• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pickled Pork Tenderloin Char Siu (Char Siu Sauce Courtesy chicagokp!)

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Last Wednesday I started a cook for the current Throw Down, about pickles. I decided to do my own pickling for this one, and I wanted to try pickled pork. I found a few recipes but decided on Alton Brown's:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pickled-pork-recipe/index.html

with only a few mods, the largest one using tenderloin instead of shoulder. At any rate, I also made a nice pickled veggie "salad" using sliced cucumber, radish, onion, ginger and Serrano in rice vinegar, salt and sugar.

Veggies:

pickle3_zps13281fb2.jpg

pickle4_zpsc3650679.jpg

Pork:

pickle_zps4d75f1d2.jpg

pickle1_zps54936e23.jpg

pork1_zps3155a5dd.jpg

pickle5_zps72141945.jpg

The pork and veggies pickled until Sunday when I pan fried a small piece of pork to test. Intense! Needed a rinse and a brief soak to remove the excess salt for my purposes. I can see using this with the shoulder as an ingredient for red beans and rice, as many recipes out of South Louisiana (NOLA especially) called for.

At any rate, last night I decided to do a Char Siu.
Now, chicagokp (Kirk) had sent me a surprise when he forwarded some summer reading to me (THANKS KIRK!!!):

pickle1_zpsec6e8aa9.jpg

Which I used for a brief marinade in the cooking vessel of choice

pickle_zps3af07e19.jpg

pickle6_zps5289fff8.jpg

on the grill

pickle2_zps5dc4aabf.jpg

pickle3_zps1e477dd2.jpg

Which wound up on my plate like this...

pickle4_zps1a8c8255.jpg

A closer look at the veggies - drizzled with honey to compliment the salt and vinegar

pickle7_zps7424d93b.jpg

pickle5_zpsd55be783.jpg

I let the pork come up to 120 IT in the pan and sauce, then directly grilled it. The pork was quite good. Very intense, but it matched perfectly with the char siu sauce and pickled ginger when speared on the same bite.

I'll be doing this again. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by a moderator:
That is farking crazy good. Great cook and your pix are just out of control - top notch all the way around Guerry. :clap2:

I've been wanting to get into pickling and will probably start soon.

Back