Two 8 pound butts in a Mini UDS

I have no issues with ash buildup in my SJG, I love having the vents where they won't have any issues with ash. :thumb:

Matt, glad to see that it's working well :) I think this is a good example of taking the mini wsm to an extreme!

I picked up a couple of those NM/SE UF Cable Connectors at Lowes today. Let me know how well yours worked when you get a chance. I'm thinking about installing one on my drum but I'm concerned about that rubber holding up if I run my drum at 300 degrees or above...

I have no issues with ash buildup in my SJG, I love having the vents where they won't have any issues with ash. :thumb:

The vents are much better on the SJG (as you already know). You can modify the SJS simply by adding a small ball valve...just like you do on a UDS. Add it up high on the base and there will be no ash issues.

Matt, glad to see that it's working well :) I think this is a good example of taking the mini wsm to an extreme!

I picked up a couple of those NM/SE UF Cable Connectors at Lowes today. Let me know how well yours worked when you get a chance. I'm thinking about installing one on my drum but I'm concerned about that rubber holding up if I run my drum at 300 degrees or above...

Look on The BBQ Guru site. They sell a little hooter for WSM's that goes in one of the standard holes. It's hollow and allows for cables to enter the cooker. HERE is the link.

Matt- how much fuel did you go through on the cook? Interested in comparing notes versus the two 8lb butts I did on the offset yesterday. I probably went through 2/3 of a 20lb bag of kingsford blue for the butts. Were on at around 8-9 hours before they went in the cooler to rest. Next time I want to try the mini!

And nice job Chef Jim on joining the club!

Look on The BBQ Guru site. They sell a little hooter for WSM's that goes in one of the standard holes. It's hollow and allows for cables to enter the cooker. HERE is the link.

I have one of those already in my WSM but I got one from rock's bbq and I'm not totally happy with it. The tube is just a tad too long/narrow for some of my probes to pass through. The probes that have a bend on them have to be straightened out a little to fit. The package I got from Rock's had two grommets in it and I have one in the WSM and another in the drum. I'm gonna replace the one in the drum with this larger one.

If you're going to do two sizeable cuts of meat, be prepared for a substantially longer cooking time than in a larger cooker. I pulled these out of the pit after 15 hours because they were barely into the 170s and popped them in the oven at 375 until done. I couldn't afford to lose a whole night of sleep. JM and I chatted about it last night. The free air space to meat ratio is way smaller than in a UDS, so it will not cook as efficiently. In other words, be very patient.

I would like to build one of these to do the smaller items like moinks and abt's. maybe even some fatties

I have one of those already in my WSM but I got one from rock's bbq and I'm not totally happy with it. The tube is just a tad too long/narrow for some of my probes to pass through. The probes that have a bend on them have to be straightened out a little to fit. The package I got from Rock's had two grommets in it and I have one in the WSM and another in the drum. I'm gonna replace the one in the drum with this larger one.

Thanks for that info. They did mention a fit problem whith a certain thermometer.

After seeing that electrical plug in a couple of threads, I wonder how that tubing at the top of lamps would work? It's usually brass and looks like all-thread except it's hollow to allow the cord to run up to the switch. It could be cut to length and have a nut installed on each side.

CHECK it out.

This is the PP AFTER taking a crock pot of it to work and also having PP sandwiches for lunch. There'll be plenty to share at work tomorrow and still have a decent amount left at home....

IMG_2384.JPG

IMG_2385.JPG

Katie made a couple of PP sandwiches from dinner rolls for a snack this evening.... Bear thinks HE should be the one eatin' dat sammich!!

IMG_2386.JPG

Here's my dinner, decided to do my Coca-Cola KC Style sauce on one half and my Carolina sauce on the other.

IMG_2387.JPG

Back