MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:20 PM   #3106
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Damn. Not good smoke

Old 02-01-2018, 04:22 PM   #3107
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Damn, that sucks. Sounds like a grease fire that was contained to the smoker, no damage to the building and no injuries. So, should be go to go real quick.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2018, 05:00 PM   #3108
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Are they still using the Southern Pride smoker from Prized Pig?

Old 02-02-2018, 05:24 PM   #3109
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

So, as many of you have already seen or heard in the news, we had a fire yesterday. It was a scary ordeal and I was the only one in the building when the fire broke out. Luckily I caught it within minutes of starting and managed to keep it at bay with our two fire extinguishers until just by pure luck/coincidence, a police officer and customer pulled in because he saw the smoke and immediately called the fire crews.

Thank god he showed up so quickly because I had used up both fire extinguishers and the fire began spreading to the kitchen. Crews arrived within five minutes and had the fire out about 15 minutes later. That isn't to say damage was limited to the smoker. The back part of the kitchen sustained major fire/smoke/water damage.

We are so thankful to have such a good crew working for us and such loyal customers because immediately after the fire was out everyone pitched in to begin rebuilding. We formed an assembly line from the building to the dumpster to remove all of the debris, the health department showed up within an hour to tell us what food we could save and what we couldn't, we had our foodservice company drop off a refrigerated trailer within the hour so we could empty and save the thousands of dollars worth of meat in the walk-in coolers, and a fire restoration company was in there doing their thing before noon.

It is a setback to be sure and we're looking at a week or two before we'll be able to get the doors back open again, which sucks, but from what the fire department told us, they said the building was literally minutes from becoming a complete loss. And even more importantly, nobody or myself got hurt (although I almost got arrested for disobeying police orders to not enter the building to try to put the fire out myself).

As for the cause of the fire? It's just an awful smoker design. I won't disclose the brand of the smoker, but it's an offset cabinet style smoker. The problem is the firebox is a mere 16 inches away from the grease catch basin. Open flames that close to highly flammable grease is a recipe for disaster. From what the fire department told me, they have been called to that restaurant probably five times over the past two years for similar fires.

The good news is my southern pride has returned from Ft. Wayne, completely retrofitted on a trailer and is ready for action. We're resuming smoking tomorrow night to do a bunch of super bowl catering. After that it will be relocated to the restaurant and be the workhorse for most of the smoking. As for the existing smoker, we are still undecided. Nobody wants to keep it, but we need the added capacity. It's just not designed well to put out the consistent product I demand. It's so bad that the lower racks can be running at 300 degrees while the top racks struggle to hit 200. That makes most of the smoker unusable, or at best, inconsistent. As time goes on we may replace that entirely, or just junk it and find another permanent solution.

So, the saga continues...

I thought I'd seen it all running my own place, but to throw almost burning a building down into the mix? I pray to god I've seen it all now. But there's no rest when it comes to BBQ. We're rebuilding and expanding and will be slinging meat again in no time at all.

Thanks for all of the well wishes and concern. It means a lot to have the support of everyone here.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2018, 05:31 PM   #3110
zitterich246
Full Fledged Farker

Wow, the rollercoaster ride continues....

Old 02-02-2018, 05:39 PM   #3111
RedFlowerBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Such a rollercoaster ride! Hang in there... your resilience is admirable
RedFlowerBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2018, 05:44 PM   #3112
Schmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : "Hey, YOU!"

>> As for the cause of the fire? It's just an awful smoker design. I won't disclose the
>> brand of the smoker, but it's an offset cabinet style smoker.

Why on earth would you keep the brand name secret?
And a 22" Weber with GrillGrates and a Vortex.
KCBS member ... primarily so I can get into Restaurant Depot.
Purple and pink Thermapens. The slow ones, as I'm not competitive.
Schmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-02-2018, 05:51 PM   #3113
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoke View Post
>> As for the cause of the fire? It's just an awful smoker design. I won't disclose the
>> brand of the smoker, but it's an offset cabinet style smoker.

Why on earth would you keep the brand name secret?
Because it’s the nature of the cabinet design itself, not the particular manufacturer. They make plenty of other awesome pits and I’m not faulting the builder so I don’t want to drag their name into it. Any similar cabinet design could have done the same.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-02-2018, 05:55 PM   #3114
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Because it’s the nature of the cabinet design itself, not the particular manufacturer. They make plenty of other awesome pits and I’m not faulting the builder so I don’t want to drag their name into it. Any similar cabinet design could have done the same.
What ended up happening to the Shirley Fab you were using at the Prized Pig? Is that available for added capacity?

Good to hear no one was hurt and the damage wasn’t too extensive.

[url]www.facebook.com/goindeepbbq[/url]
CT-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #3115
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
What ended up happening to the Shirley Fab you were using at the Prized Pig? Is that available for added capacity?

Good to hear no one was hurt and the damage wasn’t too extensive.
Regrettably I sold it after I closed because I needed the money. In hindsight I wish I had kept it. 😕

Old 02-02-2018, 07:07 PM   #3116
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitterich246 View Post
Wow, the rollercoaster ride continues....
...............just living the "dream".
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2018, 07:27 PM   #3117
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Regrettably I sold it after I closed because I needed the money. In hindsight I wish I had kept it. 😕
Bummer

[url]www.facebook.com/goindeepbbq[/url]
CT-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2018, 07:39 PM   #3118
Sooner21
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

It could potentially save people from another fire...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sooner21 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:11 AM   #3119
nmeyer414
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner21 View Post
It could potentially save people from another fire...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and he has already stated that he would not disclose that info........respect the man for his choices!

If you haven't gotten it by now reading this entire thread, then let me help you out. Jeremy is a professional and he does not put trivial and personal business out on a public forum for people to come to their dumb conclusions and continue spamming up threads!

if the maker/builder of the pit wants to claim responsibility then so be it!

leave the subject alone and do not reply to this posting!

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-04-2018, 01:09 PM   #3120
cats49er
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Stacy Robertson

Just remember grease drain 16 inches from fire box.