• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken box

I agree, it looks at little light but otherwise it looks great. Is that a Myron Mixon cupcake chicken formation or you own creation?

that'd get a 9 from me all day long. looks delicious.

i think you might be battling with amount of meat/seasoning ratios. those are some big thighs. look great, but will require more seasoning.

I agree, it looks at little light but otherwise it looks great. Is that a Myron Mixon cupcake chicken formation or you own creation?
Thanks. Nope, those guys are bone in and took some time to get shaped right.

K-Train , what was your scores for appearance? If that was at my table it would be a 9 on appearance. Color looks good to me. Our sauce makes ours darker but that chicken looks great.

Not to hijack the thread, but along the same lines....Do you guys think most judges want a lighter color sauced chicken, as seen above, or a mahogany color like Blues Hog gives you?

Not to hijack the thread, but along the same lines....Do you guys think most judges want a lighter color sauced chicken, as seen above, or a mahogany color like Blues Hog gives you?

Not to hijack your hijack, but judges "don't want" anything....
They are there to judge only what you present to be judged.
Ed

K-Train , what was your scores for appearance? If that was at my table it would be a 9 on appearance. Color looks good to me. Our sauce makes ours darker but that chicken looks great.
Two 9's, two 8's, and two 7's.

That actually is thinned out Blue Hog (white grape juice and another thinner sauce). I think I may have thinned it too much.

Kieth,

I don't know where the 7's came from. I judged a very similar looking box at Pork in the Park, but I think the sauce was lighter in color than yours, and I scored it a 9 on appearance (as I would yours).

The sample I had got hammered on texture. The one I judged was like biting a racketball! Really, I didn't even get through the skin with the first bite.

Kieth,

I don't know where the 7's came from. I judged a very similar looking box at Pork in the Park, but I think the sauce was lighter in color than yours, and I scored it a 9 on appearance (as I would yours).

The sample I had got hammered on texture. The one I judged was like biting a racketball! Really, I didn't even get through the skin with the first bite.
Thanks. Ours came out pretty bite through, just didn't have any flavor. Of course I only sampled one, so it could have been ours.

I'd prolly give it an 8 or 9 for Appearance my self. It's appealing enough to make me want a sample right now! Cheers!!!

Hey Keith, nice meeting you if only briefly. That's a nice looking box. You did a great job with the trimming.

hmmm.. I dunno.. maybe they got it wrong.. tell you what... cook them up the same way, and send them to my asap, I'll let you know!! ;-)

truthfully, they look good... maybe a little thin, but I think you got a lot of good feedback here....

Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate the comments. I think I won't thin the sauce as much and will season some more for sure. Thanks again.

Another CBJ here - I'd give it an 8, a bit light in color and the char spots (dark spots in or under the sauce) cost you a bit. I like the trim you did! The ends look like they could use a wee bit more sauce like the tops have. Those are some LARGE thighs!!!

Just my $0.02.

That is a nice box, really good one. I think the color is light on the ends a bit, but, not so it would detract. They are huge, you found a good source. Bummer on the taste, of course, that would be kinda important.

That is a nice box, really good one. I think the color is light on the ends a bit, but, not so it would detract. They are huge, you found a good source. Bummer on the taste, of course, that would be kinda important.
Yeah, I hear taste is important.:razz: Got them at safeway believe it or not. Safeway brand too, I just looked over all the packs to find some with lots of skin. Only cooked 14 for the comp.

Back