• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tips on Smoking Venison Roast

Pipin' Pig

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have a friend who's son bagged his first dear. They had it processed and have two roasts. One appears to be a hind quarter and the other a forequarter. I have pulled the hind quarter and we are planning on firing up the smoker tonight for the father's birthday.

Any tips on smoking a venison roast? Pork, chicken, beef (roasts or ribeyes), etc I am good. But I am worried about this being too gamy, tough, etc.

Please help! Search is my next click.

I would seriously suggest to not smoke a venison roast. instead I would chunk it into pieces, marinade, wrap with bacon and grill. Thats from this MN Deer hunter
alaska077vh0.jpg

I would seriously suggest to not smoke a venison roast. instead I would chunk it into pieces, marinade, wrap with bacon and grill. Thats from this MN Deer hunter
alaska077vh0.jpg
Hey thats a big 'un. I agree with the bacon wrapping but I have had success with smoking roasts as long as you trim as much of the exterior fatas you can. Marinate then season your meat and hot smoke 300- 325 to an internal temp of no more than 130 is reached.

and Im 6'1 350lbs. this thing was a monster. weighed 205 after the hide was removed

Some tips: Venison does not have fat, so moisture must be provided by you.

It is easy to overcook it and it will be tough.

The easiest is to wrap in foil, provide fat (I use butter), and hope it is a tender deer. Enoy.

A few years back at a comp, my brother showed up on friday night with some venison. I had never cooked one before so i treated it like a pork shoulder, injected and rubbed it, smoked it at 275 till i thougt it was done. My brother and his friends had nothing but good thigs to say about it.

Back