 1500 degrees for $42. The extra saves a ton of time.

Bock Drum Company, Inc.
2610 Florida Avenue
Norfolk, VA 23513

Tel: 757-855-0549
That would almost be worth the time to drive down from Nova.

Come to think if it I hav e a coworker that lives down there and commutes up here during the week. Wonder if a 55 gal drum will fit in the trunk of a Honda accord.
Silver UDS with weber lid, UDS #2 black with a weber lid, 1995 Treager pellet grill, 22.5 Weber
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #12
greazyg
Got Wood.

Ha- I see that $20 drum add everytime I look at Richmond CL!
greazyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #13
peaspurple
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
That would almost be worth the time to drive down from Nova.

Come to think if it I hav e a coworker that lives down there and commutes up here during the week. Wonder if a 55 gal drum will fit in the trunk of a Honda accord.
not sure where in nova you are, but i live in Maryland and i got a guy i get them from for $20 a barrel. let me know and maybe we can work something out.