MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Ribs in advance???

Doing 12 racks for a party and I was looking to do them a day or 2 before. My question is should I freeze or fridge them? Should I leave them whole or cut them? Is reheating them in a sterno ok? Any advice is greatly appreciated... Thanks!
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]
biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

My first two answers would be fridge, not freezer and leave them whole.

It might just be me and my ribs, but I find re-heated ribs to not be the best. I've found that cooking them to almost done, maybe an hour short of finished, then cooling and finishing on the smoker works really well. Your style of 3-2-1 is what I'm talking about here. Cook for 3, foil and cook for two, then take them off the cooker and cool quickly and into the fridge. To finish them, unwrap from foil and put into an up to temp cooker and go till done. Should be about an hour.

Another way is cook till done, chill and re-heat on a grill for a different taste.
I would not reheat in a chafing dish.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
teej
On the road to being a farker

I would sear them on the grill to reheat. You want the ribs to taste fresh and not be soggy.
teej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
smokin joe's and son
Got Wood.

Under cook them by an hour, cool quickly, refridge, reheat wrapped individually in foil in oven at 250 degrees for 45 minutes, open foil, finish in oven for 15 minutes or on grill(ideal). I suggest doing a practice try with one slab to see if you are happy with it.
smokin joe's and son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

In my opinion, I would not want to eat ribs at a party cooked 2 days prior, regardless of how they were prepared.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks everyone!!! Going to do them the day of the party, it'll be a little more work but I don't want the taste to suffer.
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]
biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs98 View Post
Thanks everyone!!! Going to do them the day of the party, it'll be a little more work but I don't want the taste to suffer.
Ribs are not too labor intensive. This really is the best solution.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

When we go on our shore trip every year I always cook them about a week in advance and freeze them. I cook them until they were about 30 minutes from done. Then freeze them. I think I would freeze them even if it were only for 2 days rather than keep them in the refrigerator. The same principal as to why a flash frozen turkey is a lot of times a better product than a never frozen bird. The meat is frozen at the optimal point and instead of sitting on the shelf for a few days or in the fridge in this case. The ribs thaw fairly quickly so that shouldn't be a problem. You can always thaw them in cold water the morning of your party. I reheat mine on the grill but the oven would work fine as well. Sauce if you're into that thing gets applied the day of.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatpig View Post
In my opinion, I would not want to eat ribs at a party cooked 2 days prior, regardless of how they were prepared.
I know personal preference plays into this but I actually prefer to smoke my ribs a day or two before I eat them and let them sit in the frig. I've eaten ribs straight off the smoker and ribs that are a day or two in the frig. And TO ME it seems the ribs that have had time to sit and let the seasonings settle taste the best to me. But that's just me.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
I know personal preference plays into this but I actually prefer to smoke my ribs a day or two before I eat them and let them sit in the frig. I've eaten ribs straight off the smoker and ribs that are a day or two in the frig. And TO ME it seems the ribs that have had time to sit and let the seasonings settle taste the best to me. But that's just me.
I do the same for my personal consumption, but if I were to be cooking for a party, or a catering event, they would be fresh.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
Catfish Charlie
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
I couldn't agree more, and I learned it eating leftovers. If I'm cooking for friends and want the absolute best I can do, I purposefully cook 2-3 days in advance. After cooling I slice individually, sauce, and throw in the fridge. Exactly like spaghetti sauce or soup - the flavor gets better over time. 3 days seems best, then if they get older the taste starts to drop off. The texture even seems to get better - a little more tender and slides off the bone easier. I've not got anything but high compliments from doing this. The time I had my boss over for dinner my wife identifies as the best ribs she ever ate.
Catfish Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #12
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish Charlie View Post
I couldn't agree more, and I learned it eating leftovers. If I'm cooking for friends and want the absolute best I can do, I purposefully cook 2-3 days in advance. After cooling I slice individually, sauce, and throw in the fridge. Exactly like spaghetti sauce or soup - the flavor gets better over time. 3 days seems best, then if they get older the taste starts to drop off. The texture even seems to get better - a little more tender and slides off the bone easier. I've not got anything but high compliments from doing this. The time I had my boss over for dinner my wife identifies as the best ribs she ever ate.

Yeah, same here. It seems "fresh off the smoker", though still good, just doesn't allow the seasonings and juices to completely "settle" and "marry" with the rib meat. I've experimented with this enough times I know it isn't just a "myth" or a mental thing.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote