First Chuckie

perky182

Got Wood.
Let me start with, "No Pictures.":shock: Wife took the camera with her to New York so I have no Pron. I do have a question though. What do you guys suggest for a finishing sauce. Should I use a vinegar base ala pulled pork or should I go with a beef broth base? I like both flavors, just don't know how the vinegar sauce will be with the pulled beef. I do like a peppery vinegar sauce with my brisket though.

One more question. Even though I have maintained a cooking temp between 225-250 my internal temperature 2 hours in is already up to 150. I believe I read somewhere that chucks have a long plateau and take longer to cook than Butts? Is this correct? I'm starting to get concerned that it is going to be done way early.

How big is the chusck? They do hit a long plateau but it just depends on he size and how much fat. If it is done too early you can hold it in a dry cooler wrapped in old towels or layers of newspaper. Preheat the cooler with hot water and then dry it out. If it is extremely early you can pull it and refridgerate it until time to eat and then reheat it.

For sauce, a vinegar based sauce doesn't work for me with beef, but that may be my tastebuds. I prefer a tomato based sauce that is not too sweet.

It is a 3.75lb boneless chuck with average amount of fat for a chuck roast. I'll keep my fingers crossed on time. What is the longest you guys have coolered one. I figure a couple of hours out to be safe, no?

Let me start with, "No Pictures.":shock: Wife took the camera with her to New York so I have no Pron. I do have a question though. What do you guys suggest for a finishing sauce. Should I use a vinegar base ala pulled pork or should I go with a beef broth base? I like both flavors, just don't know how the vinegar sauce will be with the pulled beef. I do like a peppery vinegar sauce with my brisket though.

One more question. Even though I have maintained a cooking temp between 225-250 my internal temperature 2 hours in is already up to 150. I believe I read somewhere that chucks have a long plateau and take longer to cook than Butts? Is this correct? I'm starting to get concerned that it is going to be done way early.

We can supply pictures :biggrin:

DSC02332a.jpg

DSC03414a.jpg

I generally wrap mine in foil (or put in an aluminum tray, dutch oven etc.) when the internal gets to 165°, adding some broth before sealing. Then I take them up to 195° or so. To the juices that accumulate in the foil, I'll add some butter and mix back in to the pulled beef. You can add some more rub too.

Thanks for the surrogate picture.:p That sounds delicious, I think I'll foil with beef broth and ad lib something from there.

This is what I prefer with Beef. It's Mighty Tasty....
Black Jack BBQ Sauce:
2 cups chopped sweet onion, 2 cups strong coffee, 1 cup catsup,
1 cup worcestershire, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup cider vinegar,
1/4 cup Texas Pete, 3 Tbls. chili powder, 6 cloves garlic minced,
2 tsp. salt
Combine in sauce pan, bring to simmer, simmer 1/2 hour....
attachment.php

Great pron everyone. There are a couple of great examples of what to do with a chuckie.

I've never smoked one that small, but I would imagine you are still looking at 1 to 1.5 hours a pound.

I just foiled it at 165. If it will stall for a couple of hours I can cooler it with no problem.
I did learn a valuable lesson this morning. There was a little water in the very bottom of the cooker from a storm last night. How it got under the cover and into the cooker I can't figure out. Anyway I didn't dump it out.:eek: As it turned to steam it collected under the drip pan and eventually dripped back down into the fire. I opened the lid to find everything covered in a nice white ash. Well I rinsed the chuck with beef broth so hopefully I got most of the ash off. If not I'll tell my wife it aids in the digestion.:grin:

N8man that sauce sounds good. I have some leftover coffee from this morning. I might have to give that one a try.

Black Jack BBQ Sauce:
2 tsp. salt
attachment.php

I'm at a loss for words.....

Black Jack BBQ Sauce:
2 tsp. salt
attachment.php
A picture is worth a million words, ahhh. That is a work of art!

If your looking for a quick easy finishing sauce try this...
Reserve the juices from the foil, slip it in the freezer for 5 min to seperate the fat then mix 1 part juice with 1 part bbq sauce and 1 part water...quick, easy, and yummy :)

Alright just to silence the naysayers, I took a picture with my cell phone.
For my first one it ended up pretty tasty, although not as tender as I was expecting. I used N8man's recipe for a finishing sauce and it was delicious. Thanks N8Man! So without further ado.......
Chuckie.jpg

Back