Help with Weber Kettle Charcoal Setup

Griz'BQ

Found some matches.
Happy Friday everybody! I'm looking for some tips/info with pics hopefully showing me your typical charcoal/wood setup for your 4-6 hour smokes.

I usually fire almost 1 full chimney full of either lump or kingsford until ashed, pour into one side of the kettle, set a water pan on the opposite (indirect) side of the grill, choke down intake vent and wait for the temp to stabalize where I want it and go from there; however, I always have to add more fuel and I have to constantly monitor/adjust vents to keep a consistent temp. Don't get me wrong, I love doing that....that is part of the que'ing experience, but there are times (like this weekend) where I wish I could leave for about 3 hours if I need to and know that my fire doesn't need more fuel while I'm gone.

Is it a modified minion method or something? Thanks in advance for any info and/or pics that you can provide!!!!!

When I'm feeling lazy - :becky: - I use a disposable lasagna pan shoved up against a side of the kettle directly on the coal grate. This leaves about a third of the volume for fuel. I load that with unlit briquettes leaving a depression on one side, add a couple chunks of wood and place about 10 to 15 fully lit in the depression and adjust my vents for the target temp accordingly. Here's a pic where you can sorta see what I'm describing. You can put a steel can or two of water in the pan if you so desire.

attachment.php

You're adding too much lit coal to the kettle. Make a two zone set up with mostly unlit charcoal on one side banked up the side, use a coal divider if you have one. Then pour about 10 lit coals on top of the unlit (minion method). Leave the top and bottom vents open 100% until you start to reach your desired temp. Start closing the bottom vent until the temp stabilizes at the temp you want. I leave the top vent open 100% but I know some people like to close it down to retain more of the smoke. Regulate the temp with the lower vent not the top. On my kettle when I do that mine run for 5-6 hours with the bottom vent only open about 1/2 inch. I don't use an aluminum pan.

Thanks Dequerre and Turkey!!!! That is exactly what I was looking for. I will give it a shot this weekend!! :thumb:

I use 2 bricks as dividers on my Kingsford Oval for long reverse sear cooks, also using a similar minion type method. On about 1.5 layer of unlit coals, I add anywhere from 5-12+ lit coals depending on if I'm cooking slow (around 250, or hot, around 350) For slower cooks I easily can get 2.5 hours out of this. If you're looking for 4 hours plus without having to refuel, you also might want to look into the Smokenator for Weber kettles.

I haven't smoked 4-6 hours on a kettle bePhore but a Phull large chimney of hot coals is way too much to use I think.
When I'm cooking on my Padawan's kettle I use about 18 lit bricks or less on top of the unlit coals...sort of minion method I guess.

The others above me have given the correct info allready.

IMG_0003.JPG

I haven't smoked 4-6 hours on a kettle bePhore but a Phull large chimney of hot coals is way too much to use I think.
When I'm cooking on my Padawan's kettle I use about 18 lit bricks or less on top of the unlit coals...sort of minion method I guess.

The others above me have given the correct info allready.

IMG_0003.JPG

Thanks Phubar, I appreciate it!

Back