MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
BBQWildcat
On the road to being a farker

Default Brisket Temps

I have done 2 or 3 briskets, 1 flat and 2 fulls. I cant get them as tender as i would like them. I have heard info both ways, if u cook a brisket longer will it be super tender such as 200-205 or would that make it tougher. It usually tastes good just not as tender as i would like. I usually go to 195-200, If i pull it at 180-185 would it be more tender and juicy. I thought the longer u cooked it the more tender it would become... like a roast.

Thanks

Tuck
BBQWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
topchefvt52
Knows what a fatty is.

IMHO the ideal slicing temp for a brisket is 195 - 200. I usually pull them at 190, foil them, wrap them in a towel and transfer to an Igloo cooler for an hour. The sitting time will allow the juices to settle and the foil help prevent the juices from running out. I know a guy who foils at an internal temp of 160 and finishes the briskets, in foil to a temp of 195. The theory is that meat stops taking in smoke at 160. The foil prevents moisture from escaping for the remainder of the cook.

Other factors to consider:
Quality of meat? Always go with USDA Choice or better. Look them over...I like a packer with an end (thin end) that's at least an inch thick.
Size - my preference is 12 lbs.
Smoker temp - you didn't say. 225 o is the norm for most folks.
Rub - a salty rub applied more than an hour or so will extract moisture from the meat.
Slather - some cookers swear by them. I mix 1 part yellow mustard with 1 part Miracle Whip and lay it on (top, sides, bottom) pretty well...and sprinkle the slather with my rub.

My .02 Hope that helps.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
BBQWildcat
On the road to being a farker

thanks...it helps. I was just curious as to what others thought!

Tuck
BBQWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Step one for every novice (those who have less than 25 years of Brisket Experience)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...+train+brisket

Miss this step and your a girly man.

Step Two

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...irty+dalmatian

Be sure to watch video in that last link

Old 02-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Ride the train my friend....ride the train.